Spike Camp

Who All Tapes The End of there Rifle Barrel ?

Who All Tapes The End of there Rifle Barrel ?
« on: November 22, 2021, 07:00:40 PM »
My first year of deer hunting.my Freind and I went into A stand of Pines to have A cigarette with out being cought by his dad.
A gust of wind dropped snow all over me and plugged my barrel. I was much more carefull after that. But it wasn't untill I watched A brown bear hunt on tv and seen the hunter tape his barrel that I have it any thought.  He said your paying thousands of dollars for this hunt and it can be dangerous to boot. It's no time for A plugged barrel.
But still it's only been the last 5 years or so.  That I make sure and tape the end of my barrel before opening day. And keep the role of electrical tape with me.
I slipped and fell crossing a log in A cedar swamp last week. Don't know if It saved me there or not. But I didn't have to worry about it.

Mark

Re: Who All Tapes The End of there Rifle Barrel ?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 07:03:59 PM »
I actually put 2 or 3 strips of electrical tape along my barrels just before season and use them when anything is wet or slippery. Does not cause any trouble when shooting but has sure kept a fair share amount of crud out of the barrel.

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 07:09:26 PM »
Iím going to try covering the muzzle with electrical tape. Iíve heard of it for years with hunting rifles.
In the Ďstan we had Shoot Through caps on our M-4 carbines to keep out dust and crud. The caps had no effect on accuracy.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 07:47:27 PM »
What I've been doing is buying surgical gloves ( very small) and cutting the little finger off and using this as a barrel condom. Works good.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 08:18:07 PM »
What I've been doing is buying surgical gloves ( very small) and cutting the little finger off and using this as a barrel condom. Works good.

I had a smart remark but I don't know you that well. ;D
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 08:40:44 PM »
No smart ass remarks   check out finger cots  @  walgreens, walmart, cvs and yes some look like tiny  condoms.  I use them over the barrel if I know it's going to snow or  rain I also use them to help heal small cracks on my finger tips and you will love this I use Preparation H as a healing ointment for skin cracks, a doctor friend told me about this years ago and it absolutely heals  dry cracks in half the time.  A lot of cashiers and others who handle documents, money will use finger cots  one type or the other.   They're cheap
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 08:43:13 PM by zoniezonie »

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 08:59:55 PM »

I had a smart remark but I don't know you that well. ;D

I can read your mind  ;D   Zonie I never heard of these finger cots. Looked them up and they seem to be the way to go. TKS
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 09:02:41 PM by canadian reloarder »

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 09:49:32 PM »
I have used a small balloon over the end of the barrel
Max

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 11:46:33 PM »
I too have used the finger cots and small ballons to cover the barrel end's with great results. When you go to CVS or Walgreens, dont forget to use the correct term "finger cots" and not "finger condoms" as we generally use here. Gauranteed you'll get some strange and bewildered looks from the clerk when asking for them.
Bill

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2021, 02:51:08 AM »
The cots work well for covering muzzle brakes as well to keep branches and such from snagging.   :)

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 07:30:49 AM »
Hunting in wet, thick timber or cold snow, I started tapping muzzles about 40 years ago. At times I found pine needles and other stuff from tress on and in an action. To me it would be to easy to get ice in barrel or other debris in barrel, that could really cause a problem. So a little black electrical tape over muzzle and brake. I have had people tell me it will blow up the barrel or ruin the first shots accuracy. It does either. I even tried it at the range just to test if it impairs in first shot placement. I don't rap it on like fixing a leaking water pipe just a layer of tape and sometimes add more as it gets rubbed off.
My guess is only that a guess, I don't beleive the bullet ever touches the tape, the pressure wave of the blast blows the tape off before the bullet arrives. I have tied to figure that out by looking at the tape pieces if can be found. But I have no real proof one way or the other.
About 20 years ago on a winter Elk hunt was the first time I hunted with a older friend and neighbor, he was a Marine sniper in Vietnam. He came out of his tent with a tapped muzzle and a string hanging from the tape. He mentioned he learned that many years earlier. For those who wonder, the string was his wind gauge.
My elk hunt ended with no elk, no shots on the 18th, on the 20th I cleaned up my gear and pulled the tape off.       
kmoore

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 07:45:12 AM »
In 30 years with the telco, I must have placed 1000's of yds. of tape of one sort or another. A proper air tight tape joint uses 4 different tapes and a rubber cement. I never put any on a barrel, yet. I've been using the cots forever, even on shotguns.  ;D

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2021, 11:31:31 AM »
Something we don't talk about too often muzzle brakes catching on branches, thorn bushes, etc.  I guess mine must be a magnet for catching thorn bushes, I've had stiff brush catch the bolt handle and open it so I'm very aware of any pulling on the rifle when going thru brush.  I'm kind of surprised someone hasn't invented a muzzlebrake with a slightly recessed closable reed valve system that closes the reed valves when the shot is not fired and then opens as the bullet passes or could be made with adjustable stops to create backpressure to increase or decrease gas resistance , basically a tuneable system. 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 12:04:29 PM by zoniezonie »

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2021, 12:47:22 PM »
Something we don't talk about too often muzzle brakes catching on branches, thorn bushes, etc.  I guess mine must be a magnet for catching thorn bushes, I've had stiff brush catch the bolt handle and open it so I'm very aware of any pulling on the rifle when going thru brush.  I'm kind of surprised someone hasn't invented a muzzlebrake with a slightly recessed closable reed valve system that closes the reed valves when the shot is not fired and then opens as the bullet passes or could be made with adjustable stops to create backpressure to increase or decrease gas resistance , basically a tuneable system.

Didn't Browning and Winchester have a tunable muzzle break? I had a BAR with that. They did make a solid one that wouldn't snag but lost the break advantage.  :)

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2021, 03:29:37 PM »
Browning had the Boss system that tuned the barrel vibration, don't know about Winchester.
DosEquisShooter