Spike Camp

Stock Makers and Engravers in short supply.

Stock Makers and Engravers in short supply.
« on: March 05, 2022, 10:11:52 AM »
I was talking with the gun purchaser from A local gun store. And we were talking about the Weatherby Mark V Deluxe now being A Custom only Rifle.
He told me it's because A lack of Qualified Stock Makers. It's is A dying Art. Those with the talent command Big Bucks.
I would have thought with laser Engravers that would not be A problem. 
Thoughts?
Mark

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
Re: Stock Makers and Engravers in short supply.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 10:41:24 AM »
It comes down to cost and demand.  Why are other manufacturers selling wood stocks?

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 01:15:45 PM »
As a lover of wood stocks, I hope they stay readily available. I think, like everything else, wood stocks are made largely by computer controlled machines, including some of the sanding and spraying operations. Probably very few stocks are made by mostly by hand anymore. The availability of good wood has declined, though, so I hear.
Come and take it.

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 07:02:36 AM »
It's interesting how the next gen will tackle the workforce, but we have dumbed down everyone to think if you do not have a college education you have no future or skill? I wasn't aware education was a skill, and kids figure out well i'm not college material so i have nothing and almost quit. This is a large example of what we are seeing around our area and kids i know including my own. I've tried to preach to everyone I know including my own that you can have a fruitful life if you "work" for a living.

We often just toss out they are just lazy, i think they are often just defeated. Sad reality, and often they don't know what's available. Schools really teach kids nothing for the next level. Why not be a plumber, electrician, builder or welder?

Man to skill myself and work for a company like weatherby building guns/stocks whatever in a climate controlled environment? Sign me up! :)

Going to be interesting what the job force looks like years from now, it's already looking pitiful, and all we are doing is raising wages. Money can't fix this problem, if your not saving you should the crash will be real hard i'm afraid.

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 07:24:28 AM »
So True Aggie
Where I hunt in Northern MI. The small town gas one big busines.  Moran Iron Works.
The Owner bought A large furniture co. Building that went under. He turned it into a learning center for the Industrial Arts. And it is very successful.  And I'm sure he hires some of its graduates.
Weatherby  could start it's own school for stock making and engraving.

Mark

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 09:29:40 AM »
There's a definite difference between fine line checkering and coarse line checkering then you have lazer cut and pressed checkering UH !  same with engraving styles from masters vs lazer engraved maybe pressed engraving,   a blind man could tell the difference.   Being a doctor is fine same with a dozen other professions except politicians.  If you have a skill or 2 or 3 you can fend for yourself till the rest of your days.  Take a kid right out of cnc machine training and then put him on an old school Milling machine or Lathe and see what happens.  I need you to go fix or build this one off  part for an old  vehicle or whatever could be a combine , tractor, diesel truck, etc and then get a dumb ass look because he doesn't know how to weld,  can't set up a machine tool doesn't have the apprentenceship under his belt, doesn't have the working knowledge to know what type / strength of metals to use,  etc.   The people that can do these types of work and others are worth their weight in gold.   I always tell young people if they ask the question pick a job you like that will always be there for your life time, such as police , fire, medical, old school welders, machinists,  one off fabrication,  carpenters, construction,  pumbers, electricians,  tin benders, and the list goes on,   they cannot go wrong because these jobs are not going away anytime soon.  We live in a throw away world it breaks just toss it ,  until something breaks and you absolutely need that part and it ain't made anymore, now you are going to pay big bucks too get one made or fixed.   Case in point I was looking at a fine old Mauser 98 non-military hunting rifle that had claw mounts but the  rings  were missing.  $750 bucks to have them made and fitted I could have bought the rifle for less,  so I passed on it.  Not many people use these types of these old school German  mounts anymore other than African dangerous game guides and a few others or if you can afford them and something you like.   To be successful does not mean going to an ivy league school,  A good trade school and maybe learning 3 needed trades and you are set for life.  Farming and Ranching is not a bad way to go a lot of work. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 09:48:30 AM by zoniezonie »

