Spike Camp

Using Weatherby rounds in the woods?

Using Weatherby rounds in the woods?
« on: November 06, 2021, 06:27:02 PM »
Got a question for my fellow Weatherby owners of rifles chambered in Weatherby cartridges.  I've seen quite a few photos around of people using their Weatherby rifles in the woods.  I realize that these rifles do come chambered in standard rounds, and using those in the woods makes sense.  However, Weatherby rounds are generally among the highest velocity cartridges available in a given caliber.  How many here use their rifles chambered in those cartridges in the woods, and why?  Also what bullets are you using to avoid bullet failure and blowup at extremely high impact velocities?

I've got a 257Wby and two 240Wbys and I love using them over large fields where I typically hunt.  I had a bad experience with a close shot from my 257 years ago while using a standard soft point bullet.  I now leave the Weatherbys in the safe if I go to hunt in the woods.  I grab my 30-30 lever gun, 223, or maybe 7mm-08 if I know shots won't be over 100yds.  I prefer rounds that launch bullets at more sane speeds for that duty.  I save the Weatherbys for longer ranges.

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
Re: Using Weatherby rounds in the woods?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 05:09:36 AM »
I find its bullet construction at shorter ranges more than the velocity issue. I've taken a number of hogs in thick "woods" with my 7mm WSM at around 50 yards with Barnes 140gr. TSX, but had failures with softer bullets at the same speed.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 06:45:04 AM »
Use premium bullets, like Barnes, Nosler Accubond, Partitions, Swift A-Frame to name a few.
You can use the same bullet for close to long range, in normal hunting distances
Mike

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 08:27:30 AM »
+3  like the others already posted, use premium bullets

Rob

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 10:01:54 AM »
Again, like others have posted, use premium bullets.

I've used my .300 Wby with 168 or 180 grain Barnes bullets on hunts on 4 continents for 30 pound African antelope with shots from 50 to 300 yards and 700 pound bull elk at 100 yards.  I have full confidence in those bullets and don't give them a second thought on any animal that I'm hunting with them.
NRA Endowment Life Member

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 09:20:18 AM »
+4 Use premium bullets.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 04:15:10 PM »
Years ago I killed a whitetail buck in the woods with my 257 Weatherby Mag.  Dropped him with one shot instantly with a 100 Gr. Nosler handload. I was watching a field from a wood line at the time and he came in on the woods side. Killed him at about 70 yards.

The only Weatherby I use in the woods regularly is my Mark V Stainless in 340 Weatherby Mag.  I use it for bear hunting. I know I can kill him from any angle he may present and get the penetration required for such shots.
Pennsylvania "Big Woods" Mountain Buck.

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2021, 07:59:17 AM »
I hunt the mature forest of the Adirondacks with my .300Wby 180gr partitions and never had a problem

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 11:35:00 AM »
Cheap bullets only work in none premium calibers
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2022, 02:26:40 PM »
I use a German manufacture Mark V in .270 Wby Mag I inherited from my father-in-law.  I use Weatherby 130 grain Norma spitzer ammunition on whitetails in the Minnesota northwoods.  That ammo is apparently no longer being sold.  Weatherby does sell a 130 grain Hornady InterLock round, which has a little faster velocity than the round with the Norma bullet and should work just fine on whitetails in the woods.  Recoil feels the same as my .30/06.  I suspect that in the not too distant future the MN DNR will require bullets that aren't lead for big game hunting so you may want to avoid buying too much ammo with lead bullets if your state is headed down the same path.

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2022, 07:54:07 PM »
To love a weatherby is to love velocity. Velocity and soft metal are a bad combo - my average shots at the ranch are +/- 100 yards never fails they walk out well within 100 yards.

Premium ammo all they way, never fails me.

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2022, 04:33:04 PM »
I find its bullet construction at shorter ranges more than the velocity issue. I've taken a number of hogs in thick "woods" with my 7mm WSM at around 50 yards with Barnes 140gr. TSX, but had failures with softer bullets at the same speed.

awesome

https://www.globaltaxidermymounts.com/buy-taxidermy-mounts-online/