Spike Camp

Something coming from Winchester?

Something coming from Winchester?
« on: December 25, 2020, 12:24:40 PM »
I saw this on Facebook and thought I would share with the group.  Sounds like Winchester is going to release a "groundbreaking" long range cartridge in the first days of 2021 (see attached).

Some of my cohorts believe they are releasing the 6.5mm WSM (known as a 6.5 Leopard as a wildcat) as a factory cartridge.  I do not believe that cartridge would be very "groundbreaking", but you never know.

I'll update the group when I see some kind of update...
JK

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
Re: Something coming from Winchester?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 01:21:39 PM »
Makes you wonder they kinda had there butts blistered on the WSM's with exception of 270 and 300. I always wanted a 25 just cause i like quarter bores, but components are made of unobtanium!

We shall see i always thought the concept was cool just didn't win popularity;

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 01:50:51 PM »
Is there going to be a Shot show this year? Maybe Winchester is getting into the MSR market?

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 01:53:58 PM »
I think the Winchester Short Magnums are ok, but they really weren’t enough of a gain to make everyone get rid of their full length magnums (300 Win Mag, 7mm Remington Mag, etc.).

The full length versions are just too entrenched.

I know some people like the 270 WSM, but it really doesn’t beat out the 270 Weatherby Magnum.
JK

txaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 02:03:52 PM »
no but people who cus the expense of Weatherby guns and ammo found that as a viable/arguable option. I still here the pissing contests, yours can't do anything mine cant do for half the price ;).

I'm a Weatherby man and there's not argument in my book, but the 270WSM worked out ok for winchester.

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 02:55:52 PM »
I think the Winchester Short Magnums are ok, but they really weren’t enough of a gain to make everyone get rid of their full length magnums (300 Win Mag, 7mm Remington Mag, etc.).

The full length versions are just too entrenched.

I know some people like the 270 WSM, but it really doesn’t beat out the 270 Weatherby Magnum.
I have 3 WSM's 270, 7mm and 325. The 7mm is my most accurate hunting rifle I own, followed closely by the 325 . The downhill was because of a law suit. I do have plenty of loaded ammo and brass on hand for all of them. My 270Wby is 1 in 12 and limited in loads.

txaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2020, 03:11:50 PM »
seems allot of the users are loaders - but at Winchesters price points you have to chase the users looking for a box of ammo on the shelves. Yes i'm sure your right about the lawsuit.

I have two 7mm wsm's - very accurate FWT and classic with FWT stock lots of loaded ammo kick like mules! :)

But i love me some featherweights too! 

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2020, 03:25:14 PM »
My 325 and 7mm are model 70 Winchesters. I'll hunt any critter in North America with them.

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2020, 03:26:17 PM »
no but people who cus the expense of Weatherby guns and ammo found that as a viable/arguable option. I still here the pissing contests, yours can't do anything mine cant do for half the price ;)

I don’t know how many times I’ve been in discussions of factory ammo costs vs Weatherby ammo costs and my patience long enough to help people understand the costs of premium ammo (that they want) is very close to the same. When they also understand the cost savings of reloading it really gets interesting.

A factory 6.5mm Leopard from Winchester will be another attention getter. IF a there is a lot of ammo on the shelves when the rifles are in the store it MIGHT be one of the few rifle-ammo combinations available. We shall see.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

Buckleman

• B-MAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 03:33:46 PM »
The 6.5 thing is killing me. Build a 6.5-06 load it go hunting.

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2020, 03:37:57 PM »
For 270 fans, now there is the 27 Nosler, which may be less expensive to shoot than the 270 Weatherby Mag (no ammo to know for sure).

I own several .30 magnums, 7mm magnums, 270 Weatherby, and even a 8mm Remington Magnum. There was absolutely no drive for me to invest in the Winchester Short Magnums.
JK

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2020, 06:52:17 PM »
After finding out that the 25 WSM couldn't achieve the velocities of a 25-06 I lost interest,  Now I curious to see how this 6.5  will compare with my 6.5 X 280 AI.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2020, 07:10:59 PM »
After finding out that the 25 WSM couldn't achieve the velocities of a 25-06 I lost interest,  Now I curious to see how this 6.5  will compare with my 6.5 X 280 AI.

It won't if it's on the WSM case
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2020, 07:10:24 AM »
None of the WSMs do anything special.
The 270, 7mm and 300 are the only ones alive and kicking. There are a few 325s but not many. The only Remington super short Version still
going is the 7mm.
I was going to build a 25 WSM just because. But calmed down over the Hype and did a 25-284. Glad I did!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 07:12:26 AM by ifuonlynu »
I know what I know if you know what I mean

txaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2020, 07:18:06 AM »
the 25wssm was always a novelty item for me i still may get silly enough to pull the trigger one day. But finding a good fwt reasonably priced is another issue, if i'm going to pay that much for a gun it's going to have mark v stamped on the site! :)