Spike Camp

Question on Leupold std. scope mounts

kmoore

• View Profile
Question on Leupold std. scope mounts
« on: April 28, 2022, 02:53:24 PM »
I was looking through Leupold web for mounts of a model number of a mount I need. A 2 piece, with front mount dovetail and rear has the windage screws. This is for the FN Mauser.  I have used this type on a rem 700 338 RUM, FN Mauser 358 Norma mag and now a Mauser 375HH mag. Leupold web site has information about the mounts and says " Good for rifles up to 300 win mag." I was going to try the double dovetail mounts when I got the 338 RUM, but tried the STD mounts and after about 15 years and hundreds of rounds it has not failed. All those rifles have brakes or mag N ported barrels.

Finally my question, anyone used the mounts on a rifle larger then a 300 win mag and had them fail?   

I would get a backcountry rail like I put on my 7mm WBY, but they do not even make it for the Mauser action.

I did take off the std mounts from the 358 and put them on the 375HH and have fired 5 rounds just testing it and they are fine. I put a VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 1 inch Leupold on the 375, my first HD scope. So far, I like it. Not to big, long or heavy for the rifle with enough magnification to see shots in paper at 100yds.     
kmoore

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
Re: Question on Leupold std. scope mounts
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 03:23:57 PM »
I bought a used Mark v in 338 Rum weighing a tad over 8 lbs. with scope with those mounts on it. No problems!

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 04:12:26 PM »
I have several of those mounts on some hard kickers, .325 WSM, .340 Wby .375 H&H, and .458 win mag and never once have I had a problem with them. My .340 has put hundreds of rounds down range and they are still holding zero and not faulting. 
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 05:37:12 PM »
Same here my 340 wby. both my 300 wby's. And my 375 h & h all have Leopold or Redfield. Mounts with front dovetail and rear windage screws.
Never had A problem.
Mark

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 09:03:14 PM »
I just remembered that my .460 Wby has them too. Now that thing will test the strength of them and they haven't failed.
Aussie gun nut.

kmoore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2022, 11:12:23 AM »
Thanks guys, I was fishing 2 days without cell service. The statement about about question was a surprise, I had never read or heard anyone saying the 1 or 2 piece std mount was only rated to a .300 win mag. I sold and mounted many years ago. They have been my go to mount on all my rifle with scopes until I put the rail on the Mark V.  On the rail mounts there is no statement on the Leupold site on caliber limits. So back the the range next week and test more loads in the 375hh. Now confident they will not break.       
kmoore

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2022, 12:40:48 PM »
I had to look  up  that statement on Leupolds website, and it's in there.   I have never noticed that before,  glad you brought this up.   I have heard  from other sources these std base issues,  and I have seen it at a gun shop where a friend was replacing screw that had broken on this std base.   Never heard anything bad about the dual dovetails.  Common sense would dictate to use the best mounts possible with heavy  recoiling rifles and heavy large scopes mounted high,   especially with choked down ring spacing,  the farther you space your rings apart the less stress on the mounts. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 12:43:45 PM by zoniezonie »

kmoore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2022, 05:51:30 PM »
Good point about distance between the rings.  I thought about the dual dovetail mounts when I got the 338 RUM but after years of shooting it. I forgot about even looking for any. Seems they are popular on big caliber handguns. For the FN action they do not make them. All these big caliber rifles I have of course, are long actions.   
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 05:59:57 PM by kmoore »
kmoore

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2022, 06:09:04 PM »
My son has dual dove tails on his TC Contender,   no issues