Spike Camp

rifle barrel tight abanst wood ?

rifle barrel tight abanst wood ?
« on: March 04, 2009, 03:11:07 PM »
I have accuired an old mark v 1962 German made. The wood is tight aginst the barrel, is this the way its suppose to be? Any reloading help would be nice. It is a 300 wby.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 02:14:46 PM by mr grady »

Re: rifle barrel tight abanst wood ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 02:11:17 PM »
I have aquired an old 1962 mark V 300. It is German made (barrel)? . The wood is very tight aganst the barrel is it suppose to be this way. any info on this gun would be nice.would also like any reloading info.

James

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 05:28:17 PM »
I was surprised to find "supports" in contact with my Mark V barrel. I thought it was perhaps an oversight at the factory, but when I asked someone at Weatherby I was told that the barrels in their larger magnum calibers were not stiff enough to be free-floated. I trust that the folks at Weatherby have done what they believe best, so I have simply left it alone and it works just fine.
We cannot improve our government by electing people that hate our government...

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 06:51:26 PM »
Oregon Jim is right, I bought A 270wby that was free floated, without shooting it I floated my 338-378. Major mistake!! Both rifle's sprayed bullet's worse than A sawed off 12 gauge at 25yrds!!! After putting the "Pressure Point" back in both rifle's, both shoot sub moa out to 300yds and under 2.5" at 500yds. If your gun shoot's good, don't "fix it". I to have A German 300 and I just checked it to see if it is the same as yours, it is,and this gun also shoot's sub moa out to 300yds using 150gn Swift Scirocco bullet's and 90.5gns RL 25 powder @ 3500fps!! Be aware I worked up to this load in 4 stages looking for sign's of pressure,accuracy, etc.ect. You have to play with the load's in these older Weatherby's as some have A 1 in 12 rate of twist not A 1 in 10 and do not stabilize some bullet's.Hope this help's,good luck to you!!! Shoot well...Shoot often...Shoot safe....Jerry
 WBY MAG MAN

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 09:24:42 AM »
Hello again, I will ad that the barrel on my 300wby is not touching any where but the front of the stock where the factory pressure point is!! Selous, I did not mean that you are wrong!! As I have many other gun's that are floated including my 30-378 Accumark and they shoot great. I to contacted Weatherby like Oregon Jim when I had the problem's with my 270 and 338-378 and was told the same thing!! The barrel's on the big mag's are not stiff enough to float, I was puzzled by this because the barrel on that 338-378 is huge, same size as my 30-378 without the fluting and it's floated!! I did what they said and now both shoot perfectly. I do not no if they use different steel or what in those two big bore's or what the difference is, all I no is it fixed the problem!! I have 7 Weatherby's and only 1, the 30-378 is floated now and they all shoot great. I agree if mr grady's 300wby isn't shooting good then have it checked, but if it does, then " if it aint broke, dont fix it" . Have A great day one and all. Shoot well... Shoot often...Shoot safe....Jerry
 WBY MAG MAN

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 04:47:00 AM »
My advice would be to trust that Weatherby knows what they're doing when it comes to their own rifles.  All of my rifles are just as they came from the factory, with the exception of custom oil finishes that I've applied to them, and they shoot at least MOA and, on most days, sub-MOA, with factory ammo.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 06:58:51 AM by JB257460 »
Jerry

************************************************************************************************************************************
All Weatherby, All the Time