Spike Camp

Best $58 bucks I've spent in a long time

Re: Best $58 bucks I've spent in a long time
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2021, 07:16:14 PM »
Can't wait to see the picture of the cleaned bore.   I still can't sent pictures to Weatherby nation.  I can send them everyplace else, got to be something in my computer blocking it from sending.

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2021, 07:46:43 PM »
Patch 1 has went down the barrel. Hope to run 2 more before bed.
It's hit and miss for me on posting pics. I try and use screen shots and crop them. But good lighting seems to help also.
I think my camera is on A high setting. Might need to tone it down some.
Mark

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2021, 10:50:10 PM »
Pretty cool picture of the inside of your barrel. A fresh eyeball for cleaning. :)
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2021, 07:26:44 PM »
Here's what she looks like clean.
Mark

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2021, 08:14:45 AM »
Stark difference in the two pictures. (no more blue streaks or spots)
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2021, 12:56:35 AM »
Griz that does look very good,   I got some more KG 12 in along with KG 1 carbon remover been playing with both KG's  in one rifle and it does a good job.  I'm starting to like  Patch out the more I use it,  along with their Accelerator and Tactical Advantage bore cleaner by leaving them in  for a few hours,  or leaving the Patch Out only over night.   Where I've ran into the biggest problem is not the Copper removal but rather getting the blackened bore back to it's normal color ( it looks clean with no carbon deposits that I can tell just dark in color).  I cleaned my son's old Rem 721 and it's a 70 year old rifle the bore didn't actually look that bad it was my mom's old rifle I gave to my son, anyway in the grooves it was a brilliant copper color and the lands were jet black about halfway down the barrel it actually looked kind of cool, the leade has some heat checks but minor, so I surmise the rifle hasn't been shot all that much.   It took me 2 days to get it clean and leaving it sit over night, but still has some darkening in the bore I don't think it's going to come out, and I don't think it's going to make a difference anyway just looking at the overall condition of the bore.  I'm impressed.   One thing I did notice very quickly the Patch out products are a little strong on the skin I had some cuts on my hand and didn't use protective gloves and I felt it very quickly ,  kind of polished my finger prints.   Not Ammonia based,  I'm not sure what chemicals are in it.    In one rifle I was having a harder time with one small spot of copper that was not coming out using Patch out  so I degreased the bore and let it dry and ran a tight bronze brush and did the old dry brush method and it took the small copper.   I've done this dry  bronze  brush in the past and knocked out some of the dried carbon/powder deposits before I ran carbon cleaner or bore cleaner  seems to work,  I won't use any stainless brushes in the bore I leave those for cylinder brushes for revolvers. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 01:16:58 AM by zoniezonie »

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2021, 08:07:21 AM »
Zonie I have noticed the black patch even when the blue is totaly gone. I was thinking it's because I'm not cleaning the  barrel first. I always use to start with solvent on A brush get that clean. Then a couple times a year after cleaning I would attack the copper.
Lately I have just been using the patch out.  But I have found I normally need to hit it with the brush at some point. 
So the next rifle I clean I will go back to the brush first method.  And see if that dosent eliminate the carbon first. If not it must just be A layer thing. Take one off then it exposes the other.  And we may find there is A couple layers of each before we get them completely clean.
Mark