Spike Camp

What do you think the new wby round is

Re: What do you think the new wby round is
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2021, 05:33:47 PM »
Could a 7mm X .300 Weatherby be in the works?

« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2021, 08:42:59 AM »
Hey guys,

Truth be told, I would of launched a new cartridge last year if it weren't for the all time high demand and supply chain shortages.  The bottom line is that our backlog of ammunition is so high that I need to service our customers with ammo for their existing Weatherby rifles first.  If I launch a new cartridge it will eat into brass production capacity of existing cartridges.  There are many customers out there who need ammo for their rifles and so my priority is to get closer to caught up on that first. 

I hope that makes sense to you all.  I do assure you we have something developed and tested ready to launch when things get more caught up.  Oh, and then one after that too  :)

Adam

Makes sense to me.

I was originally thinking that as well; however, that would be the same ballistically-speaking as a 7mm STW. I think Weatherby would most likely up the ante a bit and go with a 7mm-378 WBY Mag, at least that's my take.

Food for thought... These are common calibers where Weatherby doesn't currently (or hasn't in the past) offer a Weatherby-developed cartridge/chambering:
- 8mm
JW

I like rifles with wood stocks

« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2021, 10:18:32 PM »
Hey guys,

Truth be told, I would of launched a new cartridge last year if it weren't for the all time high demand and supply chain shortages.  The bottom line is that our backlog of ammunition is so high that I need to service our customers with ammo for their existing Weatherby rifles first.  If I launch a new cartridge it will eat into brass production capacity of existing cartridges.  There are many customers out there who need ammo for their rifles and so my priority is to get closer to caught up on that first. 

I hope that makes sense to you all.  I do assure you we have something developed and tested ready to launch when things get more caught up.  Oh, and then one after that too  :)

Adam

Makes sense to me.

I was originally thinking that as well; however, that would be the same ballistically-speaking as a 7mm STW. I think Weatherby would most likely up the ante a bit and go with a 7mm-378 WBY Mag, at least that's my take.

Food for thought... These are common calibers where Weatherby doesn't currently (or hasn't in the past) offer a Weatherby-developed cartridge/chambering:
- 8mm

I wouldn't consider either 8mm or 35 common, and I would highly doubt any new cartridges coming out in those.

Rob

« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2021, 06:14:39 AM »

I wouldn't consider either 8mm or 35 common, and I would highly doubt any new cartridges coming out in those.

Rob

Depends on what part of the world you're in...

Winchester launched the 325 WSM 15 years ago, and the 350 legend even more recently. Personally, I'd welcome a Weatherby offering in either caliber.

Different strokes for different folks.

JW

I like rifles with wood stocks

« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2021, 08:03:02 AM »

Rob

Winchester launched the 325 WSM 15 years ago, and the 350 legend even more recently. Personally, I'd welcome a Weatherby offering in either caliber.

I won't say the the 325 WSM is not a decent caliber, but let's be real, how many are they selling?? And far as I know winchester still the only one offering ammo, which mean not enough demand for any one else to produce ammo. Same with the 350 legend, a straight wall cartridge for limited purpose.

If there was any real demand for any 8mm or 35 caliber, bullet companys would be developing modern bullets for those caliber's, you don't see that happening.

I agree different strokes for different folks, but just because a few folks would like to see a weatherby in every caliber, I highly doubt there is even close to enough demand of it to make them any money, to even cover the cost of R&D.

Rob

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2021, 09:53:24 AM »
I'm loading 220gr A-Frames and Woodleigh Protected Points in my 325 WSM. They are modern enough and sub moa. :) Most 8mm bullets are designed for the Mauser's much slower velocity. My 35 is a over 100 year old round, 35 Remington. Yes, limited appeal! A 35 RPM in a super light rifle might change that but a 338 RPM would be cool.

« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2021, 10:38:16 AM »
I would love to see Weatherby reintroduce the 220rocket or a 22-240. Years ago i started to play with a 7mm-378 but the gunsmith i had do the work screwed up the extractor and it would not extract anything. my project started out to be a 7mm-300 and he screwed up the chamber and that is why i tried 7mm-378.I don't think Weatherby will introduce a new caliber but a new cartridge in existing caliber. I would love to see either or both 7mm-30 7mm-378 but only Weatherby knows for sure. If only Adam could tell us what the new cartridges are even though we would have to wait for the release date. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 10:40:50 AM by purplefox66 »
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2021, 02:25:21 PM »

Rob

So much for the .325WSM launch! ::)

« Reply #98 on: Yesterday at 08:28:38 AM »
I would like to see a 25 cal rpm with an 8 wrist barrel along with a 270 and 7mm rpm wth an 8twist or offer the old chamberings with tight twist barrels to take advantage of new high bc bullete