Spike Camp

Top 5 most overrated hunting cartridges (No Weatherby Cartridges)

Before I go and offend some people I want to make it clear that I don't actually dislike any of these cartridges(with exception to #1) I will be picking popular cartridges that I don't believe live up to the hype they get. Now that doesn't mean I think they are a bad cartridge, just that they are so beloved that you hear outlandish stories about these cartridges. So here goes....

5. 7mm Remington Magnum: This cartridge is here because I think it's not a very efficient cartridge. You burn a lot of powder for a little bit better performance than a 30-06. The biggest bullet you usually can shoot(175) tops out at 2900 FPS.

4. 270 Winchester: A lot of people love using this cartridge as an elk cartridge. I think it's a little slow and too small for Elk. It also isn't as efficient as it's parent case the 30-06. It's about 100 FPS slower using the same weighted bullet. With that being said my next rifle is going to be a 270 Win.

3. 280 AI: This one gets a lot of hype with how much better it is over the 280 Remington. Now this cartridge really isn't that popular but I put it on here because there is a small following that swears by the improved performance...... which is very marginal. It gives about 50 FPS improvement over the 280 Remington.

Now I'm going to talk about cartridges that have the most hype and claimed unbelievable performance to them.

2. 308 Winchester: This cartridge is a good one, but with all the stories you hear you might mistake it for a 50 BMG. I have heard countless stories of how amazing this cartridge was. Now I grew not being blessed to ever see or shoot the 308 Winchester. I remember seeing the case for a 308 Win for the first time and saying "Wait... that's it?" No doubt it's a great little efficient cartridge, but it can only do so much.

1. 6.5 Creedmoor: This is the only cartridge on my list that I don't like. Not because I don't think it's a good cartridge... but because of all the hype I've heard. I've shot a really nice 6.5 Creedmoor. It was fun, had hardly any recoil and shot amazing. But I've heard so many stories about how the 6.5 Creedmoor is the best cartridge on the planet. That it will outshoot a 300 Win Mag and I even heard one story of how a hunter dropped an elk from 1 mile with one shot from his 6.5 Creedmoor.

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 most overrated hunting cartridges (No Weatherby Cartridges)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 05:41:21 PM »
So, I should sell off my rifles in these calibers? LOL!~

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 05:59:17 PM »
I have used or use all these except the 280AI. No matter what one I’m using, it is getting the attention in terms of shooting mechanics to make it the most accurate I can. At times that means waiting for a barrel to cool. It could be careful consideration of the best rifle for the job or testing to further refine the best handloads possible.
Hype over a cartridge grinds the gears of those who oppose it taking over a vaunted position and competing in some way with their “favorite.” Hype also intensifies readers, which sometimes means subscriptions.
Go into northern Idaho and complain about the 270 Winchester. You won’t get far. I had a 270 Win and traded it for money to build a 280 Rem.

NOTE: I understand these list are an opinion. It’s nothing against those who use, recommend, and generally enjoy the benefits of their rifle in that certain chambering.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 06:53:07 PM by eford »
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 06:48:23 PM »
I here you Huckleberry.  And I bought the 7mm Rem Mag as my do everything rifle in my early 20's . And the low down on it says it deserves to be on the list. But it has done everything I have asked it to do. Including black bear and Caribou.
But if I had it to do over. I would choose the 300 Mag.
Mark

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 06:56:34 PM »
I own all of them except your #1. I’ve gotten away from considering “best” cartridges. The fact is...they’ll all do what they’re designed to do...even the 6.5 Creedmoor.

It just depends what you’re chasing and where. I feel confident in what I’m doing with any of them listed...even elk.

I’ve seen too many critters dropped by them to call them overrated. Maybe the 6.5 Creedmoor is overhyped for some uses, but I think fundamentally it is a good cartridge for it’s purpose.

Which cartridges are your favorite and why?
JK

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 07:11:30 PM »
Not all cartridges do all things.  where we live,  where we hunt,  and, tradition is going to dictate what calibers we use, and that's not including who we are, big burly men, wifes, children even grandpa's like my self will use cartridges suitable for each of us.   I've killed far more elk with a 270 win than all my other cartridges combined, my wife shoots a 270 win for elk, my son shoots a 270 win for elk, my daughter shoots a 30-06 for elk, but to be sure all in my family have killed elk with many different calibers  that we own, including a 6.5 Creedmoor and even the 6.5x55 Swede that's basically a much older by a hundred years ballistic twin the Europeans have been killing Moose with since the late 1800's.  In fact I going to re-barrel my old 1905,   6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser back to a 6.5x55 Swede.     The main thing with any caliber / bullet combo is knowing it's limitations including the shooters limitations and how the gun is set-up.   My cousin for years used a 280 Remington on elk great cartridge before he passed away.  You want to shoot long range on elk as an example and we do, and we use  bigger cartridges with a bullet that carries well at distance and have extra eyes out there to help you out.  Want to hunt elk in dark timber close range I can tell you a 30-30 or 300 savage will get the job done and in some ways better than over powered over scoped magnums.  I don't put a lot of stock in pure numbers like foot pounds of energy that only gives part of the story and maybe a base line if some one were interested in these types of things.  45-70 at close range will knock the dog snot out of any elk at closer ranges.  Interesting sometimes to talk about, and always good to get different opinions. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 07:18:00 PM by zoniezonie »

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 07:29:20 PM »
well , hell, I guess I have to sell my old tikka's in 7mm rem and 270 now, I guess those elk and moose that they have died over the years from them, didn't get the memo that the 7mm rem and 270  wasn't good enough  :o ::) ::)

Rob

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 08:18:34 PM »
I did want to mention something. Shooting heavy for caliber bullets is a fairly new thing...frankly not warranted in most cases.

The 7mm Remington Magnum wasn’t really geared towards shooting 175 grain bullets and until recently, almost no one shot 175 grain bullets from 7mm rifles. That said, it shoots 140-160 grain bullets REALLY well.

I’ve leveled plenty of bull elk with 7mm, 160 grain bullets to know how effective that combination is.

The 7mm Rem Mag, .270 Win, .308, and 280 (and the Ackley version) have been around for a reason...
JK

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 11:30:34 PM »
I'm a believer that if a man had a 270 (pick your version) and 300 (pick your version) would have it just about covered. But who wants to own two calibers/rifles?  8)

I'm sure the ones you mention need no defense, simply look at the sales data probably with exception of the 280ai. 280ai hasn't really caught the fan fire kinda like it's little brother the 280, but loyal fans will keep it around for a while too. I have a couple and no complaints from me - they do very well when called upon. The creedmoor is one in my opinion that doesn't do anything great, just does everything right. I call it the modern day 270 when it comes to popularity. A well placed 6.5 round will do the job on allot of stuff, but that can be said for 270, 7mm and 308.

As far as hype, bragging or whatever one wishes to label it. Half our discussions are just that, if someone makes a once in a lifetime shot (if it really happened) high fives, awesome live it up I say! Life's short if that lifted them for the moment and they are the greatest happy for them! I drank the creedmoor koolaid still a member on that forum love the old timers, it's kinda gone away from hunting and more shooting. While I love to shoot, my main focus is sharing hunting stories, experiences and i have a weatherby issue so this is a great fit for me. I said all of that to say most often when someone makes statements that are driven to start an argument about best of the best, best of all time or mines better than yours, well probably a bunch of keyboard cowboys looking for a debate/fight. I usually read the comments for humor and keep scrolling.

I don't disagree with any opinions made, but i've found that i like all your top 5 for various reasons. I ordered by wife a camilla in 280ai with a brake, could she shoot and kill an elk or some plains game with the creedmoor she shoots very well? Most likely yes, but would this be a better option for her? In my mind yes, plus i just wanted to have one of those here at the house! Hey honey look what I got you for your birthday!!! lol

I over simplify things though - just my 2cents;

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 09:34:58 AM »
I own all of them except your #1. I’ve gotten away from considering “best” cartridges. The fact is...they’ll all do what they’re designed to do...even the 6.5 Creedmoor.

It just depends what you’re chasing and where. I feel confident in what I’m doing with any of them listed...even elk.

I’ve seen too many critters dropped by them to call them overrated. Maybe the 6.5 Creedmoor is overhyped for some uses, but I think fundamentally it is a good cartridge for it’s purpose.

Which cartridges are your favorite and why?

I'm also curious to see what his favorite cartridges are and why?

Rob

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 10:05:26 AM »
Can't wait to hear either
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 11:32:36 AM »
You know what they say about opinions.

Buckleman

• B-MAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 11:41:16 AM »
Have you ever shot any animals? With what?

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 12:07:54 PM »
You know what they say about opinions.

+1

Buckleman

• B-MAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2021, 06:58:02 PM »
Hey Huck. No reply. What do you use and hunt for?