Spike Camp

What company's barrels have you used?

Chip

• View Profile
What company's barrels have you used?
« on: February 27, 2009, 04:34:33 PM »
I have always used Douglas Barrels but I'm leaning toward Hart.  Now that I have an Accumark I been thinking about checking out (Kreiger I think it is)?   If i go with a stainless barrel I'm going to have it fluted and bead blast finished to basicsally have a mini Vanguard Accumark in 260 Rem.  I'm also toying with the idea of a 260 AI but haven't looked into weather improving that round does much for it or not.  Another round I have always thought would be really cool to is a 270 Redding  and I'd be the only kid on my block with one.  Any thoughts?

Re: What company's barrels have you used?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 04:48:52 PM »
 I honestly think that you will see much if any difference between the 3 brands you mentioned and especially if that Douglass is the XX airgauged. I have seen absolutely stunning groups shot with those barrels. On the other hand if you plan on fluting the barrels I would recommend a barrel that is stress relieved and or a cut rifle barrel since it won't feel the effects of the fluting. Hammer forged barrels are generated with a lot of stress and I am not comfortable removing metal on said barrel. That being said there are factory rifles that are hammer forged and fluted and shoot but I would rather stack the odds in my corner when I am going to build a custom.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 07:15:35 PM »
I have shot rifles with Hart and Douglas barrels on em, and some of them shot extremely well. I have Kreiger's on two guns, Obermeyer's on two, all are TACK DRIVERS; and I LOVE EM'. I expect ALL of my guns to shoot subMOA, and I buy barrels accordingly. I learned to trust these because I shot several more rifles, (owned by the USMC), that had such barrels and they all were PERFORMERS. But my next barrel is to be a ROCKY MOUNTAIN RIFLE WORK, Ltd. barrel. Mark Chanlynn is a one man shop who makes all his own,....and I know 1 great rifleman(US Palma team), who shots em to GREAT effect. (I've seen the targets, and the shot groups are IMPRESSIVE)! Mark, I understand, apprentise under Obermeyer,....that's good enough for me! (303)823-6270 is the number to call to order yours.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 09:30:35 PM by Kristian »
Kristian Selous

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 05:33:19 PM »
In 1976 I had my 240 Weatherby in a Mark V Deluxe rebarreled with a Shilen.  At the time, the factory pencil barrel would shoot about 1.0 to 1.25 MOA, and I wanted to improve on this for rockchuck hunting.  After the Shilen was installed, and a handload worked up with fired brass, an 85 BTHP Sierra, and IMR 4350, it would shoot 5/8 inch quite consistently.  While this may not be benchrest accuracy, it was very effective on rockchucks out to 450 yards.

I eventually shot the Shilen out and the accuracy gradually deteriorated, but I was very happy with the results from it.