Spike Camp

An Aussie hunt a couple of months ago

An Aussie hunt a couple of months ago
« on: June 28, 2021, 12:25:40 AM »
So I left home on Saturday morning and arrived Saturday afternoon, and when we arrived to the property, the welcome beers went a bit late  ::)

Sunday was spent helping to fix leaking water troughs and a pump that wouldnít behave. The property owner said there was bugger all pigs around due to so much water and feed available, and in addition they had just spent a few days mustering where we would be hunting  :-\

Thereís a fair bit of water around.....

Which means thereís a lot of ground cover.....

In any case old mate arrived Sunday evening and Monday morning the two steel horses were ready....

Monday saw 50km covered through the thick scrub and the high grass covered flats. For no result. Saw sign and itís definitely pig country, but not a cracker was seen. The Marlin 44 Magnum and Remington 7600 30-06 both got dusty but didnít get to make a noise.

So, unrewarded, we ended up heading back for a few beers and a feed. Day 1, fail.

Day 2.

Up earlier. 65km covered. Didnít get ejected from the WR but it was close a few times   ;D

Put up 3 sows with 5 suckers this morning- visible for about 2 seconds then vanished into the scrub.....

Beers in the evening and a crack of dawn start the next day. Todayís report card = E minus   :(

Day 3. Up and out there at first light. Fairly cool.....

Checked all the likely spots....

35 more kilometres through this sort of stuff....

Not our boots..... somebody had been poaching?

Grand total for the morning was 1 porker seen for about 1.5 seconds while jumping over a log and disappearing into the thick stuff.

So the rest of today we rode and rode. And freakin rode some more.

But we saw some nice stuff...

In the end we came away empty handed. Hopefully our overseas friends like the report to see some of the country we hunt in.

danno50

• View Profile
Re: An Aussie hunt a couple of months ago
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 08:47:03 AM »
Great pictures of the countryside. Do you have to be worried about snakes in the areas you've been exploring and hunting? 
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 10:36:37 AM »
Every hunter experiences that sort of frustration at one time or another.  It seems to be the rule rather than the exception.  Still all in all it looks like you still had a great time. To me that is the ultimate goal.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 01:31:06 PM »
Great pictures of the countryside. Do you have to be worried about snakes in the areas you've been exploring and hunting?

This place I did, there are plenty about and they are the most nasty variety.....

Every hunter experiences that sort of frustration at one time or another.  It seems to be the rule rather than the exception.  Still all in all it looks like you still had a great time. To me that is the ultimate goal.

We had a great time, and you are 100% correct - that is most certainly the goal!

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 07:37:25 PM »

Danno it's Australia so of course you have to keep an eye out for them  ;D
Aussie gun nut.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 07:39:04 PM »
Cool hunt report. I don't know about our overseas friends but I sure did like it. Plenty of rain out that way. Western NSW or QLD? 
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 11:47:41 PM »
Cool hunt report. I don't know about our overseas friends but I sure did like it. Plenty of rain out that way. Western NSW or QLD?

Cheers mate. It was north western NSW.....

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 02:35:49 AM »
Yes it is either too wet or too dry to hunt out there lol.
Aussie gun nut.