Spike Camp

Swift Scirocco II and meat damage.

eford

• View Profile
Swift Scirocco II and meat damage.
« on: December 20, 2020, 08:35:08 PM »
Last week I used a 100 grain Swift Scirocco II bullet to take a big White tail buck. Impact velocity at 380 yards was in the neighborhood of 2700 FPS. Yea, that’s fast but it’s from a 257 Weatherby.
The entry hole was hard to find but eventually, behind the R front leg, I found the hole. There was virtually no blooded meat. There was less than a baseball size spot of soaked meat on the opposite side at the likely exit spot although I never found the actual hole. No bones were hit.
All of this means the non-fragmenting bullets such as the Scirocco and the Accubond are more likely to punch a great hole, bust vital tissue and not become a meat grenade. Food for thought.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
Re: Swift Scirocco II and meat damage.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 05:20:04 AM »
i'm a fan of the nosler and swift - prefer the scirocco's shoot them in a variety of calibers. I too have similar experience with terminal performance. I don't load but i had some made from hendershots that shoot really well in a couple of my 257's.

My stepson reloads and i just passed down my 257 accumark to him and i purchased the 3 die set and it's on the way. Any insight on your 100 grain scirocco load would be greatly appreciated!

Donnie

Re: Swift Scirocco II and meat damage.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 08:13:42 AM »
The few caliber's I tried to get them to shoot well in, didn't have very good results. For the high price of them, I gave up on them, but I might have to try them again in the future.

Rob