Spike Camp

What do you think the new wby round is

Re: What do you think the new wby round is
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2021, 04:52:20 PM »
I love each of the picks that everyone has posted but here is what I think. The big stuff (based on .378 case) wouldn’t sell enough to justify the expense. Those who stated that Weatherby didn’t invest in the 6.5 RPM just to offer one choice in the RPM line are on the right track. Think about it. The RPM case is a first for Weatherby - a totally new design that has nothing in common with their traditional cartridges. They didn’t do that just so they could offer one non-characteristic cartridge in their line. So if it’s on the RPM line, what caliber will it be? As much as I like 8mm, they don’t sell well in this country. Since their 7mm isn’t a hot seller, I can’t see them choosing that one either, at least not now. The .338 market also isn’t a huge seller. They offered 6.5 first, ostensibly because the market for 6.5’s is hot now. The .270 is popular and the new 6.8 Westerner is evidence that their is a belief that new .270 cartridges would sell. However, a .270 RPM would be only slightly larger than the 6.5 RPM. The last thing they need is a new RPM offering that would compete so closely with their existing one. I think it’s a .30 RPM. Since the 6.5 RPM is more powerful that the .264 Winchester Magnum, it makes sense that a .30 RPM would be close to (or better than) the .300 Winchester Magnum. Only it would be in a very light, 6-lug rifle. And .30 caliber has always been an American favorite. Whatever it is, I want one!

« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2021, 07:45:09 PM »
Well, since the 6.5 RPM has a couple of grains less powder than a .264WM it would not equal the longer 300WM but it would be nice indeed, esp. for a lighter rifle to carry after Elk.
I had a 30-06AI in a M70 Ftw. that I used for my lighter Elk/woods rifle and a 300WM Sendero for more open areas. A 30RPM would fill the role of a light weight all-round rifle like my 30-06AI did but give you more velocity.

« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2021, 08:30:05 PM »
I love each of the picks that everyone has posted but here is what I think. The big stuff (based on .378 case) wouldn’t sell enough to justify the expense. Those who stated that Weatherby didn’t invest in the 6.5 RPM just to offer one choice in the RPM line are on the right track. Think about it. The RPM case is a first for Weatherby - a totally new design that has nothing in common with their traditional cartridges. They didn’t do that just so they could offer one non-characteristic cartridge in their line. So if it’s on the RPM line, what caliber will it be? As much as I like 8mm, they don’t sell well in this country. Since their 7mm isn’t a hot seller, I can’t see them choosing that one either, at least not now. The .338 market also isn’t a huge seller. They offered 6.5 first, ostensibly because the market for 6.5’s is hot now. The .270 is popular and the new 6.8 Westerner is evidence that their is a belief that new .270 cartridges would sell. However, a .270 RPM would be only slightly larger than the 6.5 RPM. The last thing they need is a new RPM offering that would compete so closely with their existing one. I think it’s a .30 RPM. Since the 6.5 RPM is more powerful that the .264 Winchester Magnum, it makes sense that a .30 RPM would be close to (or better than) the .300 Winchester Magnum. Only it would be in a very light, 6-lug rifle. And .30 caliber has always been an American favorite. Whatever it is, I want one!

Hard to beat logic and reason like above,  However I'm waiting for a .Mk V .375 Wby Mag. I definitely do not have a need for one but..... :)

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2021, 09:02:56 AM »

Hard to beat logic and reason like above,  However I'm waiting for a .Mk V .375 Wby Mag. I definitely do not have a need for one but..... :)

Why you waiting? You can get a Mark V 375 Wby though the custom shop, that where I ordered mine from.

The RPM case platform has many options on caliber's that can be made from it. So, we will just have to wait an see, but I doubt it will be a 30 cal next, the 30 cal market has a lot of options now. Not that a 30 RPM in the 6 lug action rifle, with a faster twist barrel, that could launch 180's about 2950-3000 fps, with the option to shoot heavier VLD bullets would be bad.

Rob

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2021, 09:04:54 AM »
What ever the newest Weatherby cartridge is based on the RPM case is likely NOT to be close to the 6.5 RPM---which means the .257 and .277 caliber bullets and maybe even the .243 and .284s. That leaves us at the .30 cal and larger. I doubt the smart guys at Weatherby Inc are going looking at a .224 fire breather but who knows?
Bullet weight / selection has to be a part of this too. There is not a wide selection for the 8mm (.323 cal) or .358 caliber family. There is a much larger selection in the .284, .308 and .338 caliber lines, so IF I was betting on it I would take one of those three, with some favor toward the .338s.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2021, 09:27:32 AM »
Oh man, 22 rpm with a gain twist barrel. Please no. I really can’t afford that right now

« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2021, 12:52:11 PM »
I’m curious what, if any changes were made to the chamber of the 300-378 mark and Sam were shooting those 250 atips. That’s some serious rpm’s. I know there’s a bunch of folks that are looking for something to push the 30caliber heavies faster than what’s currently on the table.

I think the biggest difference is Mark and Sam were shooting it in a 31 inch barrel. I understand why Weatherby offers it in a 26inch barrel (Hunting), but those big 378 cases really need a longer barrel to take full advantage of the case capacity.

« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2021, 06:00:49 PM »
I could see that around here with some of the road hunters.

« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2021, 10:23:03 AM »
Oh man, 22 rpm with a gain twist barrel. Please no. I really can’t afford that right now

I bet you have nothing to worry about with that one!

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2021, 04:53:53 PM »
Imagine a 338 RPM in a 4.9 lb. TI. I'd think about that a bit, being as un recoil concerned as I am. Would a non muzzle braked model trim the weight a bit more?    ;D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 05:34:01 PM by Grouchy »

« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2021, 06:33:33 PM »
Imagine a 338 RPM in a 4.9 lb. TI. I'd think about that a bit, being as un recoil concerned as I am. Would a non muzzle braked model trim the weight a bit more?    ;D

My .35 Whelen in a 9 1/2 lb Rem 700 with scope lets you know every time the trigger is pulled.  I don't think I want to try it in a rifle that weighs half as much.

« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2021, 06:44:03 PM »

My .35 Whelen in a 9 1/2 lb Rem 700 with scope lets you know every time the trigger is pulled.  I don't think I want to try it in a rifle that weighs half as much.

The funny thing about recoil is when I’m hunting I have never remembered the recoil after shooting at game!!! So once a 4.9 lb rifle is sighted in, the recoil makes no difference to me. A .338 or .350 or .375 RPM would be a great little hunting rig! I’d have to consider adding to my collection, especially if it’s .375.
Doug

« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2021, 09:09:09 AM »
I got an email yesterday showing an even lighter version of the six lug. It had new cartridge offerings of existing rounds like 6.5x284 but I did not see any new Weatherby Cartridge offerings.

« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2021, 12:31:18 PM »

I hate muzzle brakes. I have one on my 8mm Rem Mag. Aside from being ugly, they are loud as crap.

I'm all for light rifles but I prefer them in the right application (ie: short action chambering in a M70 featherweight or model 7 remington). I don't want one in a big magnum.
JW

I like rifles with wood stocks

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2021, 06:41:11 PM »

I'm all for light rifles but I prefer them in the right application.

Yeah no kidding.  I have a 7.5 pound 450 Nitro Express Ruger #1, that is beyond brutal firing a 500gr bullet at 2400+fps.
I have a 378 and 460 as well, and they feel like a .223 compared to the Ruger.