Spike Camp

Another Ammo Shortage coming?

Another Ammo Shortage coming?
« on: April 04, 2022, 02:44:41 PM »
The past week or two, I've been hearing from a couple sources that despite some relief the past six months, 2022 is going to get even worse than we have seen the past couple years, despite the fact that ammo production has gone up over the same period. Raw materials cost/availability, transportation costs/lack of truck drivers are two of the named culprits for this dismal prediction. Also, supposedly ammo for government purposes is getting a sizable percentage of primer production. I hope this doesn't come to pass. If you're low on any calibers however, I'd try to build up some stock just in case.
Come and take it.

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
Re: Another Ammo Shortage coming?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 03:05:57 PM »
I always said it will get worse before it gets better. November can't come fast enough. Our ammo producers are pledging millions of rounds to the Ukraine. I'm willing to forgo my needs to help! I'm way too old to volunteer. 

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 05:26:57 PM »
 Currently in my area about the only ammo in any numbers are military calibers,  9mm, 5.56, 7.62,  some 12 ga shotgun slugs.   there are small assortments of less popular calibers that float in and are gone in a short time as people pick up the phone and call friends,  hey the ammo is in get down here asap.  Very little powders, NO PRIMERS at all.   A few component rifle bullets ,  some component handgun bullets,  and very little brass,   Rimfire ammo mostly 22 LR some 17 and I didn't see any 22 Mags.   Haven't seen any of the more popular hunting ammo i.e. 270 win,  30-30, 30-06, 300 win for some time.   I wouldn't be at all surprised if the larger companies are geared up for military ammo , makes sense actually , but there is some non military ammo filtering little by little and gone in a few days.  I'm of the opinion you find something YOU USE YOU NEED buy it, don't hesitate, don't think,  buy it, especially the odd ball less popular hard to find ammo / components and stuff you NEED.    I don't think it's going to get any better for some time and the prices I doubt will come down.    Primers if I wanted I can buy all day long at ten times the price + that I was paying pre fanatics.  Stuff is out there but you are going to pay.  I know guys that can get by with 3 boxes of rifle ammo and it would last 10 years plus so  for them it's probably not a big deal as it would be for people that hunt, test, re-load a lot. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 05:39:18 PM by zoniezonie »

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 05:07:39 AM »
My Dad was one that would tell me, stop wasting rounds. He grew up when you couldnít find much ammo, and not much for rifles for sale. I guess l keep that mentality with my big game hunting rifles. Target rifles is a different story, but than l wonít go hungry if l donít have ammo for my target rifles
Mike

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 08:44:25 AM »
I hear that! I was never wasteful, but definitely don't go through ammo like I used to. The old saying about saving for a rainy day really applies to ammo too in the times we live in. Learned my lesson after the 2013 shortage to never allow your stock to get low. If stored properly, ammo will outlast us as far as it going bang when you want it too. If a major SHTF meltdown ever happens, it will also be worth its weight in gold.
Come and take it.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 12:47:01 PM »
Like Carly Simon said, And stay right here 'cause these are the good old days. Get what you need when you can get it, the damage is done, the Democrats have seen to that.
DosEquisShooter

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 03:07:53 PM »
When the poop hits the fan, I have my ducks in a row! It's not how, just when!

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 03:41:39 PM »
I stopped in Academy to buy some ammo today for the first time in a long while and they had a good bit of ammo in most calibers. That's good, except that prices are still double what they were pre-covid. It's looking more and more like over-priced ammo is the new norm indefinitely. Who knows, a year from now, current prices may seem cheap and that's if the shelves don't get empty again.
Come and take it.

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 04:08:23 PM »
Hopefully. a year from now Pelosi is house minority leader at age 90! The senate leader is McConnel at age 88. Maybe it is a no win situation? Expecting a different outcome while reelecting the same people is the definition of lunacy.