Spike Camp

Tite Group Powder Sticking to Rcbs Charge Master.

Tite Group Powder Sticking to Rcbs Charge Master.
« on: May 08, 2022, 10:19:15 AM »
I am getting into Cowboy Action Shooting.
And Bought 2 lbs of Hodgdon Tite  Group.
For my 45 long Colt.  And at 6 grains per round. Looks like I have,a couple of years worth.
Problem is Static cling I believe. But it's very bad. And leaves the hopper sticky. I had to scrape the powder out with soft brushes and pipe clraners.
I read on line to use anti static dryer sheets.  But some say that makes it even worse.
Has any one on here ever noticed this problem ?
And if so what works ?
Mark

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
Re: Tite Group Powder Sticking to Rcbs Charge Master.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 11:31:20 AM »
I have not had that problem but my humidity is 60% plus where I do my loading. That may be the difference?  :)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 12:41:28 PM »
Just add water, ok ok l am kidding kind of 🤷‍♂️😂
In between loading sessions, l wipe the hopper with a lightly dampened paper towel. Just enough to remove static. Let dry for at least 2 days. Seems to help
Mike

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 04:26:26 PM »
I am of no help as mine works great with all the powders I use.. ;D
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 07:08:59 PM »
Thanks Mike
I ran several damp paper towels up the shoot with a wooden squire.  Just can't believe how sticky that stuff is. Like it bonded to the plastic.
I don't think I will use it again.
Mark

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 08:36:47 PM »
I run it through my Dillon 550's and Square deal B with no problems. I have had minor problems with other flake type powders but I just use a sash brush to knock it off the sides of the hopper when I'm threw. My Dillon powder measures have spring loaded knockers that settles the powder with each charge which also helps to get consistent powder charges.
TD

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2022, 10:07:32 PM »
I don't use one,  I'm kind of old fashion.  Today I load for fun and when I do use a measure it's usually an old Lyman 55 powder measure or  sometimes  Dillons both with plastic reservoirs and never a problem.    Two schools of thought load powder by Volume or load by Weight.   The little reading I did just now suggests some people have had the problem you are having in the past.     In another life time we had  all metal  powder measures and never a sticking or bridging problem.   One thing that could happen is the Plastic they use in your powder measure and also if you leave it in the reservoir for long periods ,   I've left powder in some measures for years especially the Dillons and only discolored the plastic but never stuck.  We do live in a very dry area and that might help also.   I don't leave powder sitting in the measures for any length of time  anymore I'll pull the powder and back in original containers.   Normally for lite 45 Colt  lead bullet loads we use Unique,  it's dirty burning,  but very accurate. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 10:28:15 PM by zoniezonie »

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2022, 06:21:44 AM »
Thank you all.
One of the guys on the S.A.S.S. forum sent me a video. Tite Group is A nitroglycerin based powder. And can melt plastic.  I made the mistake of leaving it in the hopper because I thought it maybe damp. As it was clumping.
It can flat out destroy your plastic hopper.
Dillon hoppers do not seem to have a problem with tite group powder.
Hodgdon will be getting a call from me today.
Mark