Paige

224KING

• View Profile
Re: Paige
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2021, 06:03:40 PM »
Just precious
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2021, 06:35:12 PM »
Just precious

A couple of you have used that word, and l think it’s the right word for them

Thanks everyone
Mike

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2021, 08:05:56 PM »
Yep beautiful doggies  !    and yes got to get her snake trained.  I don't have a clue what a vet and hospital stay would cost for a dog bitten by a rattle snake.   

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2021, 09:12:12 PM »
Beautiful looking pup Mike. I bet you looking forward to training her?
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2021, 07:37:39 AM »
Great looking dog, Mike. Good luck with her.
Any man who would compromise his freedom in pursuit of safety deserves neither freedom or safety...BF

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2021, 11:08:41 AM »
Yep beautiful doggies  !    and yes got to get her snake trained.  I don't have a clue what a vet and hospital stay would cost for a dog bitten by a rattle snake.

I get the dogs a rattlesnake vaccine, than you can treat them with Benadryl
Beretta had her first shot of two today
Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2021, 11:10:41 AM »
Beautiful looking pup Mike. I bet you looking forward to training her?

Yes l really enjoy the pups
Mike

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2021, 03:04:38 PM »
Adapting to the new surroundings?  :)

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2021, 04:25:56 PM »
Great looking dogs. :D
Come and take it.

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2021, 06:28:35 PM »
I wonder if a rattle snake vaccine  could work on humans ?   I've had several friends including one bitten by a Mojave Green and he stayed in the hospital 2 weeks and was young and healthy at the time.  Basically the Mojave's are the worst rattle snake bite possible, very toxic.  Use to be called a class 4 bite I don't know what they call them any more according to an old boss who use to breed and raise reptiles  An old rancher type lady friend got bit by a little prairie rattler and she got real sick.   Another friends dog was bitten and survived and this guy is heavily into bird dogs. I didn't ask what type rattle snake bit the dog.   Mojave Greens are aggressive and have bad attitudes ,  I don't think any of them have great attitudes.   I always look for the wider white bands on Mojaves  tails vs narrower black bands.  In any case I need to buy a new set of snake gaters if we go deer hunting mid state this year. 

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2021, 07:25:23 PM »
I wonder if a rattle snake vaccine  could work on humans ?   I've had several friends including one bitten by a Mojave Green and he stayed in the hospital 2 weeks and was young and healthy at the time.  Basically the Mojave's are the worst rattle snake bite possible, very toxic.  Use to be called a class 4 bite I don't know what they call them any more according to an old boss who use to breed and raise reptiles  An old rancher type lady friend got bit by a little prairie rattler and she got real sick.   Another friends dog was bitten and survived and this guy is heavily into bird dogs. I didn't ask what type rattle snake bit the dog.   Mojave Greens are aggressive and have bad attitudes ,  I don't think any of them have great attitudes.   I always look for the wider white bands on Mojaves  tails vs narrower black bands.  In any case I need to buy a new set of snake gaters if we go deer hunting mid state this year.

Have heard about the Mojave Greens, everything l heard was most dogs if they make it will have side effects
With the prairie rattle it seems to greatly depend where the dog gets bit. Major artery most don’t make it. Muscle with the vaccine most make it without side effects
Mike

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2021, 11:14:24 AM »
She is adorable, congrats Mike!  How do you train them for Rattle Snakes?  I have a friend who trains pointers, and he trains them to freeze and not move.  They are not pointing, they are just not moving, and this makes the owner aware that something is not right. 
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2021, 08:10:16 PM »
She is adorable, congrats Mike!  How do you train them for Rattle Snakes?  I have a friend who trains pointers, and he trains them to freeze and not move.  They are not pointing, they are just not moving, and this makes the owner aware that something is not right.

Well l really don’t train for rattle snakes, it’s for any snake. I like Bull snakes because it doesn’t take much to get them aggressive. Than l get the dog on a leash about 3’ from the snake. If the dog is interested in the snake , l will hold the dog back and tease the snake into striking. All the time keeping the dog out of reach. Couple times of this and every dog l have done this with , wanted no part of any snake they come across
The true snake training classes will have a rattlesnake, with its mouth taped shut or in a small cage, something that it can’t strike the dog. They bring the dog up and get the snake too rattle. If the dog makes eye contact or shows interest in the snake, using the e-collar, you shock the dog. Now all l’ll say is it’s not a tickle! Most dogs will get it the second time it is brought up to the snake. Your dog has to be 1 year of age and accustom to the e-collar for this type of training.
Mike

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2021, 06:59:18 AM »

Well l really don’t train for rattle snakes, it’s for any snake. I like Bull snakes because it doesn’t take much to get them aggressive. Than l get the dog on a leash about 3’ from the snake. If the dog is interested in the snake , l will hold the dog back and tease the snake into striking. All the time keeping the dog out of reach. Couple times of this and every dog l have done this with , wanted no part of any snake they come across
The true snake training classes will have a rattlesnake, with its mouth taped shut or in a small cage, something that it can’t strike the dog. They bring the dog up and get the snake too rattle. If the dog makes eye contact or shows interest in the snake, using the e-collar, you shock the dog. Now all l’ll say is it’s not a tickle! Most dogs will get it the second time it is brought up to the snake. Your dog has to be 1 year of age and accustom to the e-collar for this type of training.

Thanks for the detail explanation Mike.  I'm sure he used similar technique which he never showed us, but sounds about right.  While we were at his farm, I brought my Lab Savannah with me, to do some training and we also hunted doves a couple of times.  My Lab was doing great retrieving the few doves I had shot, until she refused to retrieve one.  She would look at me and look in the bush, and look at me and wouldn't go in.  She had this confused look on her face.  I would tell her to pick it up, and she would refuse.  Finally I got up and went to investigate, and the bird had landed right next to a coiled rattle snake that was wide awake and upset.  I learned a valuable lesson that day.  From that day on, I always watched at how she behaved.  Thank God we never had another encounter like that.   
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2021, 08:24:53 PM »
The rattle snake vaccine does work.the dog probably still should be examined and treated. But it does greatly reduce the reaction to a snake bite. Highly recommend if in rattle snake country.
Max