Spike Camp

Lucky I'm a patient man...

BB340

• View Profile
Lucky I'm a patient man...
« on: May 31, 2021, 05:27:56 PM »
So I thought I'd let you all know what has been happening with me and Weatherby over the last several months.. For those of you that remember, I bought one of the limited edition "Down Under" Mark V's that were made for Australia. Well when I went to use it I soon found out that it would not chamber a round. Ok, no big deal so I took it back. The gun shop then has to send it to Weatherby Australia to be looked at. Turns out it was a bent extractor... apparently... Rifle comes back to the shop so I have a mate that was there pick it up for me.(The gun shop is a 100km drive from my house) I gets the rifle home, try to chamber a round and nope still jamming. I give it a bit extra force and it does go. But no way is it a smooth action. Now I am not happy. After having to travel some 400kms myself so far and another 100kms by my mate I still had a faulty firearm. So back to the shop I go. I take ammo and show my mate at the shop what it's doing and he agrees it should not be that hard to chamber a round. It just so happens the Australian Weatherby rep was in the shop right then so he tries the rifle and forces the shell in and says there is nothing wrong with it. By now I am fed up with this rifle and it has left a sour taste in my mouth and I don't want the rifle back. After the rep and gun shop owner talk the rep reluctantly agrees to take the rifle back.
Now I wasn't after a refund of the $5333 I paid for this rifle, I straight away said keep the money and lets order a New Mark V Deluxe in .416 Weatherby magnum. Of course I wanted this rifle done with a lot of extras from the custom shop.
So when I get home I jump onto the Weatherby website, design my new rifle and email my mate what to get a quote for. Then the days turn to weeks and yet still no quote. Then a month and a half later I finally get a quote of $6815 and a build time of 9 months. So I say yep order it!
So long story short in 9 months (hopefully) I will put up a new post showing off my new matt, yes matt and not gloss, engraved Mark V with all the bells and whistles Weatherby has to offer.   ;D     
Aussie gun nut.

Re: Lucky I'm a patient man...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 05:50:34 PM »
Brett, I can only say that I hope it comes in perfect and beautiful and exactly as you hope. Tough story but could have a great ending!! Can't wait to see the pictures!!
Jerry

wby4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 07:38:57 PM »
I hope this one is perfect for you!

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 08:09:15 PM »
I'm glad you're a patient man, but patience does have its limits.  You would think that quality control would be a little more stringent on a product being ordered from half way around the world.  hopefully the third time is the charm.

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 09:39:30 PM »
Thatís pretty unfortunate. I would be quite upset as well. Occasionally, a bad product comes off the line...it happens. The best thing to do is make it right; especially a devoted customer like yourself!!!

We tend to be the dream firearm customers...most of us buy several firearms. I hope your 416 Weatherby comes in and is everything you hoped for!
JK

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 03:08:07 AM »
When I spend that kind of money, I have no patience with it being defective. Good luck on the new rifle!   :)

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 06:58:02 AM »
BB, did you reach out to Weatherby and explain to them your frustration with the rifle you got?  Maybe they put you on top of the list or something.  I'd be upset, specially since you have to wait so long.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 09:31:57 AM »
Adam needs to step up and make this right.  >:(
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 12:46:28 PM »
+1 on contacting Weatherby directly. I don't think they would find this acceptable and would likely step up and do more than is currently being done. Best of luck; sorry for what you have put up with. When you drop that kind of cash, it should be perfect in all respects.
Come and take it.

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 02:05:13 PM »
This wouldn't matter if it's  $500 dollar gun or a $5000 dollar gun I don't see something like this being damaged in shipping and I hate assuming so it can't be ruled out.  I haven't bought a new Weatherby for a few years so I'll let others chime in.   QC/QA  Whatever you want to call it Quality Control  or Quality Assurance,  their needs to be a line of custody and signed TESTED / INSPECTED BY a persons number !  As we all know this traces back to  zero in on who dropped the ball.  Then you take appropriate actions.   We all use to get a tested/inspected  by number on most things we bought , now days with mass produced things some companies  just assume the item is good and ship it as is with the notion well if we get back 1 out of a thousand items sent back we are still ahead of the curve (bean counters).   Weatherby is not going to so that it's not their kind of company,   BUT other companies I don't know.   I just don't see that being a smart idea with any weapons or for that matter things that people can get hurt on. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 02:09:25 PM by zoniezonie »

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 03:23:59 PM »
The question is how many of these "down under" rifles did they sell and the quality control on this "limited" edition were FUBAR? The rep saying it was OK is more telling about it than anything.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 04:37:25 PM »
No I didn't reach out to Weatherby direct. But my mate that works at the gun shop definitely knew that I was getting rather frustrated.
One reason they gave and I forgot to put in my opening post was that the person in charge of getting these quotes was away... Only one person in the Weatherby establishment does the quotes??
I am not bashing Weatherby's quality control as it was just a one of I believe. I haven't heard of any other of these rifles being affected. I got a little peeved as this was my 2nd NEW rifle that was faulty. But lets not go there and start what happened in that post again.
I am not wanting to be pushed up the order line, there are plenty of other guys out there that have orders before me and they don't deserve to be held up. It is well known that any new Weatherby order for down here takes 6 months and my order is a bit extra because of the engravings on the action, barrel and magazine.
To be honest I believe most of the hold up may well be from the Weatherby importer down here. Ever since they took over the Weatherby name it has been much harder and longer waiting times to get things. They never bring in any rifles in Weatherby calibers. You have to order them and then they will import what you want. Also I could see in the reps face at the gun shop he was not happy taking the rifle back. Well that was the impression I got as he didn't mutter a word to me even though I was sitting right in front of him...

Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2021, 05:54:59 PM »
The folks  down under representing Weatherby or representatives that sell Weatherby's in other countries including the USA that are representing Weatherby's good name are to be held accountable for Weatherby's good name.   In other words fix the problem not the blame.   They should be smiling at you for spending your hard earned money not feeling like it was some sort of chore on their part to get your problem corrected.   Customer Service is 100 percent at the top of any good companies success in life just look at Vortex as an example.   Not speaking of Weatherby in all respects Weatherby does have some lesser expensive Vanguards etc,  and any of these  companies may not have all top tier products per say but their guarantee and customer service is beyond reproach, and that says it all.  Excellent products and better Customer Service.  There are always 2 sides to a story so I'm not taking sides I have no doubt the good people @ Weatherby will sort this out.   
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 06:02:54 PM by zoniezonie »

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 06:05:48 PM »
The folks  down under representing Weatherby or representatives that sell Weatherby's in other countries including the USA that are representing Weatherby's good name are to be held accountable for Weatherby's good name.   In other words fix the problem not the blame.   They should be smiling at you for spending your hard earned money not feeling like it was some sort of chore on their part to get your problem corrected.   Customer Service is 100 percent at the top of any good companies success in life just look at Vortex as an example.   Not speaking of Weatherby in all respects Weatherby does have some lesser expensive Vanguards etc,  and any of these  companies may not have all top tier products per say but their guarantee and customer service is beyond reproach, and that says it all.  Excellent products and better Customer Service.  There are always 2 sides to a story so I'm not taking sides I have no doubt the good people @ Weatherby will sort this out.   

Yep totally agree with all you said mate.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2021, 07:24:59 PM »
While on the phone today ordering 5 boxes of 240 Wby 80 gr TTSX ammo I mentioned to a Weatherby customer service rep named Teresa about your problems and she promised me that she would pass along the info.  Hopefully you will hear from them shortly.