Spike Camp

V3 auto trickler

V3 auto trickler
« on: February 18, 2021, 03:26:19 PM »
I just purchased the v3 and the fx12i scale. Scale got here and still about 8 weeks out for the v3. I was messing around and checking my old pact against it and was surprised how far off it was. It’s within 1/10 but I was surprised how much that can vary at least with small ball powder. Spendy setup but might shorten load work ups. Hoping I can skip looking for a velocity node and just stay below pressure . We shall see!

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
Re: V3 auto trickler
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 03:48:47 PM »
Some powders "meter" better than others. Hope it works out!  :)

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 04:08:55 PM »
I’ll post my findings. I bought a couple tuner brakes to try out on some target rifles that should arrive at the same time as the v3. Plan is to pick a velocity, dial it in. Ha ha!!

zonie

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 03:58:50 PM »
Other than wanting something is there some reason you choose this type of set-up ? 

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 05:22:03 PM »
Actually yes. I do a lot of load development and hoping this will shorten the time/money spent. I do a lot of long range target shooting ( when I finish this dang house!) and my setups so far have been great but always changing. For example, I switched to 3 different bullets on a 6.5-300 rifle last year for really no good reason other than I had a lot of fun! I’m waiting for the new stuff to arrive and I’m going to switch to the 156 bergers. Going target shooting tomorrow with what’s left of the 140’s and sighting in a new scope on a creedmoor. I might start playing around with the hammer bullets for fun, who knows. I am hoping for better consistency with the small ball powders that I’ve struggled with in the past. There’s some really good potential if I can

zonie

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 07:03:02 PM »
I know what you mean.   I'm not a huge fan of electronix scales or dispensers, not that they're bad I just don't use them very much.   I've used a Rcbs 505 and 304 scales for years and I've got a couple very old scales laying around in a box somewhere.  Depending upon what I'm doing and the powders used I'll either weigh each charge or I'll charge by volume.  Any of the progressive presses I'll mostly charge by volume these presses I will use smaller stick powders down to ball or flake powders because of the way the powder measures throw the charges.  Large stick powders I'll weigh each,  I may weigh and trickle. or use the old thumb and forefinger method.   The problem  powders by lot's are not exactly the same so to get the same results you may need to increase or decrease  charge weights 1/2 a grain or more with bigger calibers or even day to day due to weather/temps.   It's fun to play and see what if any changes are made.   Good luck keep us posted on results.

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 07:46:16 PM »
Will do. I will say, I referenced my old pact  scale against a mechanical scale and it was always spot on. I was surprised how much powder within 1/10 accuracy can vary. I always stopped below and trickled up too. It will be interesting for sure

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 06:12:37 PM »
In case anyone is wondering, the 140 eldm’s will come unraveled out of the 6.5-300 even with mild loads. But they will still cause devastation to a bowling pin at about 550 yards ha ha!!!

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 09:31:08 AM »
In case anyone is wondering, the 140 eldm’s will come unraveled out of the 6.5-300 even with mild loads. But they will still cause devastation to a bowling pin at about 550 yards ha ha!!!

LMAO!!!!!  Now that's funny.

Man that is one fancy set up.  I've been using an RCBS Charge Master Combo, and I like it a lot.  It has reduced my loading time of rifles, by the time I've seated a bullet and placed the loaded cartridge in the box, the next load is ready.  Obviously this depends on how big the powder drop is. :)  This RCBS has proven to be extremely accurate, and it's perfect for what I need.  I double check the powder on a Dillon scale every time, for no reason other than being anal about loading.  LOL!!!!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 11:00:06 AM »
My favorite load for the 224 mag doesn't need a scale or powder measure.Just fill the case full and seat the bullet.This is the most accurate load I've ever used and it's that way for just about every Varmintmaster I've ever reloaded for.Not a barn burner,speed wise,but 3700+ feet per second for a 50 grain pill is not a slouch either.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 01:01:22 PM »
We chrono’d 3 premium 257’s . It was 34 degrees and they still hit right at 3460 with the 110’s as advertised. 6 es. They shoot easy 1/2” out of my bothers rifle. I really just don’t see the point of reloading for this even though we have everything to do it other than availability right now. I have been looking at the hammer bullets with the potential speed increases but .. why

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 03:26:31 PM »
Here’s a pic ( maybe) of what exploding bullets look like at 500 meters. Probably not supposed to be fun but I believe things like this are contributing to the ammunition shortage.

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 03:37:45 PM »
Maybe it's the other way around? The ammo shortage is contributing to loads like this?  :)

zonie

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 04:25:09 PM »
A little clarification please ?  in the picture did those  Hornady 6.5 caliber,  140 grain , ELDM  (match) bullets come apart in the air ?   A lot of debris impacts on the target ? 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 04:32:25 PM by zonie »

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 04:59:00 PM »
Yes. Those were 140 eldm’s with a light load of 8133 at about 3150 fps. It was a low accuracy node and was .5 moa. The first shot at a bowling pin at about 550 yards just blew the crap out of it. Had a couple shots just wiggle it so I set the cardboard out to see what was going on. Then we noticed the cloud donuts and saw the target. So then we shot at the pin some more !!!!! Was just getting them shot so I’d have some brass for the 156 Bergers. I believe the ones that were just about to come apart were the ones that really played heck on the bowling pin lol. Like the perfect timing