Spike Camp

Another solution for no problem? (00 buck)

Another solution for no problem? (00 buck)
« on: May 03, 2022, 11:40:40 AM »
Federal has come out with this 00 buck load that has copper plated, split pellets. The shot is supposed to split in half on impact, doubling wound channels and reducing penetration. At $2.80 per round for this stuff, I think I'll just stick with plain 'ol 00 buck, which is one helluva defense load already. If anybody likes the idea of this round enough to investigate and/or buy, there's a link below.

https://www.federalpremium.com/shotshell/premium-personal-defense/personal-defense-shotshell-force-x2/11-PD12FX2+00.html
Come and take it.

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
Re: Another solution for no problem? (00 buck)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 12:48:47 PM »
There are places where buckshot is the only legal deer round. The lack of collateral damage may sell it to police. Kind of silly for us!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 12:52:12 PM by Grouchy »

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 06:54:49 AM »
We used slugs in our police shotguns, If the a$$holes are trying to kill me I'm not trying to wound them. Double tap, center mass, evaluate and repeat if needed.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 08:08:26 AM »
I don’t live in an area where shotguns are used on big game, so I can’t speak to that piece.

Having recently shot a few different types of defense shotgun ammunition, my general sense is that not too many people could withstand a hit from a 12 gauge and keep coming…regardless of the shot size chosen.

I’ve been shooting Federal 3” magnums with #4 shot and I definitely wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end.
JK

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 09:01:00 AM »
True... shotgun wounds are devastating. At 3-5 yards, it's going to blast a nasty baseball-sized hole, no matter what size shot comes out of the barrel. Beats a handgun every time. Some people load 2 or 4 shot for indoor defense to lessen penetration through multiple walls and at closer ranges, still massive wounds. Further out, you'll need the buckshot.
Come and take it.

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 10:22:55 AM »
Food for thought,   splits in half ,  half the weight,  less penetration ?

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 10:37:41 AM »
Food for thought,   splits in half ,  half the weight,  less penetration ?
I think that is the point, no lawsuits resulting from unintended targets. I have taken deer with slugs. The slugs don't stop there! Expansion wasn't needed, 74 caliber in and out.  BTW, that was the point of my first post, no collateral damage!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 03:03:42 PM by Grouchy »

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 11:29:39 AM »
We used slugs in our police shotguns, If the a$$holes are trying to kill me I'm not trying to wound them. Double tap, center mass, evaluate and repeat if needed.
     +1
DosEquisShooter

kmoore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 12:51:23 PM »
Years of police range instructor, only used 00 9 pellet load and or slugs. At 25 yards few shooters will get more than a few pellets on target. Cannot remember the spread patterns out of the 18 and 20 inch barrels. 1 hit is all it takes with 00 unless it's outside the kill zone. 15 yards a good shooter will get 100% hits on a full size human target. I remember a hail mary 00 shot through a rear van window, taken by a cop, 1 pellet hit bad guy in head, he was DOA. Cannot remember the range, thinking about 1 city block.             
kmoore

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 03:37:27 PM »
Where did the remaining 8 go?  Buckshot is not a "surgical load". At one city block, an AR would have been a way better choice in this day of litigation settlements. Life has changed drastically!

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2022, 06:11:10 PM »
I reload my own shot shells and the state I live in has cut down the size of the shot that can be used for hunting Turkey to no larger then #4 bird shot due to so many hunters being shot while Turkey hunting. #4 Buck was the shot sized favored by some and is very effective on Turkeys. #2 bird shot was the worse effective and would wad up in the feathers and not penetrate.
As I said I load my own and have a 1 1/2oz load in 2 3/4" shells that will cut a soda can in half at 40yds out of my Remington 1100 12ga chambered in 3" mag. The load is not safe in other shot guns that are not gas operated so I won't print the formula. The recoil is very intense, it is also the only load that has caused me discomfort after shooting it. I have since changed the stock and recoil pad on the gun.
The county I live in split in half the areas where you could use a rifle for deer hunting and made the lower half shotgun only.
I bought a Browning BPS in 12ga because they claimed 1" groups at 100yds with premium slugs. The barrel is equipped with a 4" rifled choke tube. I found hour glass shaped sabots in 2 3/4" shells to be the most accurate and extremely deadly since they would penetrate 3 and 1/2 10ply steel belted truck tires threw the tread plus a wood pallet the target was stapled to.( that equals 6 10ply belts) The tires were set up at 100yds. I had three stacks set up first thinking they would hold the slugs but I was wrong, I found skid marks on the ground where the slugs were plowing up dirt and still kept going and I had to set up a forth stack to hold them. They still penetrated the 4th stack but they couldn't fully penetrate the back side and stuck in the belt or bounced off landing inside the tire casing or found laying on the ground.
There was a movie and later a TV show about Aliens who came to earth and as emigrants long story short some were criminals and the weapon of choice was the 12ga shot gun with Sabot slugs.
One scene was a shoot out and a police officer was standing behind a street lamp pole for cover. The Alien criminal shot through the pole and killed the officer with a 12ga loaded with Sabots. I thought it was Bolliwood bull crap stunt but now know it could happen in real life.
Sorry for the long winded post just wanted to share my experiences and experiments with the 12ga.
TD

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2022, 07:08:53 PM »
I have killed coyotes at night with #4 shot out of a 30 inch,full ckoked barrel out to 60 yards.They are damn effective at 50 yards.Everyone needs to shoot something at night with some 4 shot with a high candle power light behind it.It's amazing what you can see and what the shot does on the way to target.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

kmoore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2022, 09:01:02 PM »
Answer to the question were where the other 8 pellets. All in the rear of the full size van. Can't remember all exactly but some were stopped in the doors, others made it into the vehicle and lodged in seats. I think the magic pellet was the only 1 that hit glass. Yea a rifle would have been better but that was before cops carried them in patrol. The thug had done a bank robbery and shot at responding officers as I recall.   
kmoore

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2022, 11:49:38 AM »
Incredible great pattern at a block away!   :)

kmoore

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2022, 01:02:24 PM »
Incident happened around 1990. I reviewed or read through far to many police shootings to remember all details. What has stuck to me was 1 pellet did the job and a range not known for lethal hits. 
kmoore