Spike Camp

Weatherby Falling block action or ?

Weatherby Falling block action or ?
« on: September 16, 2021, 12:26:52 PM »
One way to increase bullet fps performance is to increase barrel length.  I'd like to see Weatherby come out with a short falling block action with a lightweight carbon wrapped barrel in about 30 "  and still keep the overall rifle length down vs a typical bolt action which are long to begin with.   Mark V's have been around for a long time and they're great,  but I think we need to  look out side the box for something new.  Long range shooters typically  don't cycle the action very fast anyway but they do like bullets with high bc's and more fps isn't a bad thing either. 

Re: Weatherby Falling block action or ?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 01:41:16 PM »
Cool idea, but it has to be viable from a marketing/sales standpoint to even be considered. I don't think demand would be at a level that would support that. If demand were there, you can bet somebody would be building it. Like your thinking though!
Come and take it.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 06:53:49 PM »
I love single shots, and I am a huge fan of Ruger No. 1s.  Would really love to see a single shot falling block Weatherby.  Maybe you on to something.  ;D
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 07:42:29 PM »
Own several ruger 1's and some in Wby chambers - probably my favorite hunting guns to pack to the stand or stalk with.

Doubt we will see it but if we did i'd be lookin! :)

kmoore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 08:01:44 AM »
I am no expert or have insider information, but what I have read over the years and by people posting on Ruger forums is that as beautiful as the #1 are, they never made money for Ruger. My own words: Bill wanted a flagship beautiful rifle his company made, he do so without regard to making money on it and he did not. Owners of Ruger #1 and #3 make money if they keep them like new in box. Great rifles to look at, I have never heard of anyone setting any records with accuracy but read about disappointments in that regard. That was not his point he wanted a beautiful rifle, he could make up the loss with high volume sales in other guns.
Could Weatherby make a new single shot action rifle that looks beautiful and shoots like a dream, I bet they could. I also bet it to would be a money loser.   

kmoore

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 08:28:42 AM »
I am no expert or have insider information, but what I have read over the years and by people posting on Ruger forums is that as beautiful as the #1 are, they never made money for Ruger.
Could Weatherby make a new single shot action rifle that looks beautiful and shoots like a dream, I bet they could. I also bet it to would be a money loser.     
     I'm no expert either, but sales have always driven the bottom line, and another high end rifle without deep pockets would signal a loss. Unless the innovation, in this case a falling block, was an instant must have creation. Usually a great looking (beautiful) rifle would have a high end wood stock and at least some engraving, and Weatherby already has beautiful expensive rifles. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the idea of a resurgence, with some modifications, of the falling block, but there just wouldn't be enough hoop-la for it to be a money maker. Again, maybe with deep pockets, and this is just another opinion. 
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 09:01:17 AM »
Therein lays a potential problem the old guy's aren't around anymore where they were more apt to  just say I like it let's build it.   I don't think single shot rifles of this type are any less accurate,  for instance look at over 100 year old Rolling blocks and Ballards   and a few others that were pretty darn accurate in their day.    Barrels have come a long way and so has Chassis systems / Frames which don't allow as many unwanted influences / rifle bad habits.    I think you could keep the cost down,  single shots  of this type are fairly simple and carbon wrapped barrels the more you make the less they cost.  Manufacturers wrap a bunch of stuff to lighten and stiffen things  up,   O2 cylinders,  fishing rods , Arrows,  all sorts of other things,  and the list goes on.   They are making plastic pistols they can darn sure make less expensive wrapped carbon barrels if they wanted.

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 09:46:57 AM »
When designs/ products don’t make money they are redesigned or scraped. I’ve owned two Ruger #1s and both shot as well as most bolt guns 7x57 and 270.
There are at least four maybe five companies making single shot rifles and doing quite well.
I know what I know if you know what I mean

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 12:40:46 PM »
Bolt gun accuracy has come a long way in the last 15 or less years,but I would say those improvements are from better barrels.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

kmoore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 12:58:01 PM »
Yea, better barrels, better triggers, better bedding and add better optics. Some not all rifles are just night and day from those nice rifles of my youth.   
kmoore

300elkhntr

• aka Elkhntr08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 03:21:17 PM »
A Weatherby patterned after the Browning 1885 would be a dream come true.
Have a 1885 in 7mm RM that is my favorite rifle even though it’s never been shot. It’s just graceful and simple. Classic.
Life is what you make it. Enjoy because none of us get out alive.

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 03:41:45 PM »
I'd rather see a semi auto drop box magazine rifle with The RPM length rounds.   :) It might even show a profit! Make it a one piece stock, like the Winchester 100. The RPM opened doors for the Weatherby brand. Make the most of it in the 21st century not the 19th!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 04:27:03 PM by Grouchy »