Spike Camp

Accumark 6.5 RPM Accuracy??

Accumark 6.5 RPM Accuracy??
« on: October 20, 2020, 12:27:51 PM »
Just received my new Accumark 6.5 RPM from the Weatherby Custom shop (blueprinted action and some other touches). Pulled out all the stops with this one as I have 15 year old 300wby accumark that is a real shooter with nearly everything I feed it. I hoped this would be a tack driver too so I topped with Near one piece base / rings and a Nightforce NX8. Currently have around 35 rounds though it and have been very diligent in break-in with 2 different types of factory ammo (140gr interlock and 140 AB). No longer showing much of any copper in the barrel. Have to say I am disappointed in the accuracy. Best I have been able to produce a 1.5" 3 shot group at 100 yards with either type of factory ammo. Many of the groups are closer to 2.2"-2.5". Up to this point I have been shooting without the break on. Would that make a big difference adding the break? All screws have been torqued to spec and checked again multiple times. Just trying to get it broke in to hopefully use this fall and will start working up some hand loads over the winter. Anyone else with a 6.5 RPM having accuracy issues? What are others seeing with factory ammo? Thoughts on the 127gr lrx factory loads? Other hunting bullet types to try? I had really hoped with the blueprinting of the action and the quality bases and glass I would consistently be well under a 1' group. Any thoughts, suggestions and or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
Re: Accumark 6.5 RPM Accuracy??
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 03:30:42 PM »
I presume it's guaranteed accuracy. Contact Weatherby on that one!  Good Luck!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 05:24:43 PM »
From the custom shop, did it come with the target and factory load they used? Not sure if they do
I would try different loads
Mike

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 08:43:55 PM »
If it has a brake I would use it unless you don’t plan on hunting with the brake, then leave it off. Those sizes of shot groups do seem large. Have some one else shoot and see what happens. Last of all, I would let the barrel cool about two minutes between shots.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 09:03:46 PM »
Try to keep copper from the bore. My tikka 6.5x55 was a real pig during the break in period because of that fast twist of 1:8 same as the rpm.

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 09:14:19 PM »
Since you haven't tried with the brake on, you might as well try both ammo with the brake on, to see what happens. Also, try some of the 127gr ammo, to see if it's better.

Rob

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 06:53:44 AM »
Ouch, that is disappointing. My 6.5 RPM Accumark likes the factory Weatherby Select 140 gr Interlocks. It is grouping sub moa with groups in .6 to .9 range. These are three shot groups, without the brake. Hope your 6.5 RPM settles down for you.
Duane

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 03:14:30 PM »
Thanks all for providing some input. I called Weatherby Customer Service as suggested and they immediately told me to send the gun back and they will have a gunsmith take a look at it asap. Relieved they were so willing to help. Confirms that's why I bought a Weatherby! Only down side is having to pull the glass and bases and send it off. Hopefully they can figure it out!

bluemts

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 05:26:43 PM »
Please update as you get through the process. Always good to hear the outcome and cause. THX

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020, 07:25:52 AM »
Sorry for the delay getting back to you with an update. Weatherby shot the rifle in house with 140 AB's as requested. First group was .99, second and 3rd 3 shot groups were just under that. They said the closely examined the rifle and thought it might be copper fouling. $200 fee for them to look at and it was back to my door in just over a week.

Changes copper solvent (went to sweets) and cleaned the hell out of the barrel. There was quite a bit of copper, so that could have been the issue. Put the muzzle break on and went to the range. 3 rounds to re-zero and its been shooting .5 groups since.

Guess it was operator error and not using the right solvents during break-in.  Still getting some copper showing up after 40 rounds.

Thanks

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 11:30:31 AM »
For some unknown reason, some rifle barrels seem to copper foul faster than others, kinda like some barrels don't like all the same ammo's as others.
DosEquisShooter

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2020, 11:33:36 AM »
Do you reload? If so, I suggest the powders that have anti-coppering agents such as IMR-7977, RL-23 and RL-26. The other part is plain ol Hoppes #9 has some copper-removing agents and does a decent job of keeping moving out some of the copper without a lot of elbow grease involved in scrubbing the barrel. I agree that having some copper in the barrel is OK. A totally clean barrel is not necessarily a good one when it comes to accuracy in my opinion.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 09:42:43 PM »
Agree. A lightly fouled barrel shooting sub MOA at the range is the way to head into the hunting season. You can clean your barrel  all year long after range outings if you want, but very few rifles shoot to the same point of aim with a squeaky clean barrel.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 09:55:44 PM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter