Spike Camp

Drought

224KING

• View Profile
Drought
« on: June 08, 2021, 07:59:21 PM »
Over half of the US is abnormally dry and a 1/4 of the US is in D4 drought which is Exceptional drought.It is not a guess,but a fact that there will be produce shortages not seen since the great depression and not a word is being said about anywhere.
Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

224KING

• View Profile
Re: Drought
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 08:03:56 PM »
Cali and Nevada are not low on water they are out of water now and Summer is just getting started.
Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 08:24:39 PM »
Check out the boat launch ramps on Lake Mead and Lake Powell there's only a few open currently and the park service is trying to install temporary matting to reach the lower water line in the lakes.  It's absolutely not good and then we have fires burning in Arizona again.  One of the biggest problems is other than we are in a drought but also population explosions in the southwest along with not good enough water conservation measures to restrict / reduce water consumption.   Thankfully I'm on a well.

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 02:17:13 AM »
We've got some rain, still below normal. There is algae in the drinking water just a bit south of me so there is a "boil water" order there. My city water comes from wells, no problems. Yes, the dog has me up at 0330.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 03:33:10 AM by Grouchy »

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 07:12:23 AM »
I am fortunate where I am (East Texas) but much of the west sure is in trouble. Here's a drought map as of June 1.
Come and take it.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 08:09:25 AM »
You think Californians are leaving there now in mass droves,just wait until the water runs out to the big cities.The starlets won't go to NYC because of all the crime and taxes there.
Remember 10534

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 08:57:57 AM »
We have been very dry but got a rain 10 days ago that helped then the heat came and dried us out but got an inch and 3 tenths last night to top it up. Sure helps but the hay crop will be short.
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 09:03:09 AM »
What will you do BMR,buy some to supplement what you raised for what you'll need for Winter?
Remember 10534

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 01:33:19 PM »
What will you do BMR,buy some to supplement what you raised for what you'll need for Winter?

Probably have to buy some. We have some annuals planted for feed so hoping they really produce.

McKenzie North Dakota got 10 inches last night, a couple years ago a storm rolled through here and down that way.
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 07:42:26 PM »
it was quite dry here earlier, but the rain starting coming back couple weeks ago. The few haylands that is left around here look tough, but the crops look ok now. Already presold all our oats for green feed, and presold all the barley for feed, @$6/bushel in the field, no use trying to grow it for malt.  But at those prices, steaks and burger in the store is going to be expensive in the future.

Rob

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 08:43:53 PM »

Probably have to buy some. We have some annuals planted for feed so hoping they really produce.

McKenzie North Dakota got 10 inches last night, a couple years ago a storm rolled through here and down that way.

I just secured 100 bales of wheat hay yesterday for $10,000.00 delivered.Expensive,but I think hay will be short here even with the recent rains.Wheat hay when cut down at the right time has some really high protein values.A pretty good bit of wheat around was disastered by crop insurance adjusters.
Remember 10534

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 08:47:23 PM »
Here in MI. Great lakes levels are 1" lower than a year ago. But still above there avearage.  And are forecasted to remain that way for now.
And the grass is green but we could still use some rain.
Mark