Spike Camp

Another Hero Gone

musicman

• View Profile
Another Hero Gone
« on: January 13, 2021, 12:12:30 AM »
We lost another one of our few remaining World War Two heroes on January 2.   One of my friends, Hugh Edward Hall, age ninety-five.   Mr. Hall served in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific Theater, mostly aboard a tanker ship.    He told me once that he and his fellow sailors never worried about life preservers.   They knew that if they ever got torpedoed, that would be it.   He served offshore of two of the major island battles, but I forget which ones.   After the War, he used his G.I. Bill to go to college.   He earned three degrees eventually, his last one being a PhD. in Physics.   He worked in oil exploration for Texaco for a number of years, and then he taught at The University Of Houston, and then at Sam Houston State in Huntsville, TX.    He was an incredibly interesting man to talk to about just about any subject.   Very mild mannered and unassuming.     By his cowboy hat and worn jeans, you would never think that he was a retired college professor and he wouldn't tell you either.   You would find that out later from someone else.    It was unfortunate that because of The Plague, his funeral was not well attended.   A friend of the family that was once in the United States Army Band honored him and his family with Taps at the graveside.     Yes, I had tears in my eyes; Hearing Taps and burying a Veteran, and a friend, does that to me.     MM

Re: Another Hero Gone
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 12:22:43 AM »
Sorry for your loss. Every day I value these fine gentlemen and ladies contributions to our country. Our younger generations sure could learn a few things from these individuals.
Bill

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 07:19:40 AM »
Sorry for your loss MM!!!
Doug

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 07:20:16 AM »
God speed, Hugh Edward Hall. Fair winds and following seas for your family and friends. GJ

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 07:47:25 AM »
Condolences and RIP.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 12:01:02 PM »
RIP
Wish I could have met him and hear some of those stories.
Come and take it.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 12:07:22 PM »
Sorry to hear about your friend
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 03:27:08 PM »
Sorry For the loss of your friend MM
I know how it is to have A old vet friend. My back yard neighbor is 95 also seen him yesterday. Said his knees where going on him.
He also served on A ship in the Pacific.  There job was to pick up body's.
Mark

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 06:39:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that. My condolences to you, his family and everybody that knew him.
Aussie gun nut.

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 06:41:49 PM »
Losing a great friend is hard to get through and I’m sorry you’ve lost one.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

zonie

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 10:06:58 PM »
That's too bad It's always hard ,   more so currently with all the covid restrictions and not being able to say good by or not attended by many people.