92, wind, 23-28, humidity 14%.
Crazy dry here, and no relief in the near future
Mike

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
Re: Hot, dry, and windy
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 04:15:03 PM »
82, 60% and no rain here in the future! We are about to loose some palm trees. Our cacti are loving life! Hurricane season is just around the corner. We don't need the rain all at once!   ;D

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 06:17:20 PM »
Cold, wet and windy... Beautiful weather. 12*c, 100% rainy/sleeting. So nice I am going out for a hunt in the morning.  8)
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 06:26:05 PM »
Good luck and enjoy.

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 06:28:17 PM »
Stage 1 fire restrictions with red flag warnings in  NE Arizona,  eventually they will shut the forest down ,  pretty typical  the last few years.   They normally re-open when the Monsoons hit.   It's been windy for day's,  I had to call the power company  2 days ago because the  bracket holding the top bolt on the electric transformer on the pole  broke and transformer was swinging in the wind only held in place by the 2 drop wires tied into the main lines.  Guys came out quickly and replaced the transformer.  They did a good job.  Been wanting to go shooting but totally unsafe right now with the dryness and wind, and they have restrictions on shooting and other outdoor activities right now anyway.  We don't need any more fires.   
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 06:41:20 PM by zoniezonie »

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 05:13:44 AM »
Havenít been out shooting PDís. One spark from a bullet hitting a rock could be enough to light the grass.
Been hauling water to the shrubs we planted the last couple springs. Keeping the water tanks full all the time.
Mike

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 08:04:55 AM »
We got some much needed rain this morning. It drown out the wild fires 30 some miles west of me.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2022, 06:04:59 PM »
Don't forget to set a reminder for the "Total Lunar Eclipse" Sunday night. The earth will pass directly between the sun and the moon casting a red shadow on the moon. Starts at about 9:30pm, but total eclipse between 10:29 to 11:54 pm and the sky's suppose to be clear around here. Good luck viewing. 
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2022, 09:04:49 PM »
WE finally caught a real good rain.  Hope it keeps coming for a month or so,
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 05:46:49 AM »
Better forecast for today, high mid 80ís, winds 9-15 out of the SW. Yesterday was about the same. Still no rain
Mike

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2022, 06:47:39 AM »
86% humidity, temp 78ļ, expected to reach 100ļ 3mph breeze.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2022, 10:40:40 AM »
From last Sunday, May 8th through the 11th when this thread was started, I shoveled snow 3 different days, with the last day the snow was 6 to 8" deep.  Today the mountains around me and not much higher than me are still very white.  I heard a couple of days ago that our snowpack has finally reached 100% of normal.  Springtime in the Rockies!  ;D

Havenít been out shooting PDís. One spark from a bullet hitting a rock could be enough to light the grass.
Been hauling water to the shrubs we planted the last couple springs. Keeping the water tanks full all the time.

This was a big discussion last fall among the Board members of our Range this past year.  One of the members was very adamant that sparks from the bullets hitting the steel gongs would start a grass fire.  He even claimed that he had seen glowing ricochets flying 200-300 yards.  He also provided a home video of someone shooting one of our 100 yard steel gongs at night that showed sparks coming down off the gong.

I countered his claim, saying that copper and lead bullets DO NOT produce sparks.  To back up my claim, I used a high speed grinder to cut in half copper and lead bullets.  THEY DID NOT PRODUCE A SINGLE SPARK.

The gongs at our range are mild steel, and are easily deformed by copper and copper jacketed bullets.  It is my contention that any sparks coming off a steel gong are tiny steel fragments, and not sparking copper or lead fragments.  Those fragments also only glow for a few feet from the gong.

One of the other Board members produced a report that the US Forest Service had made showing their findings that copper and lead bullets DO NOT spark when hitting rocks.

Unfortunately the Board vote was 3-2 on the side of bullets producing sparks, and the gongs came down until it snowed.

In the meantime, I put limestone rocks at each of our hundred yard berms so I would have something to shoot at that I could verify the hits like you can with steel gongs.  Even at the 300 and 430 yard berms, I could tell if even the .223 bullets hit the rock or the dirt.

In the 50 some years that I have been shooting centerfire rifles, and having shot hundreds of rocks, I have never seen a spark caused by a copper or copper jacketed bullet hitting a rock.

Now a tracer bullet hitting a rock is a completely different story.
NRA Endowment Life Member

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2022, 11:35:43 AM »
My neighbor washed his cars this morning. That is usually a pretty good "rain dance". The clouds bult up, a slight lightning show with them. It turned out to be just enough drops to rain spot his clean cars. 

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2022, 06:04:34 AM »
From last Sunday, May 8th through the 11th when this thread was started, I shoveled snow 3 different days, with the last day the snow was 6 to 8" deep.  Today the mountains around me and not much higher than me are still very white.  I heard a couple of days ago that our snowpack has finally reached 100% of normal.  Springtime in the Rockies!  ;D

This was a big discussion last fall among the Board members of our Range this past year.  One of the members was very adamant that sparks from the bullets hitting the steel gongs would start a grass fire.  He even claimed that he had seen glowing ricochets flying 200-300 yards.  He also provided a home video of someone shooting one of our 100 yard steel gongs at night that showed sparks coming down off the gong.

I countered his claim, saying that copper and lead bullets DO NOT produce sparks.  To back up my claim, I used a high speed grinder to cut in half copper and lead bullets.  THEY DID NOT PRODUCE A SINGLE SPARK.

The gongs at our range are mild steel, and are easily deformed by copper and copper jacketed bullets.  It is my contention that any sparks coming off a steel gong are tiny steel fragments, and not sparking copper or lead fragments.  Those fragments also only glow for a few feet from the gong.

One of the other Board members produced a report that the US Forest Service had made showing their findings that copper and lead bullets DO NOT spark when hitting rocks.

Unfortunately the Board vote was 3-2 on the side of bullets producing sparks, and the gongs came down until it snowed.

In the meantime, I put limestone rocks at each of our hundred yard berms so I would have something to shoot at that I could verify the hits like you can with steel gongs.  Even at the 300 and 430 yard berms, I could tell if even the .223 bullets hit the rock or the dirt.

In the 50 some years that I have been shooting centerfire rifles, and having shot hundreds of rocks, I have never seen a spark caused by a copper or copper jacketed bullet hitting a rock.

Now a tracer bullet hitting a rock is a completely different story.

Glad someone is getting moisture!

Weather l agree or not on the bullet causing a spark. I am not willing to test it out in a drought area, where a fire could cause lives
The PD will be there after we get rain also
Mike

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2022, 07:32:24 AM »
We have snow forecasted for this weekend.
We can use the moisture but snow? Come on man!
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild