Spike Camp

Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® Ultra Lightweight - Left Hand

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® Ultra Lightweight - Left Hand
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 05:48:07 PM »
I may be wrong , but I thought all the ULW Mark V's come with a Accubrake?
Doug

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 11:16:55 PM »
Some do.Some don't.It's not a caliber deal.Just an option Weatherby gives buyers.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 11:16:25 PM »
It appears that the brake is standard on the ULW in 6.5x300 and the 300wby. I have just been through this issue before ordering an ULW. Of course the brake can be fitted on any calibre as an optional extra.

Cheers
Peter
IF YOU CAN"T DAZZLE WITH BRILLIANCE................BAFFLE WITH BULLSHIT!!

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2017, 06:46:47 AM »
Welcome to the Weatherby Nation Krakka! You will also receive a thread protector with your Accubrake. You may or may not have used brakes on other rifles in the past, but JIC, a word of caution. Always use hearing protection on the bench(let the people around you know you are using a brake so they can be ready)  and in the field. In the field, a pair of corded ear plugs hung around your neck and inserted at the time of the shot will protect against hearing loss. Many people don't like to wear them in the field, but if you shoot from a deer house or you happen to shoot into the wind, you will definitely feel the pressure of the blast, and the blast is deafening leaving a ringing in your ears (tinnitus) for days, weeks, and sometimes a lifetime. Like the commercials say,"Protect It or Lose It." Theres a lot of different types of hearing protection available and there are different opinions about all of them,("everyone" tells you which one they like)but use some form of hearing protection, or you'll regret it later on in life, and sometimes immediately. Excuse my spouting off, as you likely are aware of all the pitfalls and advantages of using brakes, just trying to give a little support to enjoying your new rifle. Good Luck, and again, Welcome.      Danno
DosEquisShooter

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® Ultra Lightweight - Left H
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 06:49:21 PM »
It appears that the brake is standard on the ULW in 6.5x300 and the 300wby. I have just been through this issue before ordering an ULW. Of course the brake can be fitted on any calibre as an optional extra.

Cheers
Peter

Welcome to the Nation Peter, and I ended up ordering an ULW 6.5-300 and it did come with an Accubrake. As does the 300 Bee ULW.
Doug

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2017, 08:07:49 PM »
I do not like gun ranges for a few reasons but the main reason is the noise. When I have people with brakes the shot startles me and my shooting suffers.
I am fortunate to have places to practice where I am the only one shooting.
The Weatherby Rifles I shoot the most have the Monte Carlo stock which dissipates the recoil and the pachmayr decelerating recoil pad works great too. Because of this, recoil is not an issue. I don’t like the noise that comes with a brake so I rarely use a muzzle brake when I practice.
When I am in the field hunting I always use the brake. Why? The muzzle brake allows me to see the animal drop or enables me to stay on the target for a follow up shot.
I know this goes against the conventional thinking but it is the system that works for me.
If I have time to put ear plugs in, I do so. If not, I go without.
I know and accept the consequences.
My next Wby I am buying is a .240 ULW that weighs just over 6 lbs. with a Leupold compact lightweight scope a 3-9x33. I have a once in my lifetime sheep hunt scheduled for 2018 and I believe this lightweight package will be perfect.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 08:18:14 PM by Michiganhunter »
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2017, 03:16:56 AM »
Welcome to the Weatherby Nation Krakka! You will also receive a thread protector with your Accubrake. You may or may not have used brakes on other rifles in the past, but JIC, a word of caution. Always use hearing protection on the bench(let the people around you know you are using a brake so they can be ready)  and in the field. In the field, a pair of corded ear plugs hung around your neck and inserted at the time of the shot will protect against hearing loss. Many people don't like to wear them in the field, but if you shoot from a deer house or you happen to shoot into the wind, you will definitely feel the pressure of the blast, and the blast is deafening leaving a ringing in your ears (tinnitus) for days, weeks, and sometimes a lifetime. Like the commercials say,"Protect It or Lose It." Theres a lot of different types of hearing protection available and there are different opinions about all of them,("everyone" tells you which one they like)but use some form of hearing protection, or you'll regret it later on in life, and sometimes immediately. Excuse my spouting off, as you likely are aware of all the pitfalls and advantages of using brakes, just trying to give a little support to enjoying your new rifle. Good Luck, and again, Welcome.      Danno
Hi Danno

Thanks for the advice re the brake, I have an Accumark in 300wby with a brake and unfortunately fired 1 shot with the brake and no hearing protection. I now have permanent hearing damage to my right ear, wow that hurt my ear like you wouldn't beleive.
I am in Australia so I have about a 4 month wait for my ULW to turn up.

Good hunting to you and enjoy.

Cheers
Peter

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® Ultra Lightweight - Left H
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 03:19:09 AM »

Cheers
Peter

Welcome to the Nation Peter, and I ended up ordering an ULW 6.5-300 and it did come with an Accubrake. As does the 300 Bee ULW.

Thanks for the welcome Blackbear3.

Regards
Peter

257WBY

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 10:23:57 AM »
I have one in 257 WBY.  My favorite rifle.

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 04:46:15 PM »
Waiting for my Ultra Lightweight in 240 and looking forward to deer season in November.
Paul
Don't save the best for last, the smile for later or "Thanks" for tomorrow.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2018, 06:35:42 PM »
Waiting for my Ultra Lightweight in 240 and looking forward to deer season in November.

You will love the Ultra Lighweight in .240 WBY. I have one and topped it off with a Swarovski 4-12x42. It is a lovely little rifle and I have used mine down here in Australia for knocking over feral goats and pigs. I used it on a nice little Blackbuck Antelope as well.
I am currently running the 90 grain Swift Scirocco II but have had great success with the 100 grain Nosler Partition. 
Aussie gun nut.