Spike Camp

Still no power

Re: Still no power
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 01:40:38 PM »
It’s interesting...we kind of watch in wonder with Texas struggling with this weather. Here in Wyoming, I’ve seen -40F for days, but of course...we’re prepared for that kind of weather. There are at least 3 very large oil refineries across the country that have shut down due to cold temperatures, but we continue to produce (still cold...however!).

This isn’t any cut on Texas (I like the state), but they might want to consider a minimum amount of winterization efforts on power plants and refineries just to sustain operations to at least 0F.

I'm in the Dallas area and the issue doesn't have anything to do with snow or ice but rather lack of power generation causing ERCOT to force rolling blackouts to customers, some of which lasted days. The generation gaps are due to several contributing factors but mostly just extreme cold temperatures not experienced 99.99% of the time. We hit -2 F in Dallas on Tuesday morning, which is the 2nd coldest recorded temp tying a record from 1949. Our houses here are not built to the same spec as those in North Dakota for instance, mostly with regard to plumbing and insulation.

47% of ERCOT managed generation is natural gas fueled. The natural gas pipes, well-heads, valves, controls, etc. are not thermal-conditioned like they are up north. As a result, a significant amount of natural gas generation was offline due to frozen equipment.
20% is coal, which dwindles every year due to EPA restrictions, taxes, etc.
20% is wind, which has been growing exponentially over the past couple of decades, mostly because of federal and state government subsidies. Over half of the wind generation was offline due to frozen turbines. That contributed 7k or so MW drop alone. 
11% is Nuclear, and that's huge considering there's only 2 nuclear plants in the state. One of those nuclear sites (South Texas) was offline due to the extreme cold. Honestly, it's extremely rare for these temps to exist on the Texas coast.
The other 2% is solar, hydro, biomass, etc. Solar was affected due to snow-covered panels but not a huge factor.

There was a 15000-30000 MW generation gap starting early Monday morning and lasting into Wednesday morning.

Unfortunately, there's no overnight fix for this. Generation shortfalls have occurred in extreme heat as well several years back. With more and more people moving here, and with nobody building any new generation other than renewables, it's going to take some significant changes to get things on the right track.

Imagine if we took those renewable subsidies and diverted them into upgrades at existing gas generation facilities. We should also build more nuclear power plants, in my opinion.
JW

I like rifles with wood stocks

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 09:41:04 AM »
If the Natural gas powered plants hadn't kicked up their production by 450%,all of Texas would have been blacked out.There would have been a catastrophic collapse of the electric grid.Thank God that didn't happen.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 02:49:58 PM »
ERCOT is a poorly run joke. Greg Abbott (Gov) is totally pissed - there was no excuse for this. ERCOT didn't believe in winterizing power plants because well, that costs money - dumb asses. I'm pissed too; my daughter's house is trashed from busted pipes because of no heat for days. I had no power (so no heat) for 2 1/2 days.
Come and take it.

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2021, 11:29:16 AM »
Water is fixed. It was fixed prior to me getting off work. That shower was nice.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2021, 04:37:54 PM »
Glad to hear it.

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2021, 04:47:14 PM »
I know the feeling too well.  Glad you have water.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2021, 06:43:08 PM »
Thank God the extreme cold conditions are over ✝. Glad you got through it safely.
DosEquisShooter

bluemts

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2021, 09:28:00 PM »
Our church took an offering today to help out Texas. Hope you all get back to "normal" asap.
🙏❤️👍

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2021, 04:58:29 PM »
God Bless your church. It's 76 degrees, sunny and beautiful here today - hard to believe exactly a week ago it was 15 degrees with snow falling. There's an old saying that if you don't like the weather here, just wait a few, it'll change soon enough.
Come and take it.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2021, 05:12:04 PM »
I had to use the A/C in my truck this afternoon.

Remember 10534

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2021, 03:04:07 PM »
I suppose this was a test of ability to survive in a bad situation. We never get to pick the enemies in a shit storm. It sounds like you'll did OK.  :)

zonie

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2021, 09:57:51 AM »
Power companies are in it for one reason,  money.   look at the fires in California they deemed power companies involvement of not  clearing brush and trees from power lines and how many deaths did the fires cause ?   Arizona APS got a rate increase a few years ago and now they want another increase in costs.  Are you frekin kidding !   My AC went out  in July and I'm not even going to replace it, most people up here don't have AC anyway or need it.   I'm about ready to go off grid and say to hell with power companies.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 10:42:51 AM by zonie »

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2021, 11:34:38 AM »
Going off the grid would require a good idea of how much electricity you typically consume and being able to replace it, in my mind.  I did spend a few days in a place with no electric. Everything was run off propane. I'm not sure that would be cheaper,  plus you depend on delivery of the tank or refills.  :)