Spike Camp

Who All Carries A Pocket Knife ?

3X8

• View Profile
Re: Who All Carries A Pocket Knife ?
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2021, 08:40:19 AM »
I carried a Schrade 3 folder all thru highschool.While others were getting theirs taken away by teachers and the principle.I just kept mine in my pocket and never had any problem.That way I wasn't without it,when at work,before and after school.

Same with me!

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2021, 08:51:37 AM »
I carry a Buck #277-1 folder. JM

zonie

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2021, 09:38:34 AM »
I have a little credit card knife in my wallet,  I use to carry a pocket knife at work for over 30 years I kind of went away from carrying one after I retired and it seems like I always need one and it's not on me at the time.   When I do carry one it's usually a  Lone Wolf Harsey or Victorinox deluxe tinker Swiss army knife with the little pliers.   I did pick up a beautiful Olive wood Muela Toledo folder when vacationing in Toledo Spain famous for their Armor, Swords,  during the Roman days to present. 

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2021, 09:46:14 AM »
I carry a Buck #277-1 folder. JM
That's a big knife, John.   I have one a friend gave to me as payment for some work I did. I have a Victorinox as well, Zonie. It is pretty bulky for EDC . That Harsey is a top notch knife.  If it's D2 steel, there were only 50 made.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 09:50:26 AM by Grouchy »

zonie

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2021, 10:03:29 AM »
Grouchy mine is not the D2 steel it's the  Harsey T1,   CPM-S30V steel.   I honestly didn't know a whole lot about them it looked kind of cool so I bought it.  More of a smaller  pocket size tactical knife  ,  it's OK for skinning deer & elk,   Holds and edge, use it mostly as a utility knife every day carry type. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:21:32 AM by zonie »

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2021, 10:40:12 AM »
If I remember correctly, Harsey evolved into Bench Made. There were never a lot of them made, but the D2 steel one is worth a bunch in a unused state. D2 is a outstanding knife steel and holds a edge long after everything else is dull. It's just shy of chromium to be a true stainless.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2021, 11:49:40 AM »
For anyone who owns a case knife, I found a collectors guide that has info on different types and styles of knifes with stamp patterns and years made. When you open the link, it's open at about the half way mark of the guide, so you'll have to scroll to the top to start at the beginning.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Pa00KCEvIr0C&pg=PA219&dq=case+knife+6247+PEN&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjL6v7Fj_7uAhVKXc0KHeq_DDwQ6AEwAHoECAUQAg
DosEquisShooter

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2021, 12:25:56 PM »
For anyone who owns a case knife, I found a collectors guide that has info on different types and styles of knifes with stamp patterns and years made. When you open the link, it's open at about the half way mark of the guide, so you'll have to scroll to the top to start at the beginning.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Pa00KCEvIr0C&pg=PA219&dq=case+knife+6247+PEN&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjL6v7Fj_7uAhVKXc0KHeq_DDwQ6AEwAHoECAUQAg
[/quote
 Great info!

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2021, 12:39:15 PM »
My FIL has a huge case knife collection.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2021, 06:05:32 PM »
I always have a SOG multi tool, but l don’t really consider that a knife
Mike

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2021, 07:13:52 PM »
I know one thing.The knife in a Leatherman multi tool is one sharp sucker.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2021, 07:22:07 AM »
I know one thing.The knife in a Leatherman multi tool is one sharp sucker.

+1  I've got a Gerber Eddie Bauer edition heavy bodied multi tool with sheath that I got as a gift almost 30 years ago, and a gifted Leatherman I received about 10 years ago, and the knife blades on both are still super sharp.
DosEquisShooter

zonie

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2021, 09:18:02 AM »
None of my  core  hunter friends use big fixed blade knives for skinning or boneing any larger game anymore.  Most of us have went to various sized pocket knifes and a couple of us still have very small Damascus fixed blade's maybe 2" to 2 1/4 " blade length, leather  1/2  sheath that fits in my pocket, short  and sharp little knife's.   I agree most of these better quality Multi tools can get the job done,  I use to get the Gerbers at work and still use them although the SOG is awfully nice.  All of my taxidermy friends locally have went to Victorinox swiss classic curved shaping knife's , little fixed blade 2.4 "  blade curves downwards, they use these for skinning when animals are brought in and more importantly for capeing, they buy them by the gross and toss them after a few sharpening's, they usually give me few.  they are cheap 3 or 4 bucks apiece in bulk.  They are not a pocket knife but  with a little sheath and stuffed in your pocket they might as well be one. 

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2021, 01:15:15 PM »
I still use a fixed blade knife for hunting use. I wouldn't consider it a big knife, just one of my favorite blade steels.  :)

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2021, 01:46:32 PM »
 Grouchy, it's really a belt knife more than a pocket one. I remember at a small "dinner party" taking it out to cut a tough piece of meat (the host didn't see it as he was at another table) the guy sitting across from me remarked that he wouldn't want to piss me off. Dumb me said, "I didn't think it was that "big". JM
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 01:48:16 PM by John McLaughlin »