Spike Camp

Something coming from Winchester?

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
Re: Something coming from Winchester?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2020, 07:24:05 AM »
The 6.5 thing is killing me. Build a 6.5-06 load it go hunting.

i had a chance to buy a 6.5-06 in a ruger no 1, i fiddle farted around to long and someone else made the deal. I kick myself today for procrastinating on that one!

257 Shooter

• 257 Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2020, 07:56:34 AM »
Yes, the 6.5-06 would be terrific. We already have the SAAMI standard, A-square. Brass is easily formed, it feeds perfectly and fits any standard action. More short magnums, bah! To each their own, I guess.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2020, 08:11:06 AM »
I bid on a 25 WSSM in a model 70 featherweight not to long ago.Didn't get it though.Sure would like to have one
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

zonie

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2020, 06:20:00 PM »
They are all built the same way , primer,  brass case , powder and bullet.    We need to think outside the box !  Manufacturers and wildcatters for over a century have basically made in some form or another of the same thing where ammo is concerned,  stretch it out , shrink it down, neck it up, neck it down, put more powder in it , there isn't a whole lot that hasn't been done by wildcatters  ,   just may not have heard about it or not published.   The problem with gun builders and ammo companies in general is they are slow to react,  more traditionalist in practice which is probably ok for some people.  This bleeds down to powders to a certain extent, bullet makers for sure, these guy's can built pretty much whatever you want if they wanted to.   The buying public is driving the market. Things that should have been perfected by now are  caseless ammo been out since the late 60's.    Telescoped ammo a work in progress,  composite ammo in the works,  Sigs new fury type ammo looks promising as a step in the right direction I guess.   These really are  Military  driven  projects for the most part imo.   We need new and more outside the box (ammo capabilities that are way more advanced  futurist comcepts) and the rifle builders, ammo & propellent makers will follow.   This is where bullet and propellent companies need to lead rather than follow,  (notice I didn't say powder) we  need to look in a different direction and alternate ways of getting the bullets/projectiles out the barrel.  I'm not so sure looking at smoothe bore , sabot, fin or orifice stabilized guided small arms  munitions  isn't that far in the future if not already here.  Recoiless small arms handguns, rifles & shotguns  should be way farther along in development.     
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 09:05:58 AM by zonie »

Buckleman

• B-MAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2020, 07:55:58 PM »
Smoth bore, sabots don't leave a good way to trace a bore on weapon.

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2020, 08:46:24 PM »
I saw this on Facebook and thought I would share with the group.  Sounds like Winchester is going to release a "groundbreaking" long range cartridge in the first days of 2021 (see attached).

Some of my cohorts believe they are releasing the 6.5mm WSM (known as a 6.5 Leopard as a wildcat) as a factory cartridge.  I do not believe that cartridge would be very "groundbreaking", but you never know.

I'll update the group when I see some kind of update...

You mean like a .264 Win mag??
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2020, 08:48:56 AM »
I don’t have any of the WSM cartridges and I haven’t researched the 6.5 Leopard extensively.

That said, I have a 264 Winchester Mag and I suppose, in theory, the 6.5 Leopard would be similar in performance.

I don’t necessarily believe that is the “groundbreaking” cartridge Winchester is releasing, however.
JK

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2020, 09:00:07 AM »
Maybe, just maybe it could be in the .375 range. They do not have anything between .338 Win mag and .458 win mag for elk and larger sized game.

zonie

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2020, 09:18:25 AM »
Smoth bore, sabots don't leave a good way to trace a bore on weapon.

I'm not sure that's a good thing or bad thing,  I'll leave that to each persons views and  perspectives.  If some one wanted to make a none traceable  bullet  shot from a specific weapon I would imagine it's already been done.   

zonie

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2020, 09:31:37 AM »
I just don't see anything new and exciting that would cause me to drop what I'm doing and rush right out and buy one.  We been playing in the same sand box for over a hundred years, switching the marbles around a little bit and calling it good is stagnating, and that's not good,  IMO.   My comments are really to get people thinking and to get manufacturers off their rear ends and start really pushing the limits of imagination.

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2020, 10:37:18 AM »
I just don't see anything new and exciting that would cause me to drop what I'm doing and rush right out and buy one.  We been playing in the same sand box for over a hundred years, switching the marbles around a little bit and calling it good is stagnating, and that's not good,  IMO.   My comments are really to get people thinking and to get manufacturers off their rear ends and start really pushing the limits of imagination.
  +1 When I start looking at  rifles my wife asks "Don't you already have something that does that"?

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2020, 11:04:05 AM »

The BATF would take years to "approve" anything like that, wouldn't they?  :)

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2020, 12:27:30 PM »
To your point oldchet, I have a 9.3x64 Brenneke and a 358 STA (Shooting Times Alaskan) and I think they are super cool cartridges and rifles.

That said, the market is pretty limited for calibers larger than .338. I couldn’t, in good conscience, tell someone they “needed” a cartridge in that size range.

They’re fun for a few things, but you can accomplish much the same with a smaller cartridge.
JK

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2020, 03:27:00 PM »
I think they are releasing the 6.8 Western next year , basically a 270 wsm but with a faster twist barrel . Its slightly shorter so it can feed vlds from the mag

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2020, 04:08:36 PM »
Oh Lord...if they think that is groundbreaking, they’ll be sorely disappointed with the response from the buying public.
JK