Spike Camp

Picatinny scope base for Southgate Weatherby on an FN Mauser action?

Help! I have an exquisitely made "round nose" Southgate Weatherby in .300 Wby with a 26" barrel that was made on an FN commercial Mauser action in the early 1950s with a serial number in the low-500s. The safety is mounted on the rear as part of the bolt.

Although Weatherby told me that any large ring Mauser base should work, none fit of the several that I have tried. My action has 3 screw holes, so it requires a one-piece base. Invariably, the two holes on the front of the action match the bases perfectly (109 mm front split), but the hole to the rear of the action does not.

I would like to replace the original Buehler base, vertically split rings, and Bear Cub scope with a steel Picatinny or weaver base, so that I can mount a scope with a 30 mm tube in quick-release rings. What base to buy, and how to find it, for this rifle?

Grateful for anyone who can help me solve this puzzle.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 11:09:31 AM by marsiglia »

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
Re: Picatinny scope base for Southgate Weatherby on an FN Mauser action?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 03:26:00 PM »
Welcome to the nation!  I kind of feel like you are trying to take a 1950s rifle into 2021. Maybe Mauser's site will help?  :)

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 08:22:07 AM »
Good luck
Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 11:54:52 AM »
You might give these folks a try. They were able to provide a rail for my 1960 FN Mauser in 300 WBY. I gave them the specs for my hole spacing and they had one that worked perfect. I did this in 2012. https://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts-rings/standard-rifle-scope-mounts/mauser/

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 06:09:37 PM »
Oldchet is right give egw a try and see what they say,   don't re-drill the rear of the rifle receiver,  try and match up one of the commercial bases and I would  go with a 20 moa base if only to gain more elevation adjustment in the scope if you don't need he added adjustment range then go with the 0 moa base.  Worst case scenario is have a good  gunsmith get a blank base from one of the base makers and have a good gunsmith match up the existing holes on the rifle.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 10:52:04 AM by zoniezonie »

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 10:39:47 AM »
Why dont you call talley or any of the base mfg,s and tell them what you need and i,me sure one of them can and will make you a custom base :)
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill