Spike Camp

Something coming from Winchester?

Re: Something coming from Winchester?
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2021, 03:26:16 PM »
Is it really an improvement over the 270 Wby? From what I've read if the Wby had the same twist, the Wby would be a better cartridge. I'll stick with The Roy.

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2021, 03:36:41 PM »
Is it really an improvement over the 270 Wby? From what I've read if the Wby had the same twist, the Wby would be a better cartridge. I'll stick with The Roy.
Maybe Winchester has available ammo /brass and load info on introduction! I haven't closed my mind on this, yet. New and different is scary to some. LOL!

« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2021, 07:44:05 PM »
It does seem kind of a specialty cartridge, but it may be worth looking into for some of us unlucky people that must use lead free. This type of cartridge/rifle would allow the ammo makers to make lead free ammo in heavier weights because they can make the bullets long enough to give them a better BC. Imagine a lead free 160 grain .277 caliber lead free bullet that had a bc of .50 or better.

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2021, 08:24:50 AM »
Don't get me wrong...I love Winchester rifles.  I have a lot of Winchester Model 70s and with all respect to Weatherby Mark Vs...I actually like the Model 70 better (I'll probably take a beating for that statement).  Although I don't own one, I think the 270 WSM appears to be a good cartridge as well.

That said...I just don't get this particular new cartridge (6.8 Western).  Heavier bullets out of a .277 cartridge?  If that is the desire, just buy a 7mm or .30 cal. 

I get the long range thing as well, but I just fail to see the advantage to a short magnum .270 in that pursuit as well.  If I was a really dedicated .277 cartridge fan that wanted to shoot heavier bullets at long range, I would probably go for a 27 Nosler.

This feels like the period when Remington came out with the Ultra Mags and Winchester came out with the Winchester Short Magnums.  Remington kind of won that round with the Ultra Mags and the Winchester Short Magnum cartridges languished.  I realize the Ultra Mags have fallen out of favor a bit with the general shooting public, but it seems like they have maintained a following in the long range groups.

A winchester 70 featherweight is one of the sexiest rifles on the planet for sure. But so are mark V's with laser etching or high gloss, oh the choices! It's quite simple life's to short to shoot an ugly gun! ;)

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2021, 03:14:01 PM »
The only ugly guns are the inaccurate ones!  LOL!

« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2021, 06:07:43 PM »
The only ugly guns are the inaccurate ones!  LOL!

Ya, Pretty is, as Pretty does.
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2021, 08:45:26 PM »
A .270 with 130-150 grain bullet I would stick with a Weatherby.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2021, 10:12:48 AM »
Wyominghunter,  I love the Winchester model 70's also.     Even the model 70 XTR  models and 670 push feed series are not bad rifles.   For someone looking to get in the game there are some pretty decent deals on the older XTR & 670 used Winchester's that are  better rifles  Imo than some of the current entry level rifles from other makers.   That can also be said with the mid 80's and older  Remington  700's or pre date that a few years with their 721 & 722.       

« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2021, 10:17:52 AM »
In the ultimate of ironies...I have a Winchester Model 70 XTR, factory chambered in none other than...the 270 Weatherby Magnum!

The rifle was given to me years ago as a “thank you” for my amateur guiding services on prairie dogs (Ha! Ha!). It is in perfect condition and is incredibly accurate.
JK

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2021, 10:29:36 AM »
That's a keeper !   Great hunting rifle.    I always keep my eye out for these older rifles ,  they are getting more pricy for sure. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 10:33:29 AM by zonie »

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2021, 12:51:45 PM »
I bought my first Model 70 when they said no more to be made. It was a deal at Bass Pro. Buy the gun and they threw in a 2 gun metal case. I got the last case and I had a choice of calibers. There were 2 left, a 270wsm and a 7mm WSM. I [picked the 7mm just because I liked the laminate stock better on that one.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2021, 07:06:41 PM »
One More Day!
DosEquisShooter

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2021, 08:51:55 AM »
I didn't find anything on the internet announcing the Winchester (ground breaking) innovation, but I copied part of a release I received in an email today.
                                                       Overview
Our biggest release of the year, the 6.8 Western offers impressive long-range accuracy, low recoil and staggering knockdown power when you need it for both long-range shooting and hunting.
BROWSE PRODUCT FEATURES
AMMO OVERVIEW
6.8 WESTERN DESIGN
PERFORMANCE SPECS

6.8 WESTERN DESIGN
Long, heavy bullets are ideal for big game hunting and long-range precision shooting
The cartridge design is the largest on the market to fit into lighter, short-action rifles like the Winchester Model 70, Winchester XPR and Browning X-Bolt Pro
Faster twist rates of 1:8 allow the use of heavyweight .277 cal bullets up to 175gr
BROWSE PRODUCT FEATURES
AMMO OVERVIEW
6.8 WESTERN DESIGN
PERFORMANCE SPECS

PERFORMANCE SPECS
Heavier bullet weights than 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC and 270 WSM
More energy than 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC and 7mm Rem Mag
Less recoil than 300 WSM, 300 Win Mag and 300 PRC
Short action for fast cycling, high accuracy and reduced rifle weight
Take a deeper dive into 6.8 WESTERN >
BRAND   Expedition Big Game Long Range, Ballistic Silvertip, Match
CALIBER   6.8 Western
BULLET TYPE   Accubond LR, Ballistic Silvertip, Match BTHP
RNDS/BOX   20 rnds
BROWSE PRODUCT FEATURES
AMMO OVERVIEW
6.8 WESTERN DESIGN
PERFORMANCE SPECS

6.8 WESTERN BALLISTIC SILVERTIP®
Ballistic Silvertip® ammunition provides hunters proven immediate knock-down and extreme precision. Innovation combined with engineering excellence makes Ballistic Silvertip® the choice for those who appreciate the legendary excellence Winchester is known for around the world.

Long, heavy bullets ideal for big game hunting and long-range precision shooting

6.8 WESTERN® MATCH®
For serious rifle competition, trust Match ammunition. Combining proven Winchester technology with proven bullets, the hollow point boattail design provides the precision match shooters demand, shot after shot.

Long, heavy bullets ideal for long-range precision shooting

DosEquisShooter

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2021, 09:03:55 AM »
Thanks Dano,   I'll get online and see if they have performance specs on these new products.

« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2021, 10:06:53 AM »
Not of much interest to me personally, but here is a link to more information on the 6.8 Western:

https://primedfor21.winchester.com/?utm_source=MailChimp&utm_medium=OwnedEmail&utm_campaign=Winchester&utm_content=Primed_for21
JK