Spike Camp

got rid of my last 257 tonight

got rid of my last 257 tonight
« on: February 19, 2021, 09:24:11 PM »
a local kid been hounding me for awhile, about selling him a rifle. Well, I made him a hell of a deal on my Mark V synthetic, with the B&C stock, talley mounts, Leupold 4.5-14x40, dies, ammo, brass, and bullets. I was going to keep one 257 around, but it's been 4 years since this one was fired. Personally, I don't have much use for the caliber, not that is a bad caliber,and every one else around here uses either the 6mm's, 270's, or the 7mm's.  I been thinking for a while now on doing a 6.5 though the custom shop, but will likely wait to see what's new coming out, that Adam was teasing awhile ago.

Rob

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
Re: got rid of my last 257 tonight
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 04:50:15 AM »
Hopefully, it got a good home!  :)

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 06:43:48 AM »
Got a cold, one shot bet with my brother @200 yards. I’m using a heavy barreled creedmoor. He’s using his 257 weatherby. Im honestly not sure who will win. That thing is a lazor.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 06:44:44 AM »
Looks like the cold weather was worse than l thought up there.
It’s having severe dementia like side effects on some folks  :o ::) ;D
Mike

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 07:18:54 AM »
I can understand that. It really depends on what game you go after. Here in Wyoming, the .257 is an awesome antelope and mule deer cartridge.

I’m sure it would do the job on elk, but I prefer a little heavier bullet in a larger caliber for that task.
JK

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 08:02:13 AM »

+1
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 08:03:05 AM »
I here you Cat. Still hard to part with I bet.
I have been selling a couple off and buying what I will use myself. I wanted A .257 just to fit in better on here. But in MI. I have no real use for one. If I had west it's my 7mm or 300
I hope your Happy with the new cal. Comming out. !!!
Mark

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 08:16:06 AM »

hahahahaha  ::) the gf kind of told me the same thing when she found out what I sold it all for  :o  but he is a decent kid, that was only raised by a single mom. He only had about half the money saved up, but he agreed to do some labour work for me in the spring, to pay off the rest.

I wont say the 257 is a bad caliber, just one around here that anybody rarely used. The girls use the 243's and 240's for everything, including their moose and elk. And everyone else, uses the 270's or the 7mm's, and I pretty much use either the 270 Wby or 300 Wby.  I have said many times, the 257 is like the various 338's around here, good calibers, just those in between calibers I don't have a lot of use for.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 11:52:43 AM »
Good on you Rob! Hopefully that young man likes the rifle and enjoys it.
Mike

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 04:35:40 PM »
That is extremely generous of you.  Hopefully, this young man will turn into a Weatherby fan. :)
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 05:15:24 PM »
That is extremely generous of you.  Hopefully, this young man will turn into a Weatherby fan. :)

Sounds like he is a wby fan! ;) lol

That's cool always better to let one go to someone who appreciates it! Well done;

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 08:28:05 PM »
hell yeah, get them started on Weatherby right off the bat. hahaha. I told him, he was lucky, on that was the rifle I didn't have a lot of use for sitting in the safe, and not everyone's, first real big game rifle is a Weatherby Mark V 257  :o

Rob

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 07:06:00 AM »
hell yeah, get them started on Weatherby right off the bat. hahaha. I told him, he was lucky, on that was the rifle I didn't have a lot of use for sitting in the safe, and not everyone's, first real big game rifle is a Weatherby Mark V 257  :o

Rob

To start someone out with a 257 Weatherby is like shooting a 165 inch Whitetail on your very 1st hunt.He'll be ruined for life on any other caliber.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 07:46:21 AM »
lol that's what i was thinking will be hard to top that one! i gave one of my fav accumarks in 257 to my oldest who never understood my passion for that caliber. Having 25-06's 280's etc what do you need one for? Now he carry's it to the stand more often than not!

Nothing hits harder!! ;)

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 02:53:36 PM »
how it all got started was he is friends with my niece, and last summer she was letting him shoot her 240,  ::) of course she tells him, I have a 257 sitting in the back of the safe, not being used, and that started it, he's been hounding me about it since. I made him take his gun course's so I can legally buy and own it here, and made him a good deal. Might as well, start them out with a Weatherby  8)

Rob