Spike Camp

Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® Ultra Lightweight - Left Hand

The Ultra Lightweight is just that and so much more, tipping the scales at 5 3/4 pounds (6 3/4 pounds on magnum models). The ideal choice for packing into mountainous terrain or for carrying on an all-day hunt.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 07:44:07 PM by webmaster »

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 11:33:18 PM »
I really would like a side by side comparision with kimber little sky, and remington Alaskan Ti with the Weatherby Ultralite. I think that it blows both away. I bet that it is close on the heels of 3500 Nulas or Rifles Strata.

I think I might go to a 300 Weatherby with Accubrake. I would load up some light ones for shooting so I am ultimately familar with it and then load some heavies for sheep and moose. Sheep don't need heavies but the grizz living in sheep country do.

I looked at one at Sportsman's Warehouse. I know of another in 338-06 at the local gun store that is a steal at $1100 but I hunt sheep in country that might need 500 yard shots where the 300 Roy steps up and the 338-06  becomes guesswork.

Sincerely,

Thomas
Sincerely,

Thomas

George

• View Profile
Re: Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® Ultra Lightweight
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 01:21:42 PM »
280AI ..... 'nuff said! :)
George

Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® Ultra Lightweight
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 04:42:08 PM »
I carried this gun on a nine day Caribou hunt and the weight factor was never a problem.  Can't wait until I go again... ;D

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® Ultra Lightweight - Left Hand
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 07:13:15 AM »
I used my ultralight last year in Idaho on a mule deer hunt. Made a 400 yd. shot on a 4 point , one shot. vary happy with my 300. :) :)
HARPO

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 10:02:04 PM »
I have 5 Ultra Lights from 240 to 300, and I shoot max hot loads. I have added Accubrakes to everything but the 240. Reason, they lose their muzzle flip, and the result is a shot group that touches, without worring about a scar between you eyes. The 240 is in Colorado getting a MB added this week. I have both LW and Accumarks, but I like to hunt hard and the LW rifles works great for long mountain hunts. I carry 6 rounds on the stock, and their still light, and yes I know its hard on your hearing, What??? I hunt in Montana, and if you hunting for wallhangers, long shots are common, our rifle season is after the rutt. I only reason I bring this up, is I have the old stainless ULW, so I have been hunting with them for a while. Without a break on the 7mm and 300 you will get some day get one in the forehead.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 08:20:40 PM »
I just purchased a friends 300 UL, 300 Wby a 1998 model he thought was an accumark....

I found it to string shots vertically, but horizontaly it would be a 3/4" 5 shot group which would be great. I will try some handloaded 180 partitions vs the Wby 150 pt's I got to test before purchase, and hope it settles down.

Very light, handles better than my Mcmillan stocked ADL 7mag I built in 95 from a cheap adl NIB, but needs to group 3 in 1/2" to match it. My son gets the Remington...

Allen

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 08:53:39 AM »
What you have is the Ultralight, rather than the UltraLightWeight.  Yours is basically an Accumark with a 24" barrel and possibly a thinner barrel contour, but I'm not sure on the contour.  Yours looks like an Accumark, in that it has a black reciever and a stainless barrel that is polished and has black flutes, right?  In a grey stock, I suspect.  I looked at a 300Wby a while back just like that, but it was deeply abused (with an allenheaded cap screw for the front action screw where the moron lost it.)  Nice gun, but I didn't buy the abused one, obviously.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 06:49:55 PM »
He, and I stated ultralight, but I see you are saying mine isn't an ultralightweight. It is at the transfer gun store, but I think it is a 26" barrel, with 2+ inches of unfluted barrel, and it according to the Wby guy is a #2 contour, vs #3 on an accumark.

Hopefully it is 26" ??

Allen

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 12:21:05 PM »
Roger that, on the UL v ULW.  I was just making sure folks didn't get confused due to being in the ULW thread.  As I've said, I almost bought a UL in 300 (it had a 24" barrel), but stayed away after looking it over and finding it highly abused.  I did not know they made the UL in a 26" barrel, except when they were counting the Accubrake length.  I learn something new every day!  Thanks for the update, and let us know how it all turns out after the sale is complete.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 12:47:47 PM »
The mark V 240 ultra lightweight has been my gun of choice since 2005.
Being from Alberta Canada i have had the opprtunity to test this gun on most of the big game animals that we have. Flat trajectory is one thing but the hitting power of such a small caliber i never thought to be as it is. Countless one shot kills, 50 inch bull moose at three hundred.Black bear 400 pound plus one shot kill, whitetail, mule deer nothing stands a chance. Take my advice and make the 240 your next caliber choice.

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight - Left Hand
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 06:26:02 PM »
I have the older generation 300 Ultralight described above I bought in 1999 I think. It has a 26" barrel before I added the Accubrake.  I've used the 180 Barnes X bullets and have put 1" groups together with ease at 100 yds.  Its by and large my favorite of my Weatherby guns.  I've knocked down big Canadian whitetails, bear, moose, hogs, and elk with it.

I'm really looking into the new model in 257, although I'm really hoping Weatherby starts making a routine non-custom left handed offering in 378 or 460.

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 03:21:54 AM »
I'm currently saving up for one of these rifles as a deployment gift to myself. I plan to get it in 300 WIN. What would be the pros/cons of adding an Accubrake to the rig?
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 06:41:31 AM »
The singular pro is that it reduces felt recoil.  And brakes do that well.

The cons are noise and muzzle blast.  The former is a big deal at the range and in the field.  The difference is striking.  I'm a little pressure sensitive, and brakes also emit a pulse - well, they really redirect it to the sides and back - and I can feel that pretty strongly when someone at the range has a braked rifle near me.  But that's a personal thing, unless you're also pressure sensitive.  Muzzle blast is something which is not bothersome for me when shooting from a bench or standing.  But if you shoot prone much, you'll come to hate having a brake.  It kicks up a duststorm and covers you, your rifle, optics, and gear with dust, grass, and whatever else is in the area around the muzzle.

If you're okay with the tradeoffs in noise and blast, a brake is a great recoil reducer.  But the 300Win is not a prohibitive recoiler, even in a lightweight rifle.  Figuring an average scope weight of just over a pound, plus another half pound of ammo, sling, and mounts, you'd be looking at an 8lb setup, ready to shoot.  With a 180gr load running about 30-33lbs of recoil, which is right in line with what my Stainless Synthetic 300Wby recoils.  It's certainly enough to get your attention, but it's not prohibitive, and I've fired 20+ shots at the range from my 300 (along with numerous other rifles) several different times without discomfort.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 02:46:58 PM »
I'm currently saving up for one of these rifles as a deployment gift to myself. I plan to get it in 300 WIN. What would be the pros/cons of adding an Accubrake to the rig?

I don't think you will need the Accubrake. As dubyam pointed out the pros and cons of it, I think you will handle the rifle just fine. The 300 win doesn't have much recoil and if you use proper shooting technique you will be just fine.
I am not a fan of brakes, sure you probably need them on the real big kickers but the majority of the "smaller bore magnums" they are not needed.
Aussie gun nut.