Spike Camp

Magazine Tube Extension for SA-459

Magazine Tube Extension for SA-459
« on: November 10, 2020, 09:10:06 PM »
Hello!

I Just bought a Weatherby shotgun and I'd like to get a magazine tube extension for it. I have the SA-459 22" 12ga Shotgun w/ Pistol Grip, Black Synthetic - SA459SY1222PGM.

I'm interested in this particular product:
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1848780

I like the fact that it comes with a clamp with a picatinny rail as I plan to add a light as well. I'm just not 100% positive if this will be compatible with my shotgun. I know there are a few versions of the SA-459 around, plus there's also the SA-08 which is very similar, so I just want to be sure. Also, does this extension require any modification to the magazine tube?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 08:04:42 AM by abolduc0079 »

Re: Magazine Tube Extension for SA-459
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 01:38:15 AM »
https://nordiccomp.com/product-category/shotgun/shotgun-accessories/

I got a set of nordic stuff and it fit and works great, ours use the benelli nova / supernova kit. you need a nut, tube, cap and spring, they also have a clamp with picatinny and sling qd socket available

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 09:36:17 AM »
...I Just bought a Weatherby shotgun... SA-459 22" 12ga Shotgun w/ Pistol Grip, Black Synthetic - SA459SY1222PGM...

Bought the exact same shotgun  8)  picked it up Nov 12th after CA 10 day background check / waiting period.
Great post and will consider purchasing the same mag tube extension.

Btw, i've been researching buck and bird shot and having trouble finding ammo (locally) that meet the min. load requirements of 1.25oz load - 1330 velocity.  PITA because most of my local shops have limited ammo choices with all this BS civil unrest going on  ::)

Anyway... can't wait to go shooting.  Keep us updated on your new upgrades - your experience with these parts will help me.  so thanks for posting and sharing.

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 06:20:20 PM »
So I did receive this product in the mail today and can't recommend it. I'm kinda new to firearms in general, so I may be doing something wrong. But it seems that with the way the Weatherby tube is designed, you can't add a tube extension unless you remove the small lip at the end of the tube that holds the magazine plug in place. I checked and the brass rim of a 12ga shell won't even pass through it anyway, so that part would need to be removed with a Dremel. I believe it is aluminum, so I don't think it would be very difficult to do, but I'm not 100% comfortable with trying it at the moment. Aside from that, the clamp with picatinny rail attachment that comes with it just won't clamp to the barrel. I tightened it as much as I possibly could, and it just slid up and down. So the whole kit is pretty useless.

https://nordiccomp.com/product-category/shotgun/shotgun-accessories/

I got a set of nordic stuff and it fit and works great, ours use the benelli nova / supernova kit. you need a nut, tube, cap and spring, they also have a clamp with picatinny and sling qd socket available

I think I'm going to return this product and hold off on a magazine extension for now, but I'm looking at these Nordic ones for the near future. Are these tubes meant to replace your existing tube? Because if they're extensions, I would imagine you'd still have to file down the lip on the end of the Weatherby tube.

...I Just bought a Weatherby shotgun... SA-459 22" 12ga Shotgun w/ Pistol Grip, Black Synthetic - SA459SY1222PGM...

Bought the exact same shotgun  8)  picked it up Nov 12th after CA 10 day background check / waiting period.
Great post and will consider purchasing the same mag tube extension.

Btw, i've been researching buck and bird shot and having trouble finding ammo (locally) that meet the min. load requirements of 1.25oz load - 1330 velocity.  PITA because most of my local shops have limited ammo choices with all this BS civil unrest going on  ::)

Anyway... can't wait to go shooting.  Keep us updated on your new upgrades - your experience with these parts will help me.  so thanks for posting and sharing.

Congrats on picking one up! I tried mine out this weekend and loved it. So far I got the basic Weatherby black sling and a Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 Red Dot and tried them both out. The sling is simple but does the job. The red dot is very cheap, $80 on Amazon right now, but it holds up to the recoil fine. We'll see if it lasts after a while, but it was recommended by a few people as a decent shotgun red dot, so for $80 I figured I'd try it out.

As far as ammo, I tried out two different types. Both were 2 3/4". The Federal Clay Target Shotshells at 1 1/8 oz didn't cycle at all with the heavy load piston. I had to fully charge the bolt manually to eject each shell. I figured that might happen since their velocity is rated at 1200 fps. When I switched to the light load piston, they did better. Each shell almost fully ejected, but I had to kind of pull or shake them out. Maybe with a little more breaking in, these shells will work better.

The second type was the Winchester Long Beard XR Lead Turkey Load at 1 1/4 oz.

https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Shotshell/Long-Beard-XR/STLB125

These things cycled flawlessly with the heavy load piston and of course had a much more exciting kick. I know the manual recommends 1330 velocity for the SA-459, but these are rated at 1300 and worked perfectly. I got them specifically for home defense or potentially future turkey hunting, but so far they're all I can recommend. Next I'd like to try out the Winchester AA Super Sport shells, as they're also rated at 1300 fps, so they should work better for target shooting.

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 08:51:25 PM »
Yes, you will need to remove the rolled lip, make sure to get it smooth or a little flared to prevent the follower from catching it on the way.

I have been shooting

12 Gauge - 2-3/4" 1-1/8" #8 Shot - Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics with the light piston and they've functioned perfectly.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 09:22:40 PM »
I have a SA-459, 22. Just got it in Dec 2020. Got Nordic Comp nut for benelli nova/supernova, 3rd extension (comes up 1/2 in short of barrell) and the mossberg clamp with pic rail. Cut the spring with 20 sticking out of mag. All components work excellent. Yes, I did have to grind small lip from inside of factory mag tube.