Spike Camp

SA-08 won’t cycle HELP.

SA-08 won’t cycle HELP.
« on: January 06, 2021, 08:59:15 PM »
I just purchased a SA-08 semi automatic and we just used it today for the first time and it will not cycle the rounds, WHY? I have shells that are at 1300 velocity and 1600 velocity and it will not cycle the rounds. I have to manually rack the rounds, and then it jammed it would not let me pull the ejector back I had to really pull really hard.
I would really like this to work without having to buy shells I cannot afford, and now I have shells that won’t work right?
Please help

Buckleman

• B-MAN
    • View Profile
Re: SA-08 won’t cycle HELP.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 09:29:52 PM »
What rifle is it? If the load is to light it will act like it's over max. Try factory loads. Could be a dirty chamber. Hand loads should be at lowest load in books. Small base die for hand loads.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 09:51:01 PM »
What rifle is it? If the load is to light it will act like it's over max. Try factory loads. Could be a dirty chamber. Hand loads should be at lowest load in books. Small base die for hand loads.
The SA-08 is a shotgun.

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 04:25:09 AM »
Call the Weatherby service center.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 04:40:57 AM »
Hmm...unusual for a new semi-automatic to not cycle.

I assume this is a 12 gauge? What length shells were you shooting?
JK

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 05:58:02 AM »
Most cycling issues i've seen have been shooter related. Most shooters are not leaning into the gun allowing it to have resistance enough to cycle. Perhaps its that simple, if this is a new gun and we can't find a simple solution it's time to call the factory or who you purchased the shotgun from.

Might also pull it apart and give her a good clean sometimes the factory oil gets gummed due to long storage of the firearm.

Hope you find your solution - Donnie

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 06:04:16 AM »
Sounds like the chamber is dirty if the case gets stuck that bad
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 06:58:49 AM »
Is it factory new? If not, a good cleaning should help. Factory new? Call Weatherby about it.  :) Welcome to the nation!

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 07:19:53 AM »
Make sure you have the correct gas piston in place. Light piston for 1 1/8 oz  down, and heavy piston for 1 1/4 oz up. If you are shooting a target load with the heavy piston in, it will behave exactly as described. Mine is 6 yrs old and has never failed to cycle....not even once (with the right piston in place). I can shoot 7/8 oz loads all day long.

Failing that, check the gas ports. Used guns can have carbon build up, while new guns may have grease in the ports restricting gas flow. (A new Remington 1187 taught me that lesson). I use a small drill bit twisted by my fingers only to clean the ports. Do not use and power tool for this under any circumstances.

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 03:24:31 PM »
+1 Was about to add pretty much the same suggestion.
Come and take it.