Spike Camp

Buzzards Roosting On My Roof

musicman

• View Profile
Buzzards Roosting On My Roof
« on: January 12, 2021, 11:31:56 PM »
Now to top off all of the other bad news, some MF buzzards have decided to roost on the roof and in the trees around my house.   I live in the city limits, so I can't just fire a shot to scare them off.    I took one of my drum set cymbals out this evening and smashed it a few times, but that is going to get old.   Does anyone have any suggestions.   MM

Re: Buzzards Roosting On My Roof
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 02:04:47 AM »
Do you own a pellet rifle?  Depending on the size of the bird it shouldn't kill them but it would sure give them a belly ache.

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 04:34:01 AM »
Are fireworks still legal there? They work to scare off most critters. I believe vultures are protected birds and shooting them with anything is a big no no. If all else fails, give your local animal control a call .

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 07:44:08 AM »
Sonic cannons are used effectively to deter buzzard roosting on roofs, and trees. Most use decibel or volume controls and cost can range from inexpensive to expensive. Owl decoys are also used in many areas, but what you use or spend will depend on how big a nuisance they have become.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 12:14:06 PM »
+1 on the pellet rifle. Put a scope on it. If somebody would invent and market an air-powered shotgun, maybe in .410 bore, I'd surely buy one.
Come and take it.

zonie

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 10:19:19 PM »
Probably not what you want to do ,  they do have bird wire spikes in rolls you sometimes see on city bldgs and larger fishing boats to keep the seagulls from crapping all over the boat.  My son next door has a great horned owl that pretty much lives on our property a lot o the time he will sit in the trees and snags these eurasian doves  (collared doves)  when he gets hungry , then he craps them out usually on the A/C unit , you see little chunks of bird parts around the property.   I actually don't mind him so much he keeps the mice population down a little.

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 03:34:07 AM »
They are a protected bird. If you decide to shoot them, use the 3 S's. Shoot, shovel and silence!  The fishing boats here do use owl decoys to keep the pelicans off the boats but I'm not sure that will worry vultures. BTW, I hear they are difficult to kill and they will eat their own dead.  :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 04:12:35 AM by Grouchy »

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 07:33:57 AM »
Here's an old farmer's trick to get rid of crows, it might work on buzzards. They would hang a dead crow on the problem tree, crows would vacate the area. Maybe find a buzzard type decoy and hang it in the area. If it works on crows it may work on buzzards.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!