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 11:09:05 AM »
Don't forget,too,that wood blanks must cure for years before they are formed into stocks.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 05:34:35 PM »
I was fortunate as a kid and got a front row seat to see a stock maker (my father) and a great engraver (Guiseppe Forte).  My father simply had a big passion for everything firearm related and that turned into a love of making fine gunstocks.  Guiseppe (Joe) Forte lived in the same town and he and my father became fast friends.  I spent quite a few evenings hearing Joe tell stories of living in Pennsylvania and doing a lot of upland bird hunting.  Joe was all Italian and had the associated temper...I learned a lot from Joe as a kid.  We did a fair amount of bird hunting and big game hunting, which was always entertaining. 

In this day of composite stocks and Cerakote coatings, I just don't think there is the kind of demand for "fine" firearms as there once was.  Realize that Joe could probably earn a living by engraving around four firearms a year, but that is probably not the case today - just not enough demand.  My father was a gunmaker "on the side" while he worked for the federal government and then in retirement - he loved it, but it wasn't some immense money-making venture.  The talent is incredible and if you want to research some of the best in the business, look at the American Custom Gunmakers Guild (ACGG) website.

I have a love for these kind of firearms and I own a fair number, but I also have stainless/composite stocked rifles as well.  I have an appreciation for all of it...from the art to the practical. 

On the subject of wood.  I think the supply of fine wood for blanks is not what it once was, but I think the demand has decreased.  A nice blank of English or French walnut is still pretty darn expensive, but it getting out of reach in the 90s.  I think the market for wood has changed a lot in the last 20-30 years as the demographic for hunting firearms has changed.  My father taught me a lot about selecting stock blanks that make great rifles, so I know what to look for.  Realize that the most ornate, highly figured stock blanks are not always the best wood for hunting rifles - you only want figure in the right places.

I attached a couple of photos.  The stock on the rifle was made by my father and the engraving on the double was done by Guiseppe Forte.  They were both really talented and a lot of fun.

Just a side note: Hand "cut" checkering on stocks differs considerably from laser cut checkering.  Same with laser engraving and actual hand "cut" engraving.  Pretty easy to tell if you look real closely.

JK

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2022, 05:40:18 PM »
Wow! Very nice!  :)

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2022, 06:35:32 PM »
Beautiful guns!!!
BPH

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2022, 07:35:45 PM »
gorgeous stuff there my friend!

Had an old hunting buddy that had a father that wood worked in his spare time as a hobby. Built him a stock for a rifle that was just unreal.

Use to love shop welding and woodworking stuff as a kid, then you know you get married fall victim to chasing the almighty dollar! I would love to convert my building into a hobby shop one day and do projects like this. Or maybe just take the grandkids hunting and fishing when the kids have to work to pay bills! ;)

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2022, 07:36:07 PM »
Your father does beautiful work. My father did as well he was good and that is why i have a hatred for wood now because of him. I still like wood but it just reminds me of him and what he did to me :'(
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2022, 11:03:25 AM »
Outstanding stock and metal work on those guns. JK, how did you come to know Giuseppe Forte?
DosEquisShooter

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2022, 03:27:47 PM »
When you realize that us baby boomers have 70% some of the disposable income, rethinking wood stock availability might nr a good choice. 

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2022, 06:42:59 PM »
danno50 - I came to know Guiseppe (Joe) Forte by complete chance. He worked for Mountain Bell and he and his family moved to Rawlins, Wyoming - where I grew up.

He was into shooting sports (trap, sporting clays, etc.) as was my father; I met him through my father. Joe was pretty outspoken, but funny…

He was a true artist, which I am absolutely not. He always enjoyed showing me his current project and he did beautiful work. He was President of the Custom Engravers Guild at one time, but I’m not sure for how long.

He retired from Mountain Bell and relocated to Prescott, Arizona and passed away some years ago. He was an awesome guy and a great upland bird hunter.
JK