Spike Camp

Weatherby's most underrated cartridge?

Re: Weatherby's most underrated cartridge?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2021, 08:04:22 AM »
Although meant for animals on the lighter end of the spectrum, I think the .240 Weatherby Magnum is a little underrated.

We don’t have a lot of whitetail deer here, but if that was the primary animal I hunted, I would probably carry a .240 Weatherby.
JK

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2021, 08:34:10 AM »
Although meant for animals on the lighter end of the spectrum, I think the .240 Weatherby Magnum is a little underrated.

We don’t have a lot of whitetail deer here, but if that was the primary animal I hunted, I would probably carry a .240 Weatherby.
I agree.  We DO have whitetails here and over the years I have killed a number of them with my 240 Magnum.  IMO just about perfect. Not popular though as I am the only hunter around here that I know of that owns one!
Pennsylvania "Big Woods" Mountain Buck.

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2021, 12:04:15 PM »
My vote would be the 7mm Weatherby. One, if not the best, 7mm mags made. For the life of me I will never understand why the company doesn't promote it more. Would be great to see it and the 340 offered in the Vanguard line of rifles.
Any man who would compromise his freedom in pursuit of safety deserves neither freedom or safety...BF

257 Shooter

• 257 Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2021, 08:01:36 PM »
Completely agree.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2021, 09:53:53 AM »
My vote would be the 7mm Weatherby. One, if not the best, 7mm mags made. For the life of me I will never understand why the company doesn't promote it more. Would be great to see it and the 340 offered in the Vanguard line of rifles.
    The 7mm Wby. gets the nod from me also. Maybe someday the 7mag/340 combo will be popular.  Seems all the new models and new calibers get all the promoting, while the origanal 70+ year old calibers get a rest on their laurels. The 7mm Wby. gets no love, while the Remington 7mm Magnum gets to be called the "Big Seven" by writers in magazines articles. >:( 
           Not a humongous difference in ballistics of the two 7's, but the Weatherby did come first.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2021, 10:57:27 AM »
340 wby!

can easily be argued as Weatherby's best cartridge/ do all as well.
also not many on the market can compete with this one.....even tho the 300wby was first...there are many 300s nowadays taking some of the limelight away.

I'd also say the 240wby is underrated although seems to be receiving more attention these days.... I can even argue it's a better antelope cartridge than the 257wby!