Spike Camp

US Army selects Sig Sauer

Re: US Army selects Sig Sauer
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2022, 02:40:34 PM »
When I served it was the standard issue M16A1 rifle.  I really never cared for it,  it's still here although in a much updated version. I really did like the Model 1911 .45ACP and the M60(7.62x51 NATO) Machine Gun.  I carried and qualified with both. They are both long gone.

Now ALL our military small arms are from companies that are not even AMERICAN!  Somebody is getting their pockets lined.

+1

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2022, 03:26:47 PM »
The arms providers are exactly what Ike warned us about in the 1950's!

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2022, 03:54:07 PM »
My late friend said the M1 Garrand was the best. Just don't oil it in freezing weather! He was one of the Chosin few. Walking out of North Korea in minus 40 degree temps! Bad ass Marine that was missing fingers and toes from frostbite! I inherited  Rambo on his passing.

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2022, 04:42:49 PM »
I'm kind of thinking to myself,  I saw it some place where someone mentioned one reasoning for having  a longer more potent long range caliber was to create everyone who is carrying it a basic sniper per say and I say this loosely, or maybe a better way of saying this would allow you  to have a lot more people the capability of longer range shots with a higher hit probability.  Take a look at the Vortex sighting system the Military just bought ,  It's going to go hand and glove with this new rifle,  it pretty much does everything for the shooter to make longer range shots.  I wish I had one,  I'm just  not going to pay what the Military is paying for this new sight system.  Speaking just about the rifle  (not the SAW),  I don't understand if you wanted something a little more modern you could update an AR 10  to do basically the same thing,  lighten it up, new cartridge, make it handle the increased pressures,  and be a whole lot cheaper.   You watch when the R&D is completed and the bugs worked out for some new super  propelled  system in the next few years we will have another switch in weapons. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 04:46:01 PM by zoniezonie »

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2022, 08:36:54 PM »
You can bet government contractors AND politicians are both getting bank accounts filled with our tax dollars. How do you think all these career politicians end up being multi millionaires?
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2022, 10:53:12 AM »
Read it’s the 277 fury. Shooting a 135 grain bullet at 3000 FPS from a 16” barrel. Which will make it lighter, shorter, and more power down range than the two it’s replacing. Looks good on paper anyway
Mike