Spike Camp

Finally found a good load - 7mm WBY

Finally found a good load - 7mm WBY
« on: October 27, 2021, 02:56:46 PM »
After months of unsuccessful tinkering with different charges of H4831SC and seating depths trying to get 140 grain Partitions to shoot, I decided to try a different bullet. I couldn't get a group under 2.5" with the partitions.

Based on a number of different testimonials I've read about how easy it was to work up a load with Hammer Bullets I decided to give them a try.

I settled on 150 grain Shock Hammers as they were recommend for the 1:10 twist in my German Weatherby.  Initially I loaded up 4 rounds with 72 grains of H4831SC.  Instantly they were all under 1" at 100 yards so I loaded up 20 more.  I started with a perfectly clean barrel and took them to the range to get it sighed in for hunting season.  First two shots were 3/4" apart but high and left.  I adjusted my scope and brought it down 2".  Next two shots were 1/2" apart, perfect elevation but 1.5" left.  Adjusted one more time and my next two shots were nearly touching right where I wanted them at exactly 3" high at 100.

BB340

• View Profile
Re: Finally found a good load - 7mm WBY
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 05:14:14 PM »
Looks good. I feel sorry for any critters you put your crosshairs on  ;D
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 10:42:27 PM »
it would be interesting to see what the 5 shot group would be after you got done moving the scope. Looks like you could have something decent.

Rob

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 08:08:36 AM »
A few years ago the load development with my 7mm Wby put three different 150 gn bullets into the same sized groups. Choosing which one to use was a good problem to have. The rifle also liked 140 and 160 grain bullets. The old White tail buck I took dropped like a sack of feed when the 150gn Scirocco hit him.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.