Spike Camp

Getting the Canning stuff ready

Getting the Canning stuff ready
« on: October 09, 2021, 06:18:51 PM »
Just got back from Ca bottom fishing rented the whole boat for a couple  of day  trips,  no over night trips  covid restrictions.  22 of us were suppose to go I think 19 showed up.  great fishing my son and I came home with around 70 + pounds of good filets between the 2 of us.   Getting the canning pressure cookers ready for the up coming hunts my son and I leaving next week for an Early Kaibab Deer hunt north rim of the Grand Canyon,  and a month later we both are hunting Bull Elk just south of the south rim of the Grand Canyon,   big bulls hard to hunt if we get one I'll be happy.  Bought an extra 10 dozen pints and quarts jars and and roughly 300 lids and a few rings.  Might have to break out my mom's old pressure cooker,  I really don't like using that one.   My son won't can his deer or elk we will butcher them and  get a couple vacuum sealers going on his game.   We will pressure can most of  mine it just stays longer and I like the taste you can shred it and make tomales, great taco's, & burritos,  really good beef stew or you can snack on it right out of the jar.    Every now and then I'll can some fish generally the worst tasting fish I'll can, trout comes out like rich Salmon Patties.  Next time I Tuna Fish it's all getting canned except for some I'll give away to friends who like Ahi.  Other fishes like Dorado and Wahoo  we filet or steak out.   My wife has been in a canning mode lately Hatch Green chili's ,  sweet potatoes,  green beans,  green chili salsa. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 06:37:39 PM by zoniezonie »