Spike Camp

All around big game bullet for 7mm Mag

Chip

• View Profile
Re: All around big game bullet for 7mm Mag
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 10:22:10 PM »
Well like I said I have used Barnes and they worked just fine. They were coated with what ever the blue stuff on them at the time XLC I think they were called. I used them in 270 and 375. I had a Ruger number one that would put 3 130 gr XLC into .225 group at 100 yards  and killed elk like a lightning strike.  I had another 270 that wouldn't shoot them for love or money.   As far as "loosing half their weight" goes,  I think a modified solid can have too much pennetration and not dump enough energy in the animal where it belongs.  Unless I'm hunting dangerous game I am not likely to try to bust both front shoulders.  I'm not a fan of "raking shots" and while I have to confess to a couple of "Texas heart shots" on deer, I would personally not try it on an elk.   I think the Barnes would be really useful when you are pushing your gun to it's absolute upper limits.  If i were hunting brown bear witha 7 Mag"and I'm not  ;D"  I'd want a Barnes loaded up for the extra weight retention it provides, as well as it's ability to bust both shoulders and keep on cranking.  So maybe I'm a partial Barnes guy after all.  I do enjoy stirring the pot when it comes to what bullets you guys use and why. Thanks for the replies.   

NDTerminator

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 03:00:59 PM »
My do-everything bullet in the 7MM Magnum is the 160 grain Accubond...

Salty

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 09:20:10 PM »
Nosler Partition, Hornady Interbond or Barnes would be three options to consider for high velocity 30 cal and above rifles. I consider the Nosler or Hornady to be the go to bullet except for Moose or Bear - for the thicker game the Barnes is hard to beat. 

stevecrea

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 06:58:09 PM »
I have used 160 grain Nosler Partitions in my 7mm Weatherby with excellent results on elk:  A one-shot kill at 314 yards on a five point bull that I hit in the spine, and a one shot kill at 525 yards on a spike bull that was moving quickly up a snow chute.  Even at 525 yards the Noslers did the job.

wyldgene

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 10:22:50 AM »
...growing up in N. ID, I'll admit to being a "little" biased, I've been using 7mm GrandSlams since I got out of the Marine Corps in '79, so that's what I know, & a couple doz. elk, a number of black bears, & quite a few deer have justified 'em...

...using relatively moderate velocities to compare the GrandSlams in different weights...

MV 145gr.=3100fps/3094fp; 160gr.=2900fps/2987fp; 175gr.=2800fps/3046fp
100yds. 145gr.=2855fps/2851fp; 160gr.=2702fps/2594fp; 175gr.= 2639fps/2705fp
300yds. 145gr.=2407fps/1865fp; 160gr.=2334fps/1935fp; 175gr.= 2334fps/2117fp
500yds. 145gr.=2003fps/1291fp; 160gr.=1996fps/1415fp; 175gr.= 2051fps/1634fp

...sighted in @ 250yds, the drop for a 175gr is a little less than 3" compared to the drop of the 145gr. @ 500yds.

...now, here's the real kicker, in N.ID, you didn't know if you were going to be shooting elk @ 440yds. across a wheatfield, or 15yds. in "black timber", so bullet performance was pretty important, & I highly recommend the GrandSlams, they're an exceptional value in high performance bullets, w/ a long proven track record...

...but realistically, shoot what you & your rifle prefer, shoot lots, base your selection on what you need your bullet to accomplish...

curthopson

• Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 10:27:04 PM »
Nosler 150gr E-tip.  Great BC, 98% weight retention, unbelievable accuracy--end of discussion.  Try them and you will be amazed.  Both of my 7mms like Reloder 22 best.  Good luck.
Life is tough.  It's tougher if you're stupid.

JLMagic

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 01:47:58 AM »
Here is a repeat of a previous post - a true story of my very first deer kill, made with a Nosler 175gr Partition from a 7mm Rem Mag rifle (built by Howa - a Smith & Wesson 1500).  I found this combination quite effective on large Colorado mule deer, killing probably my first 6 or 8 deer with this combo.  Also accurate - 3-shot groups at 100yds that you could cover with a dime (on the best of days, of course).

Enjoy:

********************************************************************************************************************

Speaking of Nosler Partitions, I also have two great experiences that show the effectiveness of these premium bullets.

The first was my very first deer kill, a big-bodied Colorado Mulie.  After a long day trudging through deep snow, and still "buckless", I was headed back to camp and a bunch of does led by one buck ran across the road right in front of my Jeep.  I got out and lamented that I didn't get a shot.  As I headed back to the Jeep, it occurred to me that I should not actually give up, but go after them!  So I figured where they might be headed, up a hillside toward an open area about 250 yds away.  I rested my 7Mag (with a 175gr Nosler Partition loaded over 60 grains of H4831) against a tree, and said, "If you go through there, you're mine."  Sure enough, he went trotting right through the opening, and my 7Mag spoke.  He went belly-up instantly, kicked twice and died.  When I opened him up I saw a rush of blood, and found that the heart had actually been severed.  The aorta shot has since become my favorite! The bullet opened up explosively, with the sharp edges cutting away, and that was the result.

JL

wyldgene

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 01:40:32 PM »
Hi Chip,

I went thru the same process 30yrs. ago when I got out of the Marine Corps, & started reloading. Life was simpler, there weren't near as many chioces in premium bullets, & w/ the boys from Lewiston doing promos all the time, it was only natural for me to choose Speer GrandSlams...

...now out there where thing start getting interesting, say 300yds, a 140-145 gr. bullet has to start @ a significantly higher velocity than a 175gr. A 140 gr. Barnes started @ 3300fps delivers the same energy as a 175gr. GS w/ a MV of 2900, w/ less drop, about a 1/2" less drop w/ a 250yd. zero, @ 500yds the 175gr. retains about 5% more energy w/ 7" more drop...

...now the kicker for me was growing up hunting in North Idaho, you didn't know if you were gonna be shooting 40yds or 400yds, & I trusted the 175gr. bullets to perform over an extremely wide range of conditions, I wasn't near as comfortable w/ the 145gr. bullets to hold together @ short range/ high velocities, especially after having a couple of 150gr. factory loads blow up on deer (same box, & have never had any other problems w/ that brand)...

...just my plug knickle...

james7mmwby

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2009, 02:52:43 PM »
I am an Ontario hunter who lives in moose country that is also full of whitetails. the seasons and separated by three weeks and most of the shooting under 200yds. I have only ever used weatherby factory 154's in my 7mm and have never had a moose or deer not fall to one round when hit in the boiler room. they shoot tight at the range,I can't offer any advice for long shooting bullets but these work very well on both species. The deer if not put down on the spot will move father than moose before dying. They always seem to have a stronger will to live for some reason. Shot placement of course is the key and what YOU shoot best with.

Good hunting!