Spike Camp

Another trip out downunder

Another trip out downunder
« on: June 28, 2021, 12:31:38 AM »
Well I just had another couple of days out bush. We went to a state forest for an R Licence hunt and finally acquired a trophy!

My instructions were to be at the mates place early enough for a departure no later than 0800hrs. So I dutifully arrive and we set off, arriving at the LZ around 1000hrs. A quick camp setup some wood cut. He had been to the place before, but it was my first trip there……

So we head off at the scheduled time and drive to a spot where he had previously seen deer sign. We split up and agreed to be back at the vehicle by 1730hrs. The ground cover was very dry which made being quiet rather difficult.

Not too far into the hunt the new batteries in my old GPS crapped out. Doh! Not to worry a new GPS should be delivered today.

There was a large number of wombats and a huge number of wallabies in the forest. After a couple of days I didn’t even bat an eyelid to their warning thumps as they crashed out of the ferns.

Anyways, come 1730hrs I was back at the vehicle having covered about 6km, and not firing a shot. Back to camp we trundled, where the fire was started and a few beers and a couple of rums were had with a basic feed.

The moon was a “yellow moon” and bright as anything.

The morning dawned and I set off on foot from camp.

It was great looking country, with deer bound to be in there for sure…..

There were some tracks around.

I also came across a skull.....

After a few hours I was about 400m from camp when I put up a trophy hare at around 20m. The crosshairs swung out in front and I gained lead. The 7mm WSM was about to roar, but I couldn’t be bothered cleaning the barrel for the sake of a hare.

Back to camp for a cookup, then more sitting around until the afternoon departure time of 1500hrs to another spot where the mate thought was likely to produce more nothing.

Again we split up and I covered about 5.3km this time.

Not long after, I started to see some sign.

I pushed on in anticipation and had a nice walk with some stuff to see.

So returning to the vehicle at the agreed time, the mate reported he had seen a fox, but no sign of deer or pigs. I didn’t feel so bad after that, and we headed back to camp.

A few beers and then I poured a nice rum. Eagerly anticipating Bundaberg’s finest reaching my palate, I was crushed then the handle fell of my old metal mug. Into the fire the bastard went with an expletive ridden send off, and my backup mug was deployed  8)

Come this morning prior to departure I retrieved my state forest trophy of the trip

BB340

• View Profile
Re: Another trip out downunder
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 07:48:33 PM »
Not so much luck on this trip hey. Oh well s#@t happens lol
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 11:48:11 PM »

Beats being at work!

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 02:34:24 AM »

Beats being at work!

A bad days hunting is better than a good day at work.
Aussie gun nut.