Spike Camp

Who Makes A Good Machete ?

Who Makes A Good Machete ?
« on: June 03, 2021, 02:21:01 PM »
I am looking for A good Machete.
I have bought A couple cheap ones then bought the Gerber and really liked it. But just cutting pine limbs the blade gets all bent up. And I have had to use a 4 lb sledge hammer on A anvil to get it back in some kind of shape. There has to be something tough enough to wack thru A small pine limb and be able to hold it's shape.
Any Recommendations?
Thank You
Mark

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
Re: Who Makes A Good Machete ?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 03:18:23 PM »
I have a Cold Steele version that is perfect for my use. SMKW has a few dozen options.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 04:27:39 PM »
The one Jason Voorhees from Friday The 13th fame uses seems to be a good one.  ;)
JK

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 04:58:45 PM »
SOG knifes makes some reasonably priced machetes and they're a solid company. They're knifes are good quality, but I've never bought any of the machetes. (?)
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 09:45:13 AM »
Griz is there some reason a machete would be easier to use  than a good  folding limbing  saw or good pair of pruning shears ?  I suppose if it were jungle type vegetation a machete might be the way to go,  but I've never seen anyone using a machete where I live it's saws and shears and if it's anything bigger than can be handled by either of these it's a small chain saw.  Maybe a small to medium  hatchet would work ?  I've got an old Western Boulder fixed skinning knife / hatchet combo the old stacked aluminum handle types.   
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 09:55:17 AM by zoniezonie »

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 10:13:45 AM »
Yes Ron
Most of the limbs I'm cutting are 1/2 " to @ inch thick.  There pine bows and lots of them. Normally when I'm hanging tree stands. I hate all the sap. But I often don't have much choice.
A machete makes the quickest work of it and the reach is better. I have cordless chain saw from ego and fiskers telescoping saw with snips.
But for me A good Machete is the go to tool at first. And the Gerber works great. But hit a knot and you just dented it. I guess there made soft on purpose because it's easier to straighten then fix A chipped blade.
Mark

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 11:23:02 AM »
I know they're a bit bigger to carry, but a lopper will cut branches up to an inch thick like butter and very quietly.
Come and take it.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 12:47:28 PM »
I know they're a bit bigger to carry, but a lopper will cut branches up to an inch thick like butter and very quietly.

And have a pretty good reach too
Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 01:36:56 PM »
I use a machete to trim the scrub palm trees to open a lane to the feeders for hog hunting. The palms grow back at a very fast rate. The cold steel one I use has stood the test of time and abuse. I do have a leather wrist lanyard on it.  Smokey Mountain Knife Works (SMKW) has a large assortment of machetes from  cheap to expensive.  :)

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 12:46:34 PM »
Being a timber Surveyor we clear a ton of brush and limbs. My advice would be to buy a cruising axe. They are pretty light and will hold up for the bigger limbs. When we are too far in to pack a chainsaw thats what I use.
a 1/2" group is good enough for the girls I go with!

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 02:49:39 PM »
I just recently got a DeWalt 20volt pole saw and that thing is slick as snot for trimming unwanted limbs and it has an extension section that gives you and extra 4 feet if you need it and you can get it in a kit form with a hedge trimmer head that will take up to an inch. the dang thing is fairly light and carries easy. A 5 AH battery will last a long time and you can get bigger batteries if you feel you need it.
The combo kit list for around $325 and the saw alone around $149 but that doesn't include the battery and charger for that price $149 is the bare tool.
TD

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 03:57:45 PM »
Bought one of these about 10 years ago.  Still works great.

https://www.harborfreight.com/95-in-7-amp-corded-electric-pole-saw-56808.html

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 04:01:28 PM »
LOL!~ Guess I was one of the very few that responded to the original post without suggesting he really needed something else!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 04:09:30 PM by Grouchy »

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 05:01:45 PM »
Lol Kevin
Yes I do have A Estwing campers axe. And I do use it.
Tho electric pole saw is A great idea. And I have several dewalt 20 lithium batteries for other tools so that I  will be looking at that. I have wanted one of those but didn't know dewalt made one.
Kevin I did look on SMKW and found they have A Fiskers 24 " Machete and that's A name I trust. I will be buying that for sure.
Thank you !
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 05:03:34 PM by grizzly340 »
Mark

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 07:32:44 PM »
$31.99 sounds pretty good to me
Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.