Spike Camp

Weatherby ammo now with Swift Scirocco IIs on the 300 Weatherby

eford

• View Profile
The not-so-secret Swift Scirocco IIs are now loaded on Weatherby factory ammo. I received an email on it this morning. The Nosler Accubonds are hard to get, according to the email, so the Swifts are in place. I think anyone who uses the Scirocco likes it enough to keep using it. I have seen the deer fall to Sciroccos as if they were hit by lightning. (My 7mm Wby loves the 150 grain Scirocco.)
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherby ammo now with Swift Scirocco IIs on the 300 Weatherby
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 03:21:57 PM »
I am a real fan of the Swift A-Frame at the short distances I typically take hogs. The Scriocco hasn't hasn't been as good close up. They are great on paper.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 03:23:40 PM by Grouchy »

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 09:16:21 PM »
The podcast lauded the 300 Weatherby and the Scirocco's.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 11:45:03 PM »
IMO  both Swift designs Scirocco II and A-Frame  are Tier 1 bullets and about as good as they get.    One  dis advantage in the Scirocco line is one bullet weight per caliber  from 6mm to 7mm and the 338.  A-Frames have a  better selection of bullet weights.   A lot of people don't need the A-Frames for what they hunt and with long range hunting becoming more popular I would think Swift should need to invest in several bullet weights per caliber in the Scirocco II line-up.  Just a thought.   

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 08:30:04 AM »
Just got an e-mail notice. The 300 Wby has a new bullet selection it's called the "Hammer". A cnc machined copper projectile.  Watching a video of a target shoot they leave what looks like a vapor trail, guess it wouldn't be hard to figure out where you were hitting and adjust accordingly.

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 09:10:36 PM »
I have several boxes for the 300 wby ammo, bought some 257 when they were available wish i would have purchased more. My guns love them, had some loaded for 240 (when you could) again my 240's love them. 270 we loaded some 130's. Hunt with all mine regularly - Short range or long range i'm a fan of the accuracy and performance.

Do wish swift offered more weights, but kind of like barnes they've proven to be a good fit. I recently acquired a 7mm LH euro, plan on loading some 150's. Should be great for about 90 percent of everything i hunt with. I shoot that bullet out of 280's and man they work great.

Did i mention i was a fan?? ;)

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 09:12:00 PM »
Have you seen the price of this Hammer ammo? Ouch...
Bill

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 12:04:08 AM »
Have you seen the price of this Hammer ammo? Ouch...

$179 USD for a box of 300 Wby  ammo with hammer bullets  :o  wow,  that would be north of 200 canuckistan rubles here. Good luck selling that. I have nothing against hammer bullets, they look decent, but let's be honest, when you look at the ballistics of the load, it looks alright, but it's nothing special either. It's only an inch flatter @ 500 yards, with a little less energy than the 180 gr barnes ttsx load that's $70 a box cheaper.

Rob

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2022, 03:42:57 PM »
I would guess they are using available components. Available counts in these days!

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2022, 03:53:59 PM »
I would guess they are using available components. Available counts in these days!

Adam said on a post on here some time back that they will be loading ammo with whatever quality projectiles they can get.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2022, 03:31:02 PM »

Adam said on a post on here some time back that they will be loading ammo with whatever quality projectiles they can get.

You are right Brett (BB340).  The only good news about being unable to get a lot of bullets is that we have tried some excellent new bullets recently in our Weatherby cartridges.  The Swift Scirocco and Hammer have been two of them.  We have had really good results.  We have used Swift for several years now and have been impressed with not only the accuracy but the terminal performance as well.  As for Hammer, they are made up in Montana and they have designed a really good all copper hunting bullet that is turned on a lathe.  To say they are accurate is an understatement.  They are expensive indeed...but you will not be disappointed with how well they shoot. 

We will continue to explore different bullet options, especially as some of the "big name" bullets are hard to come by.  We still have some bullets on order with 2024 delivery dates from our suppliers.  Because I refuse to wait that long, we will push the boundaries of what we have shot in the past and continue to introduce some new bullets/loads.

Stay tuned,

Adam 

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2022, 03:44:07 PM »
Good news! Have you tried any hard cast lead? I see them as having potential in my 1958 Mark V with a 1in12 twist.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 03:57:33 PM by Grouchy »

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2022, 03:19:26 AM »

You are right Brett (BB340).  The only good news about being unable to get a lot of bullets is that we have tried some excellent new bullets recently in our Weatherby cartridges.  The Swift Scirocco and Hammer have been two of them.  We have had really good results.  We have used Swift for several years now and have been impressed with not only the accuracy but the terminal performance as well.  As for Hammer, they are made up in Montana and they have designed a really good all copper hunting bullet that is turned on a lathe.  To say they are accurate is an understatement.  They are expensive indeed...but you will not be disappointed with how well they shoot. 

We will continue to explore different bullet options, especially as some of the "big name" bullets are hard to come by.  We still have some bullets on order with 2024 delivery dates from our suppliers.  Because I refuse to wait that long, we will push the boundaries of what we have shot in the past and continue to introduce some new bullets/loads.

Stay tuned,

Adam

Thanks Adam, I do not envy any manufacturer company right now, crazy times;