Spike Camp

Hello from Warburton in Victoria, Australia

Hello from Warburton in Victoria, Australia
« on: February 23, 2009, 07:46:26 PM »
Hi all,
My name is Dave and I am a keen hunter living in Warburton which is located in Victoria, Australia and close to the high country.  I am a metallurgist by background but love sales and hunting and have been a fly fishing guide.
My wife, 2 beautiful girls and myself live on the side of a mountain where we can hunt sambar deer with no limit, all year round provided that all shooting is within legal hours.  We love venison, especially my wife and she loves the savings on our grocery bill!
I have become a weatherby fan lately and look forward to purchasing an Accurmark in 300Wby for medium range shots (up to 400yds).  Since reading your posts I have appreciated the versatility of this round and look forward to using 180gn accubonds to harvest sambar deer.
I look forward to gleaming some of the insights you guys have into this calibre in the future and your advice.
Regards
Dave in Warburton   

kdog

Re: Hello from Warburton in Victoria, Australia
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 01:24:27 AM »
Dave, Welcome to the nation. I recently acquired a 300 Weatherby Mark V. Long story but if you search my post you can find the story on how I acquired this rife. I feel you will fall in love with this caliber. I love mine. Again, welcome to the forum, stick around and read the discussions. Lots of great people here and a lot of knowledge I have learned a lot here and fell you will as well . So, pull up a stump, get comfortable and hang out for awhile. Take care and stay safe.

Dave I believe this link will take you to the thread on how I came about my weatherby if you want to read it.
http://www.weatherbynation.com/spikecamp/conversation/1/2006/13/#msg18057
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 01:26:57 AM by kdog »
Armed Forces.....We salute you!

ohr61

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 11:42:11 AM »
Welcome Dave!

The .300 is probably the most popular of all Weatherby cartridges, save the .257. The .300 Weatherby is a great all around cartridge for North American game, but I must plead ignorance to Australia's big game. I hope to visit your beautiful country someday!
Orison Rollins

"Life is Tremendous"

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 02:55:37 AM »
Hey guys, thank you so much for your replies.  Thanks for the links on acquiring the accumark.  All the best.  I'll post a recent photo of my first stag. 

Regards
Dave

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 11:40:24 AM »
Hello from the Colorado Rocky Mountains!  My boys (and one daughter) and I get to hunt Colorado Mule Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, and Black Bear here.

I have a 300 Wby Mag that I could not resist buying because of the Snow Camo stock - my first Weatherby and my first 300 Wby Mag!

I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do.

I envy your hunting schedule as we must wait for more limited opportunities here.  I grew up in Montana where the hunting seasons were long, most areas 2-deer, and more chances to hunt.  But Colorado has been great for raising a family and building fantastic hunting trip memories.

Again welcome to our campfire...

JL