Spike Camp

Hunting partner buck

Hunting partner buck
« on: October 11, 2020, 08:39:45 PM »
I had tye kids and couldn't got out this morning. Messaged my hunting partner and told him it would be the perfect storm with weather, moon cycle and temp drop. He hiked out to my spot and after 5 minutes of waiting killed a nice buck. 20 yds from where I shot the B&C cougar I got last year. Made me feel really good to watch that population bounce back and have my friend (traditionally a stand hunter) kill his 1st Western Mountain buck!
a 1/2" group is good enough for the girls I go with!

BB340

• View Profile
Re: Hunting partner buck
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 09:38:48 PM »
Nice one. Did your partner take any photos of the buck whilst still out in the bush? As in like a trophy photo?
Aussie gun nut.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 05:24:15 AM »
Good job!
Mike

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 05:43:04 AM »
Very nice mature buck. Are the eye guards usually short on western mountain bucks or do they vary in length across the board? Does your partner have a guess on the live weight of the deer?
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 05:50:49 AM »
Nice one. Did your partner take any photos of the buck whilst still out in the bush? As in like a trophy photo?

You mean with the head on the body, Brett?  ;)

Jlorsun

Gear of you to think of your buddy and that must have been a fantastic new experience for him. Has he said what type of hunting he prefers now?
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 07:09:53 AM »
Here is one in the field

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 07:11:11 AM »
Usually blacktails have really short eye guards if they have them. I have taken a few mature 4x4s with no guards.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 11:08:41 AM »
Very nice, congrats to your friend!

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 03:22:34 PM »

You mean with the head on the body, Brett?  ;)

Jlorsun

Gear of you to think of your buddy and that must have been a fantastic new experience for him. Has he said what type of hunting he prefers now?

Yep head on body and in a nice position. I find that a lot of US hunters tend to just take a photo with the dead animal in the back of a pickup, hanging upside down being dressed out etc etc.
I just don't find those type of photos appealing and much prefer to show the animal in tack and in a nice position in the bush without too much blood showing... But thats just me...
Aussie gun nut.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 03:23:22 PM »
Here is one in the field

Nice thanks. I find they photo much nicer to look at.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 06:22:24 PM »
nice one!

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 12:24:02 AM »
Jlorsun - my message should have read "great" and not "gear" of you to think of your buddy....

Brett makes an interesting comment. Here in Africa we have some tough conditions packing out animals in some mountainous areas, but this is hardly the norm. In such conditions they are generally carried out over the shoulders or with poles, or with an Eland recovery I did one on a piece of corrugated iron to make a sled. Seldom do we need to cut and quarter animals and carry them out on foot with several trips to recover the animal and there is also often the ability to get a vehicle close and / or quite a few hands to help.

I've seen many photos of mountain hunts of goats and sheep and Alaskan hunts etc where the pics are taken back at camp and where it may be the skull only or the head only with the backskin still attached etc. I do think it comes to some extent from packing animals out is tough conditions (maybe snow or in the dark) etc. whereas mostly we get good weather, daylight and the camera from the truck when it arrives.

I do think there is something to be said for nicely set up trophy pictures if you can do that. They are a lot cheaper than taxidermy for one and they really do look like the animal whilst many mounts never do.
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 10:23:28 AM »
That angled tree (or big branch) looks like a great hang spot to process a deer. Looks like rope on it, so I guess that's his location to do it.
Come and take it.

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 06:37:22 AM »
Its a cedar tree that tipped out when it was small and took root at an angle (in my back yard). Its perfect for deer. I don't even need a spreader I just use 2 ropes with D clips.