Spike Camp

Howdy...

Howdy...
« on: March 03, 2009, 01:33:23 PM »
Just signed up and dropped in to say howdy from God's Country (North Dakota).  My wife just gave me a LH Accumark in 257 Wby, fulfilling two lifelong desires in one swoop (owning a Weatherby Mark V and owning a 257 Wby).  Haven't had much good weather to really wring it out, but my initial sessions lead me to believe this is is possibly the perfect rifle/round combo for hunting out here on the prairie. After adjusting the trigger down to 3 lbs and using factory Weatherby 110 grain Accubonds, first round hits on fist sized targets was no sweat out to 380 yards, which is as far as I have to work with right now.  I'm thinking this Accumark 257 Roy may well usurp my LH Remington 700 LSS in 270 as my go-to deer/goat rifle.  my wife was so impressed with the 257 Wby that a couple days ago she bought herself a 700 LSS in 257 Wby...
OBAMA:  One Big A** Mistake America

Re: Howdy...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 02:56:23 PM »
I got a pair of socks.   >:(   Welcome to the board.  Elk ever wander your way?
God Bless America

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 05:05:41 PM »
How does it seem that the Accumark is shooting?  Will it put factory ammo into 3/4 inch or less at 100 yards?  I am very interested in an Accumark, and would use it some of the time for long range rockchucks out here in the windy Snake River country in Idaho.  Accordingly, it needs to shoot at least .8 MOA or better to be interesting.  The 257, hot 6mms like the .240 Weatherby, and 25-06s tend to perform better out here at over 300 yards than the 22-250, 223, 220 Swift, etc.  Springtime in most of this area means at least 10 to 15 mph wind, and sometimes much more.

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 10:36:23 PM »
The 257 is an excellant long range gun for deer and antelope. It will do just fine on roch chucks, but I wouldn't shoot the gun all day. It really isn't a "varmint gun". Will it take out a Chuck at 400yrds., Yes.
On deer and antelope, use 100gr. soft nose and go through the chest.... Game Over!
birdman

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 07:17:10 AM »
Steve, so far I've only been able to shoot over the hood of my truck, not conducive to discovering full accuracy potential. Hopefully I can set up a bench and wring her out this weekend. I guessing the factory 110 Accubond load will print MOA or better and I'm very confident I can tweak a handload tighter yet...

I can report that load bucked the wind very impressively at 300+ yards...

RB, we have elk in ND but not in my area. We do get moose around our farmstead on a fairly regular basis. Moose, elk, and bighorn are once in a lifetime, resident only special draw. I drew a moose tag in 90', haven't had luck with the other tags.

A few years ago I hunted elk on one of the indian reservations here in state. They are sovereign nations and have their own laws & regs so aren't part of the once in a lifetime draw bit. Cost a pretty penny, but I got an ancient 6 point bull that scored in the 340's. I'm sure he would have been in the 360's or better in his prime. Used a LH 700 in 338 Mag on that hunt...

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 07:38:13 AM by NDTerminator »

ohr61

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 10:54:02 AM »
Well hello NDTerminator!

I'm glad you're here. I've always wanted to hunt in your state. I had a chance a couple of years ago, to drive a truck for one of those oil drilling oufits. I still kick myself for not doing it...
Orison Rollins

"Life is Tremendous"

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 05:58:15 PM »
Thanks all for the warm welcome, BTW...

Got my Deputy Chiefly duties all finished by noon today, so took the afternoon off to set up the bench and wring the new Accumark out a bit  Probably should preface my following remarks and advise that prior to my recent promotion, to Captain/Deputy Chief, I was a Patrol Sergeant who led & trained our regional HIgh Risk Entry/SWAT Team.
I'm a Sniper School grad and a certified LE Sniper.  So being, my standards for performance with my rifles is very high...

The Accumark is a highly impressive rifle in all aspects but one, that being the trigger.  It''s way too narrow for good control.  I was able to adjust it down to 3 lbs, which is darn good, but not the 2.5 lbs I'm acustomed to.  It also had some creep.  Nothing much I can do about any of this as to my knowledge no LH aftermarket triggers are made for the Mark V.  I'm going to put a shoe on which will help, but I have to say that I expected far better given the price & Weatherby's reputation...

Using Weatherby factory 110 grain Accubonds and a test handload of 74.0 grains of H1000 and a 110 Accubond, I fired several 3 shot groups from the bench & sandbags.
I was using a Burris 4.5-14X42 FFII so fine sight picture was not an issue.

Measured center to center, the best group was .843" (first two shots nearly in the same hole and the third out about .50" or so), the worst was 1.67", and the average for all ewas 1.27".

This was well with Weatherby's garantee of 3 shot 1.5" accuracy.  However, I require all my rifles to be able to consistently print MOA or better. The trigger clearly was the problem.  If I can improve it, I am extremely confident my 257 will be a consistent MOA or better performer...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 06:03:05 PM by NDTerminator »