Spike Camp

Top 5 most overrated hunting cartridges (No Weatherby Cartridges)

kmoore

• View Profile
Re: Top 5 most overrated hunting cartridges (No Weatherby Cartridges)
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2021, 07:35:33 PM »
There is is to much different uses of "hunting" to label good and bad cartridges. Narrow it down to what animal and ranges you expect good kills. Than go even better and talk about bullets. Than even better talk about handloading those cartridges. In the end its all about your own opinion and has it worked for your needs.
My most overrated hunting cartridge is the .22 Eargesplitten loudenboomer, its in the PO Ackley book vol 2 page 141
My oops, it is based on .378 Weatherby. Sorry.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 07:38:25 PM by kmoore »
kmoore

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2021, 07:48:18 PM »
In reference to the original post, I don’t have an issue with throwing out your opinion on the subject and like others have said...everybody has an opinion.

Since I own and have shot a lot of rifles, I have come to conclude that caliber choice isn’t overly important within reasonable bounds. I probably have 25 rifles capable of taking a bull elk and the differences are like splitting hairs. I have my favorites, but I certainly recognize there is a large number of capable rifles and cartridges. The person pulling the trigger has a FAR greater impact on the results.

Where/what I hunt...if I could only own one big game rifle...it would be chambered in a 300 Winchester Magnum. That said...I like several others...including several Weatherby rifles/cartridges!!!!  :)
JK

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 08:46:26 PM »
I think everyone is pretty spot on in one way or another.   I agree with Wyoming hunter  for what I hunt in the lower 48 the 300 Win mag is not a bad way to go for the person that shoots one gun,  load it hot and load it down,  with the exception of todays ammo shortages you could pretty much buy it anywhere and in other countries.  As much as I love the 270 Win for the man with one gun the 300 mags are imo a better choice. Fill in the blanks there are lots of different 300 mags out there. 

bluemts

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2021, 09:41:33 PM »
Mr Huckleberry was bored so wrote the post? As I get older I realize there are lots of different people with different ideas. I have friends that have hunted with all the calibers on your list and they have great reasons for liking them. To each his own.

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2021, 04:56:37 AM »
Keep in mind, most of the stuff on that list is the cheapest and most available to own. Putting the 270 Win on that list has Jack O'Connor doing flip flops in his grave.   ;D

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2021, 08:12:58 AM »
Original post
5. Disagree, 7mm rem is a great hunting, long range precision cartridge, steel
4. Agree, if the 280 rem would have came out before it or if Remington could market “anything” at all the 270 would not be so popular
3. Disagree, anything from a 280-7mm Weatherby gets a thumbs up from me
2. Disagree, 308 is a great cartridge, but l do understand what he is saying. It’s a 308, use it for what it is meant for, stop trying to make it into something it’s not.
1. Agree, nothing wrong with the creedmore, but once again if Remington could market “anything” the 260 Remington would be the cartridge that the creedmore is.

The one l would add to the list
1. Anything 30 caliber, except the 300 savage. The savage is a great cartridge

:o ::) 8) ;D ;D
Mike

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2021, 08:51:20 AM »

hahahahaha,   ::) :o

Rob

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2021, 08:52:04 AM »

[/quote]

Some people have an unusually keen insight. :)

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2021, 09:36:42 AM »
I was going to stay out of this one, but oh well. I don't know much about that .28, but all the others have proven themselves as decent rounds with extensive track records of adequate effectiveness. Every one of them have taken a ton of game. Bullet design and weight (for caliber/range), along with shot placement, are more important as long as the caliber is sufficient for the game (in my opinion).
Come and take it.

Buckleman

• B-MAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2021, 10:04:58 AM »
Chime in Huck.

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2021, 10:05:22 AM »
 I have my list as well.
1. Anything inaccurate.    ;D

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2021, 10:53:56 AM »
I have my list as well.

Oh boy, now we have too define inaccurate! Is 4” at 100 yards or 1” at 100 yards or somewhere in between. Or less or more

;D ;D
Mike

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2021, 11:06:25 AM »
Doesn't everybody's 3 shot groups look like this?

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2021, 11:23:41 AM »
I have my list as well.

Oh boy, now we have too define inaccurate! Is 4” at 100 yards or 1” at 100 yards or somewhere in between. Or less or more

;D ;D

Purely a personal choice!   ;D

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2021, 11:54:53 AM »
There really hasn't been a whole lot cartridge wise that hasn't been done before by someone wildcatting,  maybe a little different flavor, slight cartridge design changes, belt / no-belt , improved shoulder,  etc.  Where we have improved is powders and bullet design and construction.   Take for instance the Old Fred Barnes was making 180 grain  cup and core 270 caliber  round nose bullets way back when,  B/C 372, sectional density is .335 and they shot around 2750 fps in a 270 Win. Some new bullets in the new Winchester cartridge that just came out different case, a larger case capacity and rifling twist for the most part.   Our old loading writings in some cases show velocities above what some new loading manuals will show.  Take some of Jack O'conners loads in a 270 Win pushing a 130 grain in excess of 3200 fps,  150's  can push slightly over 3000 fps at your own risk of course.  300 Wby I know for a fact I can push a 180 grain slightly over 3300 fps in a 24 " bbl I would not recommend it, brass life is very short lived.  I will not recommend anyone going over recommended current  max loadings in any cartridge re-loading 101 work load up in a safe manner as per loading manual instructions.  My point is comparing one cartridge over another cartridge  or similar capacities and bore diameters is like comparing apples and oranges .  There are cartridges out there that kill above their weight and they kick a lot less.  Shoot a lot,  be proficient with your gun, choose a good bullet,  shoot cartridge/gun combo what you like and be a happy camper.  This non sense of one is better than the other is only someones opinion.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 11:58:47 AM by zoniezonie »