Spike Camp

Powder coated bullets melting from nitro based powders.

A spin off from the tite group powder destroying plastic hoppers if left in the hopper.
Is in the same video. The guy tested several well known powders like red dot and unique.
That are nitro based.  They eat the powder coating off your loaded bullets.
He said powders like clays have zero nitro and are a better choice when loading powder coated bullets.
I need a list of what powders are nitro based.
Here is the name of the you tube vide. Wish I knew how to post it.
Mark

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
Re: Powder coated bullets melting from nitro based powders.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 09:21:18 AM »
Static electricity will do some strange things. If you leave the D C motor on while the powder sits there, more static builds up.  Low humidity makes it worse. I've seen it eat up the lead sleeves and lead sheathed cables we used at the telco for years when Washington D C installed their subway running on 660 volts D C current.

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 10:44:37 AM »
Kevin
Look up that video on you tube.
I no doubt believe you on the static. Several fine ball powders I have used react to static. Bit in the case with Nitro based powders.  It's A Chemical reaction not static.
He puts powder coated bullets in lids of different  gun powders. And shows how it affects the powder coated bullets. Just go to show once again for every thing you get easy.  You get something hard. I'm this case. Powder coated bullets seem to be A God send. For no lead fouling. But use the wrong powder. And you got a sticky mess. And maybe worse as the powder  deterates.  The dia.of the bullet shrinks.
Mark

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 12:13:06 PM »
It would be fairly easy to prove.  Put the powder coating in the powder, minus the lead in a glass dish.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 12:18:29 PM by Grouchy »

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 01:21:14 PM »
I think you will find it is the either in the powder that is eating or melting the powder coat.
I love the smell of nitro glycerin. ;D
TD

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2022, 03:08:53 PM »
Put the lead alone in the powder?  ;D

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 06:34:00 PM »
The powder has to be baked first.
I talked to the guy at Missouri bullets.  The bullets I bought from him are not powder coated. But they have a coating ovet the lead.he asked me to pull a bullet right over the phone. And I was happy to say no powder was sticking to the bullet and the coating on the bullet was hard and dry.
I will try the gun powder test on the red bullets I bought from Scarlett.  They were a little more tacky feeling.
Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 05:44:02 AM »
Interesting stuff Mark, thanks for sharing
Mike

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 08:00:33 PM »
It might be an idea to look up the chemical properties of various suitable small arms guns powders. Generally  there are  two types  (single based) Nitrocellulose and, (double Based) a combination of Nitroglycerin and Nitrocellulose.  There are others no longer made,   Nitrocellulose can be wood based or cotton based.  I don't keep up with this stuff too much anymore there most likely are other such as the newer IMR enduron and Hodgdons Copper fouling eraser type powders that might be made differently I don't know.  Then mix in any of the Deterrent coatings either mixed in (built into the powder) or coated on,   these powders along with shape , size, holes in them , how they are cut, or round, and the chemical make-up of each powder.  Makes you wonder how they all come together.   I kind of have a weird feeling about powder coating bullets to begin with,  I know they are hard on bullet sizing dies if they re-strike.  It's not that thick of a coating as per copper plated bullets which are left in solution and timed to get the correct thickness of plating and the better plated  bullets are re-striked to correct size and roundness.  Just food for thought let's say .003 thousanths rifling and .001 thousanths of powder coat,  that rifling has to cut into or mush into the base metal somewhere . To what extent  that's dependent on size of the bullet in relation to bore ,  type of rifling, condition of the bore, etc.     Your old 100 year old military rifles have deep rifling sometimes .010 thousands ,  one of the reasons old corrosive  primed military ammo works as well as it does and given the depth of these old Military rifling still shoot pretty darn well with old and  new ammo even though the bore is pitted, rusted and looks like it's all shot out.  New barrels aren't built this way and maybe that's a good thing,  we sometimes make improvements as we progress.   Let's face it pistol bullets are not that big of a deal or should I say mot as accurate as high end rifle bullets.  I know IPSC shooters that wlll shoot 30,000 rounds  sometimes before they wash out the rifling in their 38 supers or other caliber pistols, so if the shoots fine and easier to clean and is accurate enough that's a good thing.   

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 08:37:38 PM »
I just checked 1 of my polymer coated bullets it's been sitting in tite group powder for 5 days. With no sticking of powder to the bullet.
This is from bullets by scarlet. 45 cal.  Hi tek red polymer coating. And tite group has the worst reputation for being sticky on plastic and powder coated bullets.
So it looks like the bullets I already loaded are safe. That was a big concern. Glad I don't have to pull them.
Mark

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2022, 12:01:54 AM »
Good deal ,  looks like the Hi Tec poly coating may be the ticket.   

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2022, 05:40:35 AM »
I wouldn't jump the gun just yet since there may be others/powder coat that will work just as well.
Some people are using cheap powders from sources like Harbor Freight which sells the cheapest chinese powder coat they can get. HyTec is from Australia which is high end product.
The OP in his post has never Identified the brand of powder coat that was melting, or I missed it since I skim read.
TD