Spike Camp

Who All Tapes The End of there Rifle Barrel ?

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
Re: Who All Tapes The End of there Rifle Barrel ?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2021, 03:41:51 PM »
Browning had the Boss system that tuned the barrel vibration, don't know about Winchester.

Yup, they had it too. It tuned as well as being a break. I had it on a 300 Win Mag I took on my Wyoming elk hunt. Their specs on tuning were based on ammo that I could never find. It really didn't matter as I never got a shot. It still was my hunt of a lifetime.

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2021, 06:28:29 PM »
They actualy market a condom style barrel cover.
20 for $7.99
Mark

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2021, 07:14:24 PM »
20 for $7.99
    Looks like you get a his and her's choice of colors :)
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2021, 02:21:10 PM »
20 for $7.99
    Looks like you get a his and her's choice of colors :)

LMAO

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2021, 03:19:14 PM »
The barrel cots "come" in more acceptable colors.  ;D

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2021, 06:48:20 PM »
So i will say I was ignorant on the topic, but i've become a Jim Shockey fan (his outdoor shows anyway) watching them hunt big game and noticed they often have tape over the muzzle so i kinda did some research on it. Never heard of and certainly never thought off with our style hunting here in texas. Interesting though i can see the use of them now;

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2021, 09:52:16 AM »
Yea, I think its what environment you hunt in.  I don't want rain, pine needles, tiny sticks, snow, mud if gun dropped allowed to get into the barrel. You would think you might know if you got stuff caught it there and clear it. It took me 1 time as a young man walking to the duck blind in the dark with a uncased shotgun. I got to the blind and pumped the action only to find it had mud and sand in the gun through the muzzle. I never knew I had pushed the muzzle into the ground at some point. Opening the action I allowed that stuff to jam the action up. Ruined that days hunt. Ever since the shotguns stay in a case until time to hunt.       
kmoore

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2021, 12:32:42 PM »
Have a cousin that won a brand new semi-auto Benelli in a auction drawing. First week that he had it, he got invited on a duck hunt. Long story short, on the way to the blind, he somehow stuck the barrel in swampy mud (and naturally never felt it happen) before he got to the blind. At daybreak, when the first ducks passed, he jumped up, like the  rest of the guys and shot. The barrel got split 3 different ways, he or no one else got hurt, but he did get thrown backwards into the swamp mud. So much for the new Benelli.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2021, 06:36:07 PM »
So as a hunter that has never used tape or a condom style ;)  barrel cover... does the muzzle blast of the cartridge clear the tape etc. before the bullet exist the barrel...
I assume it does

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2021, 06:56:45 PM »
Yes Terry I tagged out today. And used tape on both deer and at the range. I go over the Muzzel then once around to hold the ends down.
The tape around the barrel always stays intact. And the end blows off almost in A perfect circle.

Mark

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 10:28:51 AM »
I can't remember how long I've been using tape over the barrel.  It's easy insurance.  In the military we either used condoms or fingers from surgical gloves to cover the muzzle break of our M16s. :)
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".