Spike Camp

Optics on your Weatherby

WMDM

Optics on your Weatherby
« on: March 03, 2009, 07:51:54 PM »
Was looking to top off a 300 WBY and was considering a Huskemaw scope from the boys at Best of the West.  They want $1500 to mount and sight on your rifle so the range/drift can be dialed up on the turrets.  Does anyone have any expeience with this set up?  Really curious as to how true the set up is and how the glass is for low light conditions.

Re: Optics on your Weatherby
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 09:05:31 PM »
I,m not sure on the scope as i have never seen and or used one. I 'm using a 6.5X20 Leupold. I hand load so what i did ws took 10 shots through my cony eliminated the highest and the lowest and averaged the rest. 200 gr. accubonds @3020 ft/sec. I sent the info bullet speed, bullet B.C., caliber and scope model to Kenton Industries.
www.kentonindustries.com they built it for me, cheap well made and looks great. All i did was sight the gun in for 100 yds, set the top dial for 0 and away i went, WMDM it works unbealivably good i,m taking milk jugs out too 650 yds hold right on a squeeze away. If i do my part it all comes together, i was turned on to this by a friend of mine who shoots one off of his 30-378 and i watched him take an average black bear at 730 yds, one shot right in the boiler room. Just a note if you don't have a range finder then your wasting your time and possibly worse wound an animal. Any way just some thing else for you to consider as the price was a lot cheaper even including the new scope.
Take care and happy hunting.   

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 04:53:53 AM »
I have never heard the name before, but found it on the web. It looks like a very good piece of optics and comes packed with outstanding features. The user manual is online and the Bullet Drop Compensator feature makes for good reading. Personally I don't like the idea of ballistic compensators, dials or add-on features. I will be OK if you intend shooting the same bullet weight at a constant velocity or if you are prepared to pay for a custom turret of each bullet weight/powder charge you are going to shoot.

I researched a similar concept build into the Kahles Multi-Zero scopes, but then decided to go for a scope with easy adjustable turrets which will enable me to dial up/down, and compensate for wind easily.

The next step is to create a ballistics table for each load you shoot, freely available software on the web. This enables you to find the number of clicks up or down for a preset distance e.g. 75/100/150/200/250/300/350m. I have zeroed my rifle at 200m and made small laminated cards I can carry in my shirt pocket. I attach a sample I have for a MIL-DOT scope.

In practice when I hunt the guide will call out the distance e.g. 275m, I get the clicks, which say is 5 UP. I adjust the parallax adjustment, set the up/down turret, make sure I get the same target in sight as what he is viewing at, aim, steady, breath and fire. At this time it is normally Ok to let your creator know that you took the life of an animal.

Why let somebody develop your ballistics? Do it yourself you will appreciate the awesome trajectory and capabilities of your 300 Wby Mag to the full. All you need is a good scope, few rounds, targets and a chronograph, there are loads of people on this forum which will help you go for the best.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:00:14 PM by RSABear »

WMDM

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 12:07:18 PM »
You guys really know what your talking about and I appreciate the help.  I think I will try your advice.  My whitetail season is way too far away so I need a project anyway!

Lee

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 06:19:05 PM »
I would be careful. They have had one their web site for a while that the scope was on backorder and I think I was told that they are made in China but not positive . I would buy something that has been around for a while a has a name that can be trusted. For that amount of money you can get some nice optics. Nightforce, Ziess, Kahlas, Swavorski, etc...

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 06:33:05 PM »
 :)On my 300 WSM sub moa I put an Kahles 3.5 x 10 if you can afford one you'll be happy.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 09:55:12 PM »
I did not even mention what scope I have on my rifle - I have a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5 - 30 X 50mm Mil Dot, it is made in Japan and has crystal clear optics. I also have Zeiss, Swarovski and Leupold Rifle Scopes on my other rifles.

A attach the card, I think it is overloaded with information - will modify as time goes on.

This card is for a 180gr Hornady SST/ 480 BC/ 0.271 SD getting launched at 2960ft/s, 5500ft above sea level, 27 Degrees Celsius (our winter & hunting season is quite hot during the day time...)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:29:41 PM by RSABear »

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 10:32:36 PM »
Will never buy a scope made in China again, lesson learned with a Tasco scope for my 22LR. I assumed that all Tasco's were made in Japan